Worst.. hardware sequencer.. EVER

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
intercorni
Band: Lustobjekt

Re: Worst.. hardware sequencer.. EVER

Post by intercorni » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:36 am

Difficult to use is the PPG Waveterm Sequencer/Event Generator.
PPG Wave 2.2 | 2x PPG Waveterm A | PPG PRK | Roland Jupiter-6 | Roland Juno-6 | Waldorf Microwave | Elka Rhapsody 610 | Moog Polymoog | Minimoog Model D | Casio FZ1 | h**l Modular Synthesizer
https://www.facebook.com/cornel.hecht

Voodoo Ray
Gear:
Akai
Waldorf
Roland
Yamaha

Post by Voodoo Ray » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:03 pm

lhm1138 wrote:This piece of s**t:

Yeah, it was powerful. It's about as fun to use as it looks, though. Looks like it should have run DOS.
I have the MK II version. I could care less how it looks, it works well and that's all I can ask for.

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:17 pm

it always surprises me how many ppl use hardware sequencers. seems like when i talk about them to most people, they look at me like i'm crazy when i tell them i prefer to not use a DAW. nothing zaps creativity faster than using a computer to write music :lol:

masstronaut

Post by masstronaut » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:34 pm

Ha, that MC-500 pic is linked from the DMX Krew studio page which is a great little site.

http://www.durftal.com/music/edmx/dmxstudio/studio.htm

About it Ed says this:

Roland MC-500 micro composer.

This is a four-channel (!) MIDI sequencer with one MIDI in and two MIDI outs. People laugh when they see it but it was the bees knees in 1986 (Go West had two and so did Michael Jackson) and I've been using it so long that I can really work fast on it. My fingers go all blurry when I am quantising etc. It works, the timing is really solid, better than a computer, the small screen is c**p but I like it. I bought it out of Loot in the early 90s and went round the guy's house in New Cross to pick it up, we ended up making a piano-rave track together which I've still got somewhere on tape. You don't get that with eBay!

noisecomm
Gear: Ensoniq ESQs & Sq80s, various Junos & an odd jx-3p, Korg & yamaha units & a Rhodes Suitcase 73. SIG
Band: sick past nine

Post by noisecomm » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:59 am

tldr

My vote goes for the Roland JSQ 60 & MSQ 100 sequencers.
Roland-Korg-Ensoniq-Yamaha-Casio-Emu-Rhodes-Wurli-Tape-Digital-Pedals-Brain

Yatmandu
Gear: reverse

Post by Yatmandu » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:49 pm

Not a hardware sequencer per se, but the Roland MC-808 had the most braincramp inducing i/f of any gear I've owned, despite it's decent sounds and features. I'm glad I could get rid of it without losing any cash.

Virgule

Post by Virgule » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:55 pm

:)
Last edited by Virgule on Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Scories
Gear: Micromoog, JX-3P, Minikorg 700, Z1

Post by Scories » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:00 am

Gui Boratto praised the valkues of the good old mc-500, in the latest Future Music magazine I think.

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:03 pm

the thing about sequencers like the MC-500 is the lack of a 16-step grid for drum programming. also, only 5 tracks is pretty limited.

the MMT-8 gives you 8 tracks with mute control but no grid programming.

grooveboxes like the MC-909 are really superior in this area because of the TR-REC grid mode and the track mute buttons. the MC-909's great flaw is that each part (track) is hardwired to it's corresponding midi channel which is pretty lame when you need to control external gear.

the only hardware sequencer i know of that resolves all of these issues is the E-mu command station.

aredj
Gear: A little bit of E-muAccessJomoxKorg -
Spectralis2!

Post by aredj » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:14 pm

That's right! Get one now while they're cheap!

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by StepLogik » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:18 pm

the only reason i didn't pick the Command Station is because the note editing is pretty horrendous. this is another area Roland has done pretty well - their "Microscope" (list) edit on the MC-909 and MV-8800 is pretty powerful and easy to use. the MC-909's is particularly well done and you can pretty much use it like a DAW's piano roll editor once you learn the keystrokes. it has a nice visual display of the notes as well.

mute

Post by mute » Sun May 02, 2010 3:09 am

I know alot of people like them, but I hate the EMU Command station sequencers... MP7/XL7/etc. Edits are far deeper than they should be and as for onboard sounds/effects editing... particularly the effects and assignments.. you gotta be f'ing kidding me.

Arddhu

Post by Arddhu » Sun May 02, 2010 9:38 am

Actually the MC-500 does have grid programming for rhythm tracks. The grid is displayed on the screen and you use the calculator buttons to program the velocity on each step. It's incredibly easy. Plus I recently discovered that Shift+Play loops indefinitely either a selected bar/s or the rhythm track you're working on at the time.
Is tres fun!

Villi
Gear: Yamaha RS7000 & DX200, Quasimidi Sirius, Casio CZ5000

Post by Villi » Sun May 02, 2010 3:07 pm

StepLogik wrote:the thing about sequencers like the MC-500 is the lack of a 16-step grid for drum programming. also, only 5 tracks is pretty limited.

the MMT-8 gives you 8 tracks with mute control but no grid programming.

grooveboxes like the MC-909 are really superior in this area because of the TR-REC grid mode and the track mute buttons. the MC-909's great flaw is that each part (track) is hardwired to it's corresponding midi channel which is pretty lame when you need to control external gear.

the only hardware sequencer i know of that resolves all of these issues is the E-mu command station.
RS7000?

aredj
Gear: A little bit of E-muAccessJomoxKorg -
Spectralis2!

Post by aredj » Sun May 02, 2010 3:57 pm

mute wrote:I know alot of people like them, but I hate the EMU Command station sequencers... MP7/XL7/etc. Edits are far deeper than they should be and as for onboard sounds/effects editing... particularly the effects and assignments.. you gotta be f'ing kidding me.
Agreed on the onboard sound n stuff - but the sequencer... I don't find it so crazy.
Each midi function has its own spot (channel assign, loop length, quantize, notes events...) all under one section. Thers no sub menus for all the midi junk. I have a hard time qualifying that as deep...

Editing notes can be a bit tedious sometimes if a track has a lot of them, unless you're good at translating position 15.457 or whatever - luckily i don't find myself in that position too often.