Worst.. hardware sequencer.. EVER

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Re: Worst.. hardware sequencer.. EVER

Post by StepLogik » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:00 pm

Picked up an MV-8800 last weekend. As far as my experience goes, this is the best hardware sequencer I've ever used. Its really like having FL Studio or Cubase implemented in hardware.

Some annoyances: The sliders don't xmit midi data when the pads are set to control track mutes. The piano roll editor is still pretty wonky, but not as bad as the fantom-G. You can't use a mouse to change note lengths by shortening/lengthening to the note. Instead you click on it and then adjust the note's parameters using the value dial or mouse. You cannot change the midi note numbers for the pads which is a real shame. When using a 909 or 707, you have to constantly switch pad banks instead of having all instruments on one pad bank. I believe this can be resolved by using MIDI-OX (or a hardware MIDI event processor like the Yamaha MEP-4 if you don't want to incur software latency) to remap the note numbers but I haven't tried it yet.

Whats interesting is that I started out using the mouse exclusively, but I've started using the hardware controls more and more. By using a combination of both, its possible to work extremely quickly.

2 MIDI outputs is a nice bonus. I'd like to get the MV-OP1 output expander and the breakout box - that allows you to gain a 3rd MIDI output. Finding those items is probably next to impossible.

XpanderXt

Post by XpanderXt » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:58 pm

Worst by far was the 'Brother'.
It was basically a 5 1/4" floppy disk drive with a 7 segment display on it.
The worst user interface ever made on any product.

Yamaha QX1, Roland MC4 and MC8, Oberheim DS2A (it added an extra note the first time through the sequence), and Moog analog sequencer (no pitch stability) were the other worst ones I used.

Best:
Akai MPC5000, Akai MPC4000, Roland MC500 MK II

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:49 pm

lhm1138 wrote:This piece of s**t:

Yeah, it was powerful. It's about as fun to use as it looks, though. Looks like it should have run DOS.

that's inspirational design. Where do I insert the paper?

His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

depulse
Gear: List is too long, analog and digital synths and samplers....

Post by depulse » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:53 pm

Worst sequencer:

Korg SQD-1

To be smashed into nanoparticles whenever seen :evil:

Korg TritonExtr+MOSSRoland XV5080+D550+MKS80+MKS70+MKS7+MKS50+S550+JP8080+Juno60+JD990, ATC1, ESQM Yamaha A5k+An1x+SY77+TG77+TX802+TX7 Akai S5k+MPC1k, Mopho, Blofeld, EMaxRack, NordRack2, Indigo2, Rogue, MD, Linndrum, Pro1, Drumulator, M1AM1, Pulse

nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by nuketifromorbit » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:12 am

balma wrote:

Yeah, it was powerful. It's about as fun to use as it looks, though. Looks like it should have run DOS.

that's inspirational design. Where do I insert the paper?

Although I sold mine after a brief period of time, I actually really liked the mc500. In fact I liked it more than the mmt8. While it does have a bit of Roland quirkiness its actually very fun to work with, but since I have an 8 track sequencer on my sq80 which is almost as good it had to go. Also while the an200/dx200 sequencers are certainly lacking and supposedly prone to first note skipping when switching between patterns manually, they aren't that hard to figure out. Compared to an electribe though, they flat out suck in comparison, although the ability to reverse a sequence is pretty nifty.

The only sequencers that I have used that I out right hate are software sequencers, due to their learning curves and seemingly endless hatred for whatever machine I'm trying to run them on. The exception being techno toys which is free and friggin fun as h**l.
We'll always be remembered, we'll always be dismembered.

Dj Pound
Gear: Korg ESX-1
Korg EMX-1
Korg ES-1
Microkorg
Akai MPC-2000XL
Boss Br-532

Post by Dj Pound » Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:16 am

This thread makes me appreciate my electribes a little bit more :mrgreen:
Korg ESX-1
Korg EMX-1
Korg ES-1
Microkorg
Akai MPC-2000XL
Boss Br-532

mome rath
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by mome rath » Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:15 am

urbanscallywag wrote: Elektron Monomachine/Machinedrum just because it takes a while to get used to copying and pasting patterns if you want to edit them without the changes being saved. Destructive editing really should be something the user should be able to turn on and off.

x0xb0x because the key presses don't always seem to register on mine at least. Maybe the buttons are bad, or maybe the scanning isn't done well.

buhhh !! these are the best/easiest sequencers ever. something's wrong with your x0xb0x if key smooshes aren't doing what they should.

and can you two acid queens stfu plz thx

god elton can't you suck

watari banzai

Post by watari banzai » Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:59 am

have to chime in on the kawai q-80 love...i have the q-80ex, which adds a 2nd midi out and smf compatibility. its pretty easy to move midi files from cubase via floppy. all you have to do is set each track to repeat and set the midi output assignment. 32 tracks live at all times! if it had 32 dedicated mute buttons instead of a 4 x 8 shift button, i wouldnt need any other sequencer (my needs are pretty basic) i already have a yamaha rm1x now and im still trying to integrate the q-80ex as a dedicated sequence triggerer
Cubase SX3, Yamaha RM1X, Kawai Q80 EX, Yamaha A3000 v.2, Yamaha CS-15, Sequential Circuits 6-Trak, Roland SH101, Roland SH2, Casio CZ5000, Yamaha RY20, Deltalab Effectron I, Zoom 1201, Oxygen 8

gordwiebe
Gear: motif ES rack +cards, alesis fusion, E-MU PX7 + cards, siel MONO

Post by gordwiebe » Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:40 am

although I've never used/seen one in action... I'm going to assume these are the worst sequencers/whatever the h**l it is ever.
I just saw a good dozen of them, new in box, at a long and mcquade super sale today for $29 and they weren't moving an inch.
hilarious...
Attachments
MT-90S_L.jpg

mome rath
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by mome rath » Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:42 am

i loved this thing

play into it, record out
repeat

this is how i recorded EVERY synth I had for about a year and a half ......... until i spilled gatorade and vodka all over it [-X

would actually very much like to get another
god elton can't you suck

cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

Post by cartesia » Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:13 am

Gotta agree with the oldschool roland synth hate..

I can get my head around that kinda step-through sequencing, but I find it way hard to keep track of what I've been doing so far..

I much prefer the other style of step sequencing, which is more like drum machine sequencing, but with knob(s) per step button as well.

Big Chris
Gear: Roland Jupiter 4
Korg Mono/Poly
Powertran Transcendent 2000
Linn LM2
E-mu SP-12
E-mu Drumulator
Soundmaster Stix
Musicman Stingray bass
Band: Complicity

Post by Big Chris » Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:37 am

I still use a Roland MC-300 as my main sequencer - it's the brother to the MC-500, virtually identical specifications but a cheaper casing. My MC-300 is in mint condition and only used at home, for live use I have a very battered MC-500 that looked fine in the eBay picture but stank of cigarette smoke when it arrived. The only hardware sequencer I've used that's better is the one built into the Roland W-30 workstation, it works the same way as the MC-300, MC-500 and MC-50 but has a bigger screen and a few extra editing features.

As for c**p hardware sequencers, the Korg SQ-8 is the worst I've ever used. How on earth were you supposed to back the thing up unless you had another, more capable sequencer?!? A friend had the Roland PR-100, which was also useless because the 2.8" disks were so unreliable. The MC-202 was fiddly to use, and had no battery backed memory - and it didn't help that I had no manual for mine, so I never knew how to backup to tape. Still, the MC-202 was my first sequencer and I had great fun with it at a time when Cubase was only available for the Atari ST and hideously expensive for a hard up student. Combined with a Mono/Poly, SH-101 and a TR-606 I thought things couldn't get any better!

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:50 pm

I never really understood the point of linear sequencers. I guess the designers were just emulating multi-track tape machines. But it seems like most modern music is "pattern based" (that is, having segments that repeat with little or no variation throughout the length of the song) for the most part. Using a linear sequencer methodology is certainly workable, but not easy and requires a lot of cut-n-paste.

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by StepLogik » Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:55 pm

Also, has anyone downloaded FL Studio 9 yet? Holy f**k, I didn't think it was possible to make the MIDI timing any more sloppy for that software but it seems like they somehow managed it. FL Studio is an incredibly awesome MIDI sequencer when scratching out a song and arranging it, but when it comes time to record and master you've got to export to something else (hardware sequencer!) with better MIDI timing and a tighter clock.

I should repeat my timing test and see if it really is worse or if its just psychological.

mis psiquicios y yo

Post by mis psiquicios y yo » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:44 pm

Soundwave wrote:Image

Bought this from a 2nd hand shop as a teenager it was my first ever sequencer and a pretty shitty one at that.

That was my first sequencer too, and yes it is s**t. If you make a song and put lots of events on one step it would kind of make the timing weird, like a little, but audible, stop. Absolute rubbish
mis psiquicos y yo
In electronic music, sequencers are as important as synths, they all modify your composition and playing