Prophet five rev 2

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Re: Prophet five rev 2

Post by Micke » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:53 pm

Yep you're right, it was a Rev 1 Lavitz had

I reckon this is the photo you're referring to:

On the Dixie Dreggs albums you mention Lavitz was additionally using an Oberheim OB-1 and some OB-X (which he had on loan during the "Dregs of the earth" recording sessions). He later bought an OB-Xa, DMX and DSX.
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:12 pm

To the list of Rev 1 & Rev 2 users we can add L.A. session keyboardists Ralph Grierson and Michael Boddicker.

Yet another user of the Rev 1 P5 was Klaus Doldinger who used one on Passport's albums "Lifelike" (recorded live in Stuttgart and Mainz, June 1980), "Oceanliner" (studio album, 1980), "Blue Tattoo" (1981) as well as on the '81 soundtrack to Das Boot. On this classic score he also used a Minimoog (as always), Fairlight CMI I and live orchestra.
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:36 pm

clusterchord wrote:
it always depends on the mix/arrangement, and eventual post-processing, but OBX and SSM-based P5 have pretty strong respective characters, its not that hard to tell them apart. i've never tried this w Japans work, but did w TD's.. sometimes u can indeed tell for sure.
Hey Cluster, try to see if you can pick out the parts that were done with the Rev 2 P5 on the follwing "Polaroids" tracks:

Swing
Burning Bridges
My new career
Taking Islands
The width of a room

Micke

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:13 pm

hfinn wrote:Not to totally hijack the thread, but I would love to know definitively where the OB-X turns up on both Polaroids and Tin Drum. The P5 is easier to tell when it's doing the polymod stuff (like on Ghosts...)
hfinn, check your PM's :)

hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://soundcloud.com/heath-finnie

Post by hfinn » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:16 am

Is it wrong that with a P5 rev 3.3, Prophet-10 AND an OB-X that I still want a rev 2 P5?????

drummy
Gear: Univox K-2 Mini-Korg 2
Location: Northfield, Illinois or Milwaukee, Wisconsin (I go back and forth a lot)

Post by drummy » Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:33 am

hfinn wrote:Is it wrong that with a P5 rev 3.3, Prophet-10 AND an OB-X that I still want a rev 2 P5?????
Yes :D

Now sell me your OB-X and get a Rev. 2 Prophet-5 8)

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:05 am

hfinn wrote:Is it wrong that with a P5 rev 3.3, Prophet-10 AND an OB-X that I still want a rev 2 P5?????
absolutely not. :wink:

tho personally, if i had P10 and P5 rev3, considering that P10 is 2 x CEM Rev3 in a box, plus extras.. i'd keep P10, and let rev3 go and replace it with SSM Rev2.

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://soundcloud.com/heath-finnie

Post by hfinn » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:18 pm

clusterchord wrote:
hfinn wrote:tho personally, if i had P10 and P5 rev3, considering that P10 is 2 x CEM Rev3 in a box, plus extras.. i'd keep P10, and let rev3 go and replace it with SSM Rev2.
Far easier said than done. My rev 3 has midi, all new walnut casing, all new bushings and just is SOOOOO nice to play. I actually turn to it more often than the P-10.

urgetoplay

Post by urgetoplay » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:28 pm

You can rebush a P5 rev 2 as well Meister Heath. :wink: I have a similar setup to Heath's except my P5 is a Rev2. The lack of Midi on the Prophets hasn't bothered me as of yet. There are a couple of things I'd like to do with an Arpeggiator that I can't do but thats about it.
Resonance in Humans is called Empathy.

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:48 pm

Here are a few more artists/bands that were using Rev 1 & Rev 2 Prophet 5's back in the day:

OMD - album: "Organisation" (1980) - Rev 2 - the synth got stolen sometime after the album had been recorded so they had to replace it with a Rev 3 which made its debut on 1981's "Architecture & Morality".

Helden (Hans Zimmer & Warren Cann) - album: "Spies"; rec. in late '82/early '83 but still not released - Rev 1 plus heaps of other classic synths such as Moog modular, Roland system 700 & 100M modulars, RSF kobol expanders (x3), Jupiter 4 & 8, MC-4 microcomposer, VP-330, Fairlight CMI, Linn LM-1, TR-808, Korg PS-3200, Minimoog and more!!!

Dave Grusin/Ian Underwood - album: "Mountain Dance" (1979) - Rev 1 or Rev 2

Francis Monkman/SKY - album(s)? - Rev 2

Michael Cotten/Tubes - album(s)? - Rev 2

Nick Magnus/Steve Hackett Band - albums: "Defector" (1980) and "Cured" (1981) - Rev 2

cheers,
Micke

mavertron

Post by mavertron » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:27 am

wow thanks micke,

some of my fave acts within that list such as goblin, tangerine dream's exit etc, ill be sure
to check out those recordings , that's quite a list...

does it anyone know if VSE still deletes old posts?

seems a shame to lose all of mickes work listing all these recordings..

thanks micke, without you, this board would be a lot less interesting.

matt.
I shouldnt be here. I should be writing music.

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:05 pm

Thanks for the compliment, mavertron :)

I also like Goblin, John Carpenter and TD a lot. Among Goblin's work, the 1980 score to the sci-fi/horror flick "Contamination" is probably the one that has the most prominent use of the Prophet 5 rev 2. Maurizio Guarini played the keys on that soundtrack as well as on Goblin's "Notturno" (late '82) and Fabio Frizzi's The Beyond (1981), and his keyboard setup at the time included the Rev 2 P5 (SN#1260, to exact), Yamaha CS-80 (bought in July 1978), Arp 2600, Korg VC-10 vocoder and a Rhodes electric piano. In fact, Maurizio still owns all of these keyboards plus a lot more but the P5 was the only one not working the last time I heard from him (go figure!).

Mavertron, check your PM's...

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: .com, mpc, and a studio full of behringer clones.

Post by wiss » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:50 pm

David twinkling the P5 from the My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts sessions.

"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:57 pm

Here are more cool vintage photos and video stills of Barbieri, Sylvain & Co.

Richard Barbieri with OB-X and Prophet 10 and, in the background, Masami Tsuchiya (who played guitar and keyboards on Japan's
last tour) rehearsing in the studio for an upcoming Japan concert at Hammersmith Oden, 18th Nov 1982.
Barbieri later replaced the P10 with a Rev 3 P5.

Tin Drum sessions (summer 1981): Barbieri, Sylvain and the OB-X

Another shot from the Tin Drum sessions.

Image Image
Barbieri tweaking the Roland 700 laboratory system during a live performance of "Life In Tokyo" back in april 1979.

Image Image
(Left): keyboard controller for the Roland laboratory system and Micromoog (from the "Life In tokyo" footage, april '79). (Right): Micromoog, wurlitzer
electric piano and Solina string ensemble (from "Communist China" promo video, late '78).

Image Image
(Left): Barbieri behind the micromoog, from "Communist China promo video, late '78). (Right): with micromoog, oberheim mini-sequencer and Roland 700
lab system back in 1980 (Gentlemen Take Polaroids era)

cheers,
Micke

iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Prophet-5, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50, JV-1080
Band: ArtWithHeart

Post by iProg » Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:09 am

Wow, micke, that is some truly bad-a*s photos :D

You mentioned the rev 2 used on Drama by Geoff Downes. He used a Prophet on the Asia album called "Alpha" in 1983 on tracks like "Midnight Sun" and "Eye to Eye"...is that the same synth?

The delay strings on "Machine Messiah" before the verse starts, is that a Prophet? Probably one of the best 80's strings ever...EVER! :D

Nick Rhodes used a Prophet on "Seven and the Ragged Tiger"