Daft Punk pre-human after all synths?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Synthprophet

Re: Daft Punk pre-human after all synths?

Post by Synthprophet » Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:45 am

Nice one... I do remember Guy Manuel tweaking a single paramter on the Juno during that live Rollin' and... video.
Man this fresh talk about the Homework album has made me re-discover it. Haven't listened to it for ages.
Clavia: /Nord Lead 2x/
Roland: /AX-Synth/D-50/SH-201/
Korg: /EMX-1/Microkorg/Monotron/MS-20 Mini

killanator
Gear: Alesis Quadrasynth, Roland SH-201, Various MIDI things, Samson MediaONE 5a Active Studio Monitors
Band: Solo

Post by killanator » Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:14 pm

well i can understand why they would want to use a lot of audio tracks from previous songs so they dont have to mess with talk boxes and stuff, and its easier to set up a pyramid. but if i were them screw the pyramid, the robot costumes maybe id keep and just have all my gear on stage. more fun that way, although they probably have to many gear now to haul around...

Jiggz

Post by Jiggz » Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:18 am

After they released Discovery in 2001, they didn't start playing live again until they discovered Ableton a couple of years back, because it was just too difficult for them to integrate their tracks on Discovery into a live set using hardware. Can you imagine trying to recreate all those vocoded synth parts live using hardware and arranging all those sampled loops into programs on hardware samplers to sequence live? Serious headache, and not much fun playing back samples, hence they never bothered playing live after Discovery. But when they discoverd the live tweakability of Ableton a couple of years ago, you could then here them playing live, remixing tracks such as One more Time and many others off Discovery, and blending them into tracks off Homework and human After All. This is all easily done in Ableton.

So now what we are getting from them is an Ableton Daft Punk megamix with a few synth lines (Voyager) thrown over the top. Anyone with Ableton could rip the tracks off their Albums and set about doing a live remix like they do, buy 4 Voyagers and you're all set! It's just remixing.

However, not everyone can work a crowd like daft Punk can...not to mention tear off the roof aswell. That is what makes Daft Punk great. It doesn't matter what they use.

Jiggz

Post by Jiggz » Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:41 am

clubbedtodeath wrote: I'm shocked there's no Korg MS-20.

I can swear I hear one on a couple of Homework tracks.
There is definitely an MS-20 on Rollin and Scratchin':

clubbedtodeath
No Longer Registered

Post by clubbedtodeath » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:16 pm

Jiggz wrote:There is definitely an MS-20 on Rollin and Scratchin':
Wouldn't be surprised if it was used Da Funk as well... it's a great little bass machine. There's some vaguely Daft Punk-style bass lines in my entry to the VSE Staying Alive remix competition, which is well worth checking out.

(And please vote for someone, anyone!)

:D

Hair

Post by Hair » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:16 pm

Jiggz wrote:So now what we are getting from them is an Ableton Daft Punk megamix with a few synth lines (Voyager) thrown over the top. Anyone with Ableton could rip the tracks off their Albums and set about doing a live remix like they do, buy 4 Voyagers and you're all set! It's just remixing.
Not exactly, while a lot of full track remixing is going on, there's also a lot of instances of using a capellas which you'd be hard pressed to simply "rip off the album". Too Long-Steam Machine only has the vocals from Too Long iirc, and Face to Face has the one Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger line vocoded in addition to the Face to Face a capella over parts of the original song, then there's bringing vocoded One More Time vocals back in over the Together/Music Sounds Better With You encore etc
Jiggz wrote:There is definitely an MS-20 on Rollin and Scratchin':
The main line in Rollin' and Scratchin' is definitely a distorted Juno 106.

[youtube]oMQONtT1LJM[/youtube]

Visible at about 5:07 and again at 6:12, maybe other places too.

daguru

Post by daguru » Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:20 am

Hair wrote:Well, I'm not sure about the synths on Around the World (seems like fairly straightforward subtractive stuff), Da Funk (except for the 303 obviously), or Burnin', but I can confidently say that a distorted, resonant, Juno 106 with high noise setting is behind Rock and Roll (LFO delay), Rollin' and Scratchin' (keyboard tracking), the "woOACHww" sound in Burnin' (slow attack, quick decay controlling the filter), and I wouldn't be suprised if a 106 in unison mode + slowish, wide LFO is behind the synth part in Indo Silver Club either.

I made a quick Rock and Roll demo with my 106 a while back to demonstrate:
Luv yur 106 patch. Now I gotta try it on mine :D
I was able to recreate the Burnin' filter sweep on my Waldorf Miniworks. The VCA is midi-controllable and the sweep can be simply triggered on every measure.

From being on the Daft Club and FTF forums, I know that DP also has a CS-80 for their studio albums. The CS-15 has the same filters, and you can hear this guy's feedback loop sounds almost exactly like the main riff in Da Funk.

The 303-ish riff in Da Funk is an actual 303.
Wishlist: Andromeda, Jup-6, JD-800, Diabolical Devices TR-707

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:50 am

I heard that the bassline from "Voyager" is an Korg MS-20.

Daft Punk - Voyager
"*Automatic Gainsay, you ignorant slut." - Primal Drive

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

:happy3:

clubbedtodeath
No Longer Registered

Post by clubbedtodeath » Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:39 pm

RobotHeroes wrote:I heard that the bassline from "Voyager" is an Korg MS-20.
Aye. Single-sawtooth, with with hi-pass filter off; low-pass freq on 1/3, with resonance about 1/2. Used the same thing on my VSE remix competition entry. :D

I'd also guess they've put it through a pitch filter set to an octave below, with about 1/4 wet mix, for extra low-end growl. I'd've said a 2nd oscillator, but the MS-20 can't go down that far. *

[*] This is of course all highly speculative, and may be complete shite.[/size]

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:53 pm

clubbedtodeath wrote:
RobotHeroes wrote:I heard that the bassline from "Voyager" is an Korg MS-20.
Aye. Single-sawtooth, with with hi-pass filter off; low-pass freq on 1/3, with resonance about 1/2.
wow, really? that one i totally would've guessed was a bass guitar compressed & filtered. just what i need, one more reason to crave an MS-20...

Jiggz

Post by Jiggz » Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:55 pm

clubbedtodeath wrote:Wouldn't be surprised if it was used Da Funk as well
The main hook at the beginning sounds like a very MS-20 screaming type of sound. There is also another sound that comes in around 2:30 which sounds like a distorted 303:

clubbedtodeath
No Longer Registered

Post by clubbedtodeath » Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:13 pm

space6oy wrote:wow, really? that one i totally would've guessed was a bass guitar compressed & filtered.
That's what I thought too, at first. What gives it away is that distinctive rattle you can hear on the longer notes.

You can hear it better on this version:

just what i need, one more reason to crave an MS-20...
When/if you get one, you won't regret it. I'm never selling mine.

Jiggz

Post by Jiggz » Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:16 pm

Hair wrote:Not exactly, while a lot of full track remixing is going on, there's also a lot of instances of using a capellas which you'd be hard pressed to simply "rip off the album". Too Long-Steam Machine only has the vocals from Too Long iirc, and Face to Face has the one Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger line vocoded in addition to the Face to Face a capella over parts of the original song, then there's bringing vocoded One More Time vocals back in over the Together/Music Sounds Better With You encore etc.
Well yes, if you are the original artist then you will have access to the accapellas that other people won't.
However it is still just remixing.

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:16 pm

clubbedtodeath wrote:When/if you get one, you won't regret it. I'm never selling mine.
man, this makes me hate AG's CS-15 comparison thread even more! :lol:

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:16 am

clubbedtodeath wrote:When/if you get one, you won't regret it. I'm never selling mine.
Me neither. Korg MS-20 owners FOREVER!
space6oy wrote:man, this makes me hate AG's CS-15 comparison thread even more! :lol:
AG is a player hater. Duke Nukem and the MS-20 shot people up in that thread. That thread was a nice novel though and stirred some interest in a CS-15, for me and a lot of people. Is it a diamond in the rough? Maybe.
"*Automatic Gainsay, you ignorant slut." - Primal Drive

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

:happy3: