Worst.. hardware sequencer.. EVER

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
synth3tik
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Pro One/Prophet 2002+/Prophet 08SE/Cat/M1/Poly6/Jupiter6/JD-990/SidStation/SE-1X/Microwave II/Matrix 6R/S3000/S612/Source
Band: Batteries Aren't Food/J.a.F.a

Re: Worst.. hardware sequencer.. EVER

Post by synth3tik » Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:38 am

StepLogik wrote:Both of my old MMT-8's were prone to losing their memories. I would power 'em up and *poof* all data gone. After a couple of rounds backing up to cassette tape which SUCKED and took forever, I finally got an Alesis datadisk.

If Roland doesn't get its a*s in gear and release another update to the Fantom G sequencer, I'll be adding it to this list as well. No drum grid? WTF?

The MMt-8s were prone to lose memory. Mine never did, but I still kept an extra one around with back ups on it. When it comes to easy of use and results though I have to say the MMT-8 was awesome

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:52 am

synth3tik wrote:
StepLogik wrote:Both of my old MMT-8's were prone to losing their memories. I would power 'em up and *poof* all data gone. After a couple of rounds backing up to cassette tape which SUCKED and took forever, I finally got an Alesis datadisk.

If Roland doesn't get its a*s in gear and release another update to the Fantom G sequencer, I'll be adding it to this list as well. No drum grid? WTF?

The MMt-8s were prone to lose memory. Mine never did, but I still kept an extra one around with back ups on it. When it comes to easy of use and results though I have to say the MMT-8 was awesome
yeah i wrote a lot of great tunes on the mmt-8's. the only complaint i could come up with was the combination button pushing in order to accomplish certain tasks. other than that, they were a dream. the track mutes were perfect for live performance.

BlackGnosis
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: See signature image.
Band: Eridani V

Post by BlackGnosis » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:13 am

MC808 paws down. realize you messed up a while back and you gotta start NEW. no select channel delete option :( Just purge and erase all option....
Ashe37 wrote:I find it funny that you're a guitar pedal snob and yet don't own a single analog synth.

nuromantix

Post by nuromantix » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:41 am

Some great stuff being dissed - MC500 /50 / 80 etc are all excellent, extremely solid timing, quick to use once you've learnt it. Takes a while to learn though. The Kawai was super-solid as well. How anyone can diss the 303 I don't know, I think it's just people who wish they could afford one :)
MC202 is hellish, QX21, QX5 and the Korg ones mentioned are all practically useless, also the SZ1 is a f**k.
Anyone ever use the Yamaha QX1? That was so funny with 5.25" disks and it had 8 midi outs and the most convoluted menu editing system a la RX5 - lots of menus printed on the front of the machine..... I mean it was good at the time but definitely not one I'd choose to use now.
Why can't someone make the SH101 sequencer as a standalone unit with clock & CV and Gate in and outs? I would buy 3 of them.

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:46 pm

BlackGnosis wrote:MC808 paws down. realize you messed up a while back and you gotta start NEW. no select channel delete option :( Just purge and erase all option....
i've owned both the MC-808 and MC-909. Terrible sequencers on both.

Syn303
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Quite a bit...
Band: Syn303

Post by Syn303 » Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:20 am

StepLogik wrote:i've owned both the MC-808 and MC-909. Terrible sequencers on both.
Yeah, about a million button presses to just start making a pattern, both convoluted sequencers on them 2 :x
| syn303.bandcamp.com | soundcloud.com/syn303 |

Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:41 pm

alpha5000dk wrote:I suddenly remember I once had a Roland MC-50 with mkII OS for a short periode. I never figured out how to use it. Never got anything made with it. Might be even worser than the D-20's built-in sequencer. I HATE menu diving on Roland instruments :evil:
The MC 50 is easy for general stuff. I don't use the computer for sequencing.
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:23 pm

Yeah, I agree I find the MC-50 (I have a MkI) to be fairly intuitive and simple. Though I use it mainly as a MIDI recorder to combine sequences, or little bits played live, from other gear.

I do agree with the RX-5 that got mentioned already; parts of it are pretty arcane. I find editing the sounds (which is it's strong point, and the reason the gigantic beast gets to stick around; oh yeah, and they're dirt cheap nowadays) to be much easier than actually programming a step pattern on it. I probably just ought to sequence it from something else, but I've been too lazy thus far.
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by StepLogik » Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:31 am

Well I'm going to go ahead and officially add the Fantom G to this list #-o

No drum grid editor.
No step sequencer.
No "real" piano roll editor.

Roland's "Microscope" edit is their replacement for the piano roll editor but its a joke. It would take 5 hours to enter a simple 4-bar pattern into that editor.

Oh, the one screen where the mouse doesn't work? The Microscope edit.

I should trade this thing in and get an MV-8800.
Last edited by StepLogik on Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

ripe

Post by ripe » Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:44 am

My vote would be for the Brother PDC100 sequencer... first off, why did Brother *make* a sequencer, they make labellers and sewing machines!

Horrible machine, it just sucks the creativity out of you.

cheers
ripe

braincandy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by braincandy » Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:29 am

seamonkey wrote:While not necessarily the worst I would have to nominate the onboard sequencer on the Roland XP50! I finally quit trying because I would get tired and frustrated and any musical ideas were lost.
Easiest for me is the sequencer on the Ensoniq VFX-SD amd the Ensoniq EPS. :D
Agreed about the XP-50. Coming from a background using the Ensoniq ESQ-1 and EPS, it was frustrating. The ESQ-1's sequencer was very easy for me to learn and work with and I was only 15 at the time. The EPS's sequencer was a breeze to use as well.
Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster | Squier CV Duo-Sonic | e6400 Ultra | Blofeld | a bunch of effects

novielo
Gear: in order of appearence:
sh2000 s612 nord modular mpc1000 kp3 ms-something cp-251 gameboy s6000 and other crappy stuff
Band: one-man band
Location: by the river, st-jerome, quebec, canada, north america

Post by novielo » Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:46 am

Koa wrote:I was greatly dissapointed with the MMT8. It just never met my needs as I though it would. The QX21 worked much better for me despite no memory and only 2 tracks. I got more done using that + an MSQ-100 than I ever would if I'd have just an MMT8. Cheap plastic case too.
what you didn't like with the mmt8? they only thing i don't like about it is that you can't go from record to play without stopping the sequence. but otherwise i love it.

my infamous sequencer ever would be the an200, suppose to be a sequencer but it's h**l to program + when doing a song with it when the programs change the volme or effects drops for a short period of time, just like if it was loading... wich makes it pretty use less...
-Save yourself the time and have a conversation with a plastic chair. -RobotHeroes

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:03 am

novielo wrote:an200
+1, that I'm using it only as a tone generator next to the RS7K which in contrary has a great sequencer.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

adsr

Post by adsr » Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:04 pm

i also dont see the issues that people are throwing out about the MMT8. i am on my third and, even with older versions, never had issues big enough to put it on the chopping block. it is SUPER intuitive and allows me to "create" rather then "work". that, to me, is one of the most important thing a sequencer or synth can offer.
Micron - MMT8 - AX60 - MPC2000 - MPC500 - S2800 - CZ3000 - SK1 (x2) - SQ80 - EA1 - ER1 - mK - Poly 800 II - BSR - Alpha Juno2 - JV1010 - TR505 - MicroQ - DX21 - RT123

zmd
Gear: ion, djx, su200, fb01, sk50d, dotcom, kodyssey, volcas, minibrute, minilogue, tg33, 522, streichfett, monotrons, cp35
Band: Shrimp ring/usse/wrote/usurper

Post by zmd » Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:27 pm

Vxster wrote:Yamaha QX21

right up there, isn't it? just rotten. the bouncing is my least fave part of it i think. i recently got a qx5 for free, and i've not been able to bring myself to even plug it in.
that's not dirt, that's chili sauce!