NEW REAL OBERHEIM! Don Buchla! Dave Smith! Roger Linn!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Re: NEW REAL OBERHEIM! Don Buchla! Dave Smith! Roger Linn!

Post by xpander » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:11 am

RobotHeroes wrote:That's awesome news. What kind of stuff did Roger Linn showed you? I too would like to see a new ARP synth. :D
two things- one was a concept drawing of a modular control surface, i have a bluuuurrrry photo, you can tell it would be the coolest thing ever- which is basically what i told him after, although i have doubts that he'll ever move on that idea. the other thing was a concept drawing of a sampler/workstation with a really large flip-up screen... so he has his eyes on some pretty high-end stuff geared towards the MPC/hiphop sensibility. he was really interesting to hear from since he's really excited about alternative interfaces and the totally unexpected ways musicians use his stuff. he said something along the lines of "we just make brushes and we never know how artists are going to use them." cool guy.
Last edited by xpander on Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

MrFrodo

Post by MrFrodo » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:13 am

Sir Ruff wrote: when will these guys get the message? NO ONE WANTS NEW ANALOGS!!!
Please, say that's just sarcasm?

Personally, I think "new analog" is killer. My Voyager finds a home on nearly all the songs I record these days that include synths. I hope to use Oberheim's new stuff.
The greatest thing we ever have is the will to survive.

Rest in peace, Dr. Robert Moog.

http://www.ericbenjamingordon.com
http://cdbaby.com/cd/ebgordon
http://www.myspace.com/ericbenjamingordon

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:15 am

MrFrodo wrote:Please, say that's just sarcasm?
that was clearly sarcasm, he was just beating b***h about anything new to the punch.

Carey M
Gear: Akai Miniak, Fender Chroma Polaris, Moog Sub Phatty, Roland SH-101, Roland Jupiter-4, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Komplete 8, Reaper, iPad, beer
Band: Nightsatan

Post by Carey M » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:04 am

I wish I looked as cool as Buchla when I'm an old geezer. Great to see those pioneers together... makes me wonder who are the pioneers for this new millenia?

- CM

Hossinfeffa
Gear: Roland D-50, MT-32, Korg DSS-1, DDD-1, MS-20, Yamaha FB-01, PSS-560, Akai AX-80, MfB 522, Arturia MiniBrute

Post by Hossinfeffa » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:11 am

xpander wrote:he said he has dreams of doing something insane like a 32-voice analog but he's in his 70s! :shock:
Something that could rival the Andromeda? Now that would be an epic to see. And hear. :D

I too admit I'd love to see something new from ARP.
Well fffff.

Pilot352

Post by Pilot352 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:36 am

There's one problem with the concept of a new Oberheim analog synth...

We will have to listen to Box play a 32 voice "Jump" (Van Halen version not the Pointer Sisters) over and over again until the end of time. :shock: :mrgreen: :lol: :shock:

-Pilot
Analog: Mono/Poly, Prophet '08, Juno 106
Digital: Kurzweil SP88, Yamaha DX11, Kawai K4, MS2K, AN1x
Modules: Triton (loaded), Motif ES, MS2KR, E-Mu Proteus 2K, TR626 DM, Roland U220
New Addition: Fender Rhodes 73 Mark I
So much gear... So little time!!!

Huppo
Gear: V-synth, broken Fusion 6HD, HPD10, MP-7, 60+ guitars, etc.
Band: naught

Post by Huppo » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:24 pm

cornutt wrote:That top pic is one for the history books. Wish Bob Moog could have been there.
I think I read someplace that those guys get together for coffee every Sunday morning someplace in the Bay Area. I recall seeing a picture of them sitting around a table at a coffee shop. I'm sure someone here has a link to that pic.

Edit: OK, nevermind. I saw it here. It was already referenced in this thread.

~huppo

Please feel free to add me to your Foes list.

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:36 pm

Actually, I think the SEM contains very little that is not current (pun semi-intended) or could not be replaced in a new build with common parts, as it didn't use any custom synth chips - it was basically discrete and a few op-amps. It would be perfectly possible to update the few obsolete parts (3080, 726 I think, going from memory) with modern equivalents, and release it almost as-was. I'd certainly be up for one of those... heck, I'd even sell something to pay for one...

Great pics by the way. Thanks for posting 'em.

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:46 pm

This is potentially exciting but I wonder how he will differentiate himself from the Semblance and Semtex (not sure if the semtex is still in production). It would be really cool if he went one step further and produced a new OB-1.
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:09 pm

i was thinkin about SEM today. such a badass sound, particularly the 12dB multimode filter.

MIDI? seems likely, but not necessary since the boutique market is where it will sell... and 1/2 of those people use modular already. or kenton. i would prefer two module versions, one w/ MIDI, and one that is CV-only.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

aeon

Post by aeon » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:19 pm

The idea of a new SEM is very exciting to me simply because of the sound heritage of the SEM.

Individual SEM modules with CV control would be fab. That said, another thing comes to mind that brings a big, big smile to my face - the idea of a new Eight-Voice using those SEMs.

cheers,
Ian

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:25 pm

shaft9000 wrote:i would prefer two module versions, one w/ MIDI, and one that is CV-only.
I'd go for the old-school CV model personally. I wouldn't complain about having MIDI built in, but the market for these things doesn't demand it... like you say, plenty of boutique users these days, with varied tastes in control systems. Perhaps it would be good to see a totally old-style analogue unit, with digital control (MIDI, USB or whatever) as expansion boards. I think that would be an interesting way to provide customers with the same end result but different ways of going about it.

gd

Post by gd » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:57 pm

I imagine that Dave would advise how to keeps his costs down (as he did with his P'08) to reach a larger mkt. I am excited about this, now if Yamaha decided to replicate the GX-1 or CS-80 as well, I would never leave my studio! So if the new Oberheim and wishful thinking for a Yammy come in the Radias, JD-800, and JP-8080 are leaving this way I justify adding 2 and removing 3 to the acct. :lol:
Last edited by gd on Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prophet 08, Mini D, Radias, 2 x JD-990, Juno-60, 2 x JP-8080, Fantom X6, Speakeasy Stereo Rackmount Vintage Tube Preamp ...

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:58 pm

aeon wrote: That said, another thing comes to mind that brings a big, big smile to my face - the idea of a new Eight-Voice using those SEMs.

cheers,
Ian
Even a 4 voice with the option of controlling all the voices at once would be very cool.
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

Alex Hamilton

Post by Alex Hamilton » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:18 pm

Well at least Don Buchla looks as crazy as I always thought he should! This sounds really interesting, it's great to hear about guys getting back into this stuff.
nathanscribe wrote:it would be good to see a totally old-style analogue unit, with digital control (MIDI, USB or whatever) as expansion boards.
Yeah, that'd be a really good way of doing it - make a digital conversion board an optional extra. You could even make one with digital audio output for plugging straight into S/PDIF etc.