Prophet five rev 2

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
mavertron

Prophet five rev 2

Post by mavertron » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:36 pm

Hi there,

just wondering if anyone knows of any sound clips of the rev 2 on the net ?

thanks,

matt.

drummy
Gear: Univox K-2 Mini-Korg 2
Location: Northfield, Illinois or Milwaukee, Wisconsin (I go back and forth a lot)

Re: Prophet five rev 2

Post by drummy » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:07 pm

Here are some from Clusterchord:

http://www.babic.com/SYN/p5r2.htm

Hopefully he won't mind that I'm giving out the link.

mavertron

Post by mavertron » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:48 pm

thanks loads,

any more out there ? anyone know any famous recordings it was used on ?
I shouldnt be here. I should be writing music.

WhinyLittleRunt

Post by WhinyLittleRunt » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:03 pm

The soundtrack to Escape from New York was done with a P5, amongst others, but I would guess it had to be a Rev.2 since the movie premiered in '81 and didn't the Rev 3 start production in 81?

Also I could be wrong but some of Todd Rundgren's work sounds like the P5 was all over it. Specifically the Healing album.
I like vintage synths....

hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://soundcloud.com/heath-finnie

Post by hfinn » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:13 pm

Japan's "Gentlemen Take Polaroids" album is loaded with it

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: .com, mpc, and a studio full of behringer clones.

Post by wiss » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:38 pm

I'm going to assume Talking Heads records and Bryne & Eno ~My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:12 pm

WhinyLittleRunt wrote:The soundtrack to Escape from New York was done with a P5, amongst others, but I would guess it had to be a Rev.2 since the movie premiered in '81 and didn't the Rev 3 start production in 81?

Also I could be wrong but some of Todd Rundgren's work sounds like the P5 was all over it. Specifically the Healing album.

Carpenter & Howarth used a Rev 2 on both EFNY and Halloween II. After this it was sold to some music dealer in Sweden, he told me so himself. Howarth replaced it with a Rev 3.2 (or 3.3) in the spring of '82 and first used it on Halloween III which was recorded in the summer of that year. The latter synth was recently sold on ebay.

Before Howarth connected with Carpenter, he used the Rev 2 and a Rev 1 Prophet 10 (single-keyboard version) --which he'd borrowed from Joe Zawinul-- for some of the sound FX on Star Trek: the motion picture (1979).

Roger Powell used a Rev 1 Prophet 5 on several albums with Utopia (Adventures in utopia, Deface the music etc) and David Bowie (1978 tour and Lodger album).
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:50 pm

hfinn wrote:Japan's "Gentlemen Take Polaroids" album is loaded with it
On "Polaroids", the Rev 2 was used on the following tracks:

Swing
Burning Bridges
My new career
Taking Islands
The width of a room

Let's see if you guys can pick out the parts in the above songs which features the P5 :)

Note that "Polaroids" is the only Japan album featuring the Rev 2 Prophet 5 (I believe it was Mr. Sakamoto's synth).
David Sylvain bought a Rev 3 after that album was recorded and used it on Tin Drum as well as on the live album Oil On Canvas, the latter of which additionally features some Prophet 10 (played by Richard Barbieri) alongside the ubiquitous OB-X and a couple of P5's.

Micke
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by hfinn » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:18 pm

Not to totally hijack the thread, but I would love to know definitively where the OB-X turns up on both Polaroids and Tin Drum. The P5 is easier to tell when it's doing the polymod stuff (like on Ghosts...)

mavertron

Post by mavertron » Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:14 am

thanks micke, great to know its the der der der der der riff synth from that john carpenter movie,
im suprised there are no other famous recordings, i heard it was the synth used for 'betty davis eyes' synth riff, which has always been a fave of mine.
Reason for this thread im looking to buy one v soon, so im desperate to hear recordings before i pull the trigger as its obviously a lot of cash, any other thoughts about the rev 2 from owners or knowlegeable ?

- i dont want to hear about 'rare ssm chips, unreliable blah blah blah' - i know all this and i dont care, im buying for the sound it will make, ive got an obx-a that has had a few probs, but its totally worth it.

thanks for your help all,

matt.
I shouldnt be here. I should be writing music.

baschyn
Gear: EIII, EII, P5 rev2, Prophet VS,VP-330, OB-8, TR808,606, MPC 3000. PolyEvolver.

Post by baschyn » Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:33 am

I have a track in the works that's all Rev.2. The only thing is though, it's all done with an MPC 3000 (Linn/Smith).

hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by hfinn » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:49 am

mavertron wrote:im suprised there are no other famous recordings, i heard it was the synth used for 'betty davis eyes' synth riff, which has always been a fave of mine.
Well, it probably IS on a lot of famous recordings. Just a lot are not quite known whether or not it's a rev 2 or 3.

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:43 am

u can also hear P5 rev2 (with lot of OBX too) on Tangerine Dream's "Tangram" and "Exit" albums. it was a favorite polysynth of Christopher Franke at the time.

to name a few more albums.. Phil Collins Face Value, Genesis Duke. early Hall n Oates, Peter Gabriel III (on later albums he used both rev2 and 3), Patrick Cowley/MegatronMan, YMO etc..

hfinn wrote:Not to totally hijack the thread, but I would love to know definitively where the OB-X turns up on both Polaroids and Tin Drum. The P5 is easier to tell when it's doing the polymod stuff (like on Ghosts...)
it always depends on the mix/arrangement, and eventual post-processing, but OBX and SSM-based P5 have pretty strong respective characters, its not that hard to tell them apart. i've never tried this w Japans work, but did w TD's.. sometimes u can indeed tell for sure.

anyway, these two are among my all time favorite analogs. beautiful haunting sound that makes u go Image

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:15 pm

mavertron wrote:thanks micke, great to know its the der der der der der riff synth from that john carpenter movie,
im suprised there are no other famous recordings, i heard it was the synth used for 'betty davis eyes' synth riff, which has always been a fave of mine.
Reason for this thread im looking to buy one v soon, so im desperate to hear recordings before i pull the trigger as its obviously a lot of cash, any other thoughts about the rev 2 from owners or knowlegeable ?

- i dont want to hear about 'rare ssm chips, unreliable blah blah blah' - i know all this and i dont care, im buying for the sound it will make, ive got an obx-a that has had a few probs, but its totally worth it.

thanks for your help all,

matt.

You're welcome, Matt

If you're referring to the massive bass riff on the soundtrack to "Assault On Precinct 13" (1976), it's an expanded Moog modular series III, not a Prophet 5. Dan Wyman programmed the Moog on Assault, Halloween and The Fog. Alan Howarth was not involved in the making of those three scores, he and Carpenter first worked together on Escape From New York (which was recorded at the end of 1980).

As for the "Betty Davis Eyes" synth riff, I actually don't know whether that's a Rev 2 or Rev 3. The song appears to have been recorded in early '81, so it could be a Rev 3 since that was released in the fall of '80.

Here's a list of some more recordings that feature the Rev 2 and Rev 1 P5:

artist/band/album title

- Joe Zawinul/Weather Report - Mr. Gone (1978), 8:30 (live, Nov 1978) - Rev 1

- Mark Mothersbaugh/Devo - Duty now for the future (1979), Freedom of choice (1980), New Traditionalists (1981) - first Rev 1, then Rev 2 and finally Rev 3.

- Suzanne Ciani - The Seven Waves (recorded early '80 through fall 1981) - Rev 1

- Greg Hawkes/The Cars - Candy-O (1979), Panorama (1980) etc. - Rev 1

- Dave Stewart/Bill Bruford - One Of A Kind (rec. jan-feb 1979) - Rev 1

- Larry Fast/Synergy - Games (1979), Audion (1981), Jupiter Menace soundtrack (1982)

- Rick Wakeman - 1984 (recorded in early '81) and The Burning soundtrack (1981)
Rick first used a Rev 1 P5 on tour with Yes back in late '78/early '79.

- Richard Wright/Pink Floyd - The Wall (1979) Rev 1

- Judi Dozier/Billy Idol band - Rebel Yell - Rev 2

- Eddie Jobson/UK - Danger Money (1979) Rev 1

- Roger Powell/with Todd Rundgren's Utopia - Adventures In Utopia (1979), Deface the music (1980) and others.
with David Bowie - Roger used a Rev 1 on the final part of the 1978 world tour with Bowie, and subsequently on the studio album Lodger (1979).

- Geoff Downes/YES - Drama (1980) - Rev 2 - later he used a Rev 3 with ASIA.

- Patrick Cowley - Megatron Man (1981) - Rev 2

- Stevie Winwood - Arc Of A Diver (1980) - I'm not completely sure but given the timing of the recording I suspect it was a Rev 2.

- Tony Banks/Genesis - Duke (1980), Abacab (1981) - Rev 2

- Ryiuchi Sakamoto/YMO - fall '79 onwards - Rev 2

- Patrick Gleeson - Rainbow Delta (recorded from late '78 through spring '79) - two Rev 1 Prophet 10's, plus E-mu modular and custom-built E-mu Blue Box 16-voice semi-programmable polyphonic synthesizer.

Other users of Rev 1 and Rev 2 P5's include: T. Lavitz/Dixie Dregs, Vangelis (circa 1980-1981), Richard Gibbs with Oingo Bongo (from '79 - '83), Jerry Harrison/Talking Heads, Chris Franke (Tangerine Dream), Kitaro, Cameron Hawkins/FM, Dan Wyman (two Rev 1 P10's; used on Donna Summer's 1979 album Bad Girls, Berlin's debut album Information (1980), as well as on the soundtrack to the horror-flick h**l Night (1981), Paul Hardcastle, Mats Lindberg of Swedish rock/synth band Tredje Mannen, Hans Lundin of Swedish prog-band Kaipa, Frank Serafine, Maurizio Guarini (Goblin soundtracks), John Scott (Inseminoid soundtrack, 1980), Synthe-sound trax (The Boogey man soundtrack, 1980), Rupert Greenall/The Fixx, Denny Zeitlin (Invasion of the body snatchers soundtrack, 1978 - Rev 1 Prophet 10).

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:08 pm

The Dixie Dregs albums were Dregs of the Earth and Unsung Heroes. Lavitz had, I'm pretty sure, it was a Rev1 (it had had the cassette interface added), and over the years it acquired several mods. There was a famous publicity photo at the time of Dregs of the Earth with all of the band members sitting in a giant mud puddle, and Lavitz had it balanced on his knees. Saw it for sale in an Atlanta pawn shop in 1983. It was well used, as they say.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!