Prophet five rev 2

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
mavertron

Re: Prophet five rev 2 - mods

Post by mavertron » Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:00 am

Just to continue the rev2 thread that wont die, i have a question regarding the prophet i am picking up this weekend.
It has had a few mods done to it, and im wondering if these would effect the re-sale value, should i ever want to sell it on, im getting this at i what i think is a fair price, not a great price - £1850

its in nice cosmetic condition, a couple of small dings, some paint worn from the mod wheel area,

mods below - the question is, do these mods decrease or increase the value?

------------------------------

Rev 2. Bought in London1986 from a professional keyboard player friend.

120 memories upgrade. Sequential Circuits upgrade with safety lock to prevent accidental over recording of patches (see key next to midi sockets in photo). Fitted by Argents when they were still London’s premier keyboard shop in the 1980s and a Sequential Circuits dealer.

Modifications.

- Kenton midi: in, out and through sockets, with on /off switches for midi volume and filter control and an additional sensitivity pot adjustment for foot volume control.

- Heat sink fitted, as surprisingly there wasn’t one on the original model. Rev 3s had them fitted as standard.

- Locking XLR mains plug.

On the modulation section there is a pot that adjusts between LFO and Noise as a modulation source.
This has been modified to just be an LFO source, but it is now programmeable, appararently not so on the original. This is a very useful mod and one can introduce noise as a modulator elsewhere so no great loss.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

thoughts?

matt.
I shouldnt be here. I should be writing music.

urgetoplay

Re: Prophet five rev 2

Post by urgetoplay » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:11 pm

With the exception of the last mod I don't think it will matter. The last one adds functionality at a price. Some people won't care,some will.
How you describe your P5 will probably have more of an impact on the price.
Resonance in Humans is called Empathy.

dr funk

Post by dr funk » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:19 pm

It's a small world - I'm the guy who was next in line behind you for that Rev 2! That's Steve's P5, yes?

The mods seemed very useful to me, but how this impacts on the value, I don't know. Best of luck with the purchase...

Cheers
Frank

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:26 am

i think they're all okay, all modifications.

however, i wouldnt worry about re-sale value that much. price can only go up given time. but first, it's kinda pointless to already think about selling when you're just buying the instrument - i sincerely hope you're buying it to make music, not as an "investment". it drives me nuts when ppl have these just to look at ..

second, all your modifications deal with some of the usual rev2 issues, like only 40 preset memory. midi that is hard to find for it, additional heatsink etc.. all good stuff. id say its more likely it increases the value, instead of decreasing it. i got the key modification on mine too.

PS i'd love to know if there's a schematic online or if someone happen to have info on this 3x memory expansion.. i'd love to increase my rev2 to 120 memories. with proper schematic its probably DIY-able.

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

mavertron

Post by mavertron » Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:46 am

clusterchord wrote:i think they're all okay, all modifications.

however, i wouldnt worry about re-sale value that much. price can only go up given time. but first, it's kinda pointless to already think about selling when you're just buying the instrument - i sincerely hope you're buying it to make music, not as an "investment". it drives me nuts when ppl have these just to look at ..

second, all your modifications deal with some of the usual rev2 issues, like only 40 preset memory. midi that is hard to find for it, additional heatsink etc.. all good stuff. id say its more likely it increases the value, instead of decreasing it. i got the key modification on mine too.

PS i'd love to know if there's a schematic online or if someone happen to have info on this 3x memory expansion.. i'd love to increase my rev2 to 120 memories. with proper schematic its probably DIY-able.
thanks guys for your thoughts - clusterchord - no im totally a player ! - hate the collecting mentality myself - (see some of my previous posts- ive had a few rows)

its more to make sure im not paying over the odds, - also i am not a rich guy, so i see my synths as a sort of 'savings account' - should there be an emergency i can sell them, so i guess i am concerned about the value.
its just id rather be able to make tracks with my savings than have them sit in a bank!!

anyway, im real excited, im getting it at the weekend, ill post some youtube demo's over the next few days..

and yes frank, its steves p5! - small world (though i wouldnt want to hoover it...)

matt.

iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Prophet-5, Prophet VS, Pro-One, Moog Prodigy, ARP Axxe, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50
Band: ArtWithHeart

Post by iProg » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:15 am

mavertron wrote:
clusterchord wrote:i think they're all okay, all modifications.

thanks guys for your thoughts - clusterchord - no im totally a player ! - hate the collecting mentality myself - (see some of my previous posts- ive had a few rows)

its more to make sure im not paying over the odds, - also i am not a rich guy, so i see my synths as a sort of 'savings account' - should there be an emergency i can sell them, so i guess i am concerned about the value.
its just id rather be able to make tracks with my savings than have trehem sit in a bank!!

anyway, im real excited, im getting it at the weekend, ill post some youtube demo's over the next few days..

and yes frank, its steves p5! - small world (though i wouldnt want to hoover it...)

matt.

Congrats on a fine analog classic :)

This is a classic issue. My hardware synths are a kind of economic insurance, most of them older ones have a great re-sale value if one keeps them in good condition. They are a reliable investment, apart from the musical appeal and useage.

I'm picking up a new synth tomorrow :D

urgetoplay

Post by urgetoplay » Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:35 pm

Cluster....Key modification? What is it?

clusterchord

Post by clusterchord » Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:50 pm

urgetoplay wrote:Cluster....Key modification? What is it?
ah sorry, i meant key as in key & lock, its on the back -->
mavertron wrote:safety lock to prevent accidental over recording of patches

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

urgetoplay

Post by urgetoplay » Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:31 pm

got it. :wink:

mavertron

Post by mavertron » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:46 am

well just to let anyone who cares know that the prophet sale fell through. The seller pulled out at the eleventh hour because he couldnt bear to part with it. As a fellow synth nerd i understand, but im gutted...

so...im looking for a prophet five rev2, or OBX, with midi, and i will drop £1850 on it.

at current exchange rate that stands at 2,797.72 USD (wow the pound has really dropped on the dollar) - however that would include shipping if its in the US

if anyone has one they want to sell, drop me a pm.

thanks,

matt.

urgetoplay

Post by urgetoplay » Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:49 pm

Prices are a bit higher here for both of those, both are quite uncommon. Good luck...

clusterchord

Post by clusterchord » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:44 pm

mavertron, you will need a bit more $$ for Rev2, esp if in nice condition ($3K+). one in immaculate condition just got sold for $4k. but you can get an OBX for 2.5k or even less. that's not taking shipping into account. or the ammount of time needed to actually source one of these. P5 rev2 is as rare as CS-80 these days.

mavertron

Post by mavertron » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:55 pm

thanks clusterchord for that info,

shame the pound has weakned, that would have been $3,500 a lil while ago..

ok - ill keep looking, if anyone see's either and doesnt want them can you let me know.

thanks,

matt.

iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Prophet-5, Prophet VS, Pro-One, Moog Prodigy, ARP Axxe, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50
Band: ArtWithHeart

Post by iProg » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:52 am

mavertron wrote:thanks clusterchord for that info,

shame the pound has weakned, that would have been $3,500 a lil while ago..

ok - ill keep looking, if anyone see's either and doesnt want them can you let me know.

thanks,

matt.
I would go for an OB-X and a Prophet '08 ;)

hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://soundcloud.com/heath-finnie

Post by hfinn » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:57 pm

Or an OB-X and a rev 2 P5. :)