NEW REAL OBERHEIM! Don Buchla! Dave Smith! Roger Linn!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Re: NEW REAL OBERHEIM! Don Buchla! Dave Smith! Roger Linn!

Post by Joey » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:21 pm

As long as this thing has midi i'm sold...

but how much will it cost?

the AS semblance goes for around $700, which is pretty reasonable.

how will Mr Oberheim compete with that?
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:45 pm

Gainsay,
They did have sequencers back in the day. I don’t see how interfacing to midi would diminish its analog sound qualities. I mean I understand what you’re saying I just think you’re an extremist(the Taliban of VSE?). People use their synths differently today, in fact the resurgence of analog synths probably has as much to do with new uses for old tools as it has to do with someone wanting to imitate Rick Wakeman or Vince Clark. I’d dare bet that most of the people buying vintage synths today really aren’t trying to make the same type of music that was being made using those synths when they were issued. An Arp Odyssey sequenced from a computer using a midi/cv converter doesn’t sound any less Arp, it just might not sound like what someone was doing in 1978…

Hindsight is 20/20. Anyone reissuing or developing analog synths can learn from everything that has taken place between then and now. The SEM might have a limited “boutique” audience as suggested but then again they might be limiting themselves by only allowing antiquated interfacing. Obviously conveniences like midi that might be simple and cheap to implement might open the doors to more customer.

This is pipe dreaming now but I would be all over a modern OB-1, similar to the way the Little Phatty was designed. I like the combination of rich, classic analog sound and modern conveniences.
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

soundxplorer

Post by soundxplorer » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:52 pm

On a side note, since the Semblance and Semtex have been mentioned...

I contacted the maker of the Semtex about 3 months ago, inquiring about purchasing one. His reply was that he intended to stop making them, but he offered to take my order and make one more for me if I wanted it (in his words, "the last one made", and the price was going to be $2,200 US). I decided I just couldn't afford it. He said his next venture was to translate the components of the Semtex into Eurorack modules (or was it dotcom...can't remember). So, I'm guessing the Semtex is "out of production"...unless someone else contacts him and gets the same offer that I did.

The Semblance is less impressive sound-wise, but still a good deal for the price. Just think of it as an Analogue Solutions mono synth instead of clone of the SEM. One of my wishes for the Semblance would be a GATE/CV output. I mean, if you've built MIDI into your analog monosynth, why not have those outputs available? It might be an easy modification though.

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:12 pm

I wonder if he still has the rights to the old Oberheim logo.
I've always liked that little guy.
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:51 pm

pricklyrobot wrote:I wonder if he still has the rights to the old Oberheim logo.
I think Gibson still owns it, unfortunately. :evil:
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

Box
Gear: Roland JP-8000
Roland JX-3P
Roland JX-8P
1972 Wurlitzer Console Piano
Band: Neo Decorum
Location: Land of oscillators, filters, and other really cool looking stuff.

Post by Box » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:34 pm

pricklyrobot wrote:I wonder if he still has the rights to the old Oberheim logo.
I've always liked that little guy.
Yep, little guy with BIG sound. I always thought that was the coolest logo ever, that and the Cadillac ducks (which they got rid of! :o ).
Help our very own Maschinengeist (Stéphane) by making your next purchase or repair with him! Click the logo for more info!

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:21 pm

Well, xpander basically answered part of my point with his last post (being that the SEM is indeed going to be a reproduction of the original), but the other part of my point is this:
It's sad when everyone wants to take something that was truly amazing in its time and hang every development since then upon it... which makes it not what it was.
nathanscribe wrote:On the other end of the scale is USB, scanned pots, sixty thousand presets, digital effects, all that jazz.
Yes, just like that. :)

I will say that I am excited to see what happens with the new SEM as everyone else.
I've never been into Oberheims, and something like this might pull me there.
Last edited by Automatic Gainsay on Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:22 pm

otto wrote:Gainsay,
They did have sequencers back in the day. I don’t see how interfacing to midi would diminish its analog sound qualities. I mean I understand what you’re saying I just think you’re an extremist(the Taliban of VSE?). People use their synths differently today, in fact the resurgence of analog synths probably has as much to do with new uses for old tools as it has to do with someone wanting to imitate Rick Wakeman or Vince Clark. I’d dare bet that most of the people buying vintage synths today really aren’t trying to make the same type of music that was being made using those synths when they were issued. An Arp Odyssey sequenced from a computer using a midi/cv converter doesn’t sound any less Arp, it just might not sound like what someone was doing in 1978…

Hindsight is 20/20. Anyone reissuing or developing analog synths can learn from everything that has taken place between then and now. The SEM might have a limited “boutique” audience as suggested but then again they might be limiting themselves by only allowing antiquated interfacing. Obviously conveniences like midi that might be simple and cheap to implement might open the doors to more customer.

This is pipe dreaming now but I would be all over a modern OB-1, similar to the way the Little Phatty was designed. I like the combination of rich, classic analog sound and modern conveniences.
Stop trying to prove you're not me. :wink:
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:43 am

I'm all for some OR-I-GI-NAL (said in jamaican mc voice) SEM action or whatever, but I think it's a little naive to claim it should absolutely NOT have any modern amenities like midi, and um... patch memories. After all-we want the SOUND right? and if you can add those other very helpful features which would increase you market (but hopefully not the price very much), why wouldn't you?

Let's speculate on price for one SEM... well these days, they run 700-1000 or so.... they are also not incredibly rare. So to start, Mr. Oberheim is going to have to find himself an attractive price point, or he'll already be competing with himself (he won't realize this perhaps, but we will). How cheap can he make it? <$600? I dunno, but that seems reasonable to me for off-the shelf parts and no keyboard. So we're not super cheap, but not totally expensive. If he could wack midi (and god forbid patch memory) on there for another $100, or at least gave you that option, would you take it?
Otherwise, what are we really getting from this new old model? A nice filter, 2 oscs, 2 basic envs and 1? basic LFO (surely the CS15 has already trumped it in every category :wink: )... It would truly be a boutique synth, but one that has only it's legacy to sell rather than a host of new features... Is that a workable business model?

So I guess what I'm saying is that it really seems like he's gonna have to tweak something somewhere to make it more attractive in today's market, regardless of market size. Otherwise it's going to come down to the 30+ synth crowd deciding to buy one... or not.
Do you even post on vse bro?

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:01 am

a couple of my pix are now on the DSI website (with permission):

http://davesmithinstruments.com/news/in ... #aes_panel

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

New FOUR VOICE ...

Post by clusterchord » Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:22 am

aeon wrote:The idea of a new SEM is very exciting to me simply because of the sound heritage of the SEM.

Individual SEM modules with CV control would be fab. That said, another thing comes to mind that brings a big, big smile to my face - the idea of a new Eight-Voice using those SEMs.
well, if u get four SEMs, vintage ones, or these new ones, if they come out, it is fairly easy to setup a four-voice sytem... you just buy a midi controller keyboard and DIY a Modulus Electronic POLYDAC (or buy a finsihed one from Elby Designs), i 've just made PCBs for three of those for my cv/gate isntruments, and future modular... each Polydac features FOUR CV/GATE channels with additonal AUX CV per ch, among other things for midi cc, and most importantly, besides working in "standard" separate mode, it can do 4-voice POLYPHONIC operation 8)

so all you gotta do is hook it up to four SEMs. and of course set all four of them to aproximately same patch sound.. heheh...which was a time-consuming issue to consider on original OB Four-Voice as well.

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

secularatom
Gear: Moog Prodigy, Moog Voyager Old School, Roland Juno 60, Microkorg, Korg Rhythm 55B, Mattel Synsonic Drum Machine, various Eurorack Modules
Band: Eternal Turtle

Post by secularatom » Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:40 am

sizzlemeister wrote:Dave looks fit as a fiddle. God bless him.
xpander wrote: the legend:
he looks like he would rather be playing a fiddle. :D
It's turtles-turtles-turtles all the way down!

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:32 am

Sir Ruff wrote:Let's speculate on price for one SEM... well these days, they run 700-1000 or so.... they are also not incredibly rare. So to start, Mr. Oberheim is going to have to find himself an attractive price point, or he'll already be competing with himself (he won't realize this perhaps, but we will). How cheap can he make it? <$600? I dunno, but that seems reasonable to me for off-the shelf parts and no keyboard. So we're not super cheap, but not totally expensive. If he could wack midi (and god forbid patch memory) on there for another $100, or at least gave you that option, would you take it?
I reckon we'd be looking XS price range... Quote me on it.

Huppo
Gear: V-synth, broken Fusion 6HD, HPD10, MP-7, 60+ guitars, etc.
Band: naught

Post by Huppo » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:27 pm

Nobody is asking the really important question here:

Will this be analgue or mostly MIDI?
~huppo

Please feel free to add me to your Foes list.

Vxster

Post by Vxster » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:47 pm

Huppo wrote:Nobody is asking the really important question here:

Will this be analgue or mostly MIDI?
=D>