Mopho Keyboard version

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Re: Mopho Keyboard version

Post by xpander » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:36 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:
Joey wrote:I feel the whole apple white thing will look as dated as the 80s black keyboards very soon
Totally, Apple don't even do the Apple white thing any more...
i think the white imac & macbook is the height of apple design, not likely to look dated like gray Powerbooks or clamshell iBooks.

dated look: (mid-90s rave art/Designers Republic feel):

the height of modern design. too bad it wasn't a modern Prophet VS:

johans121
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Pro One - PEK - Juno60 - 606 - 777 - MOTM format Modular... and Lots of Effects ‘n stuff analog & digital
Band: Dreams of Psyche

Post by johans121 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:27 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:I personally would love to see DSI put all this re-hashing of the old stuff to bed and get going on finishing off the LDII and then starting work on a sample-mangling keyboard (think MEK without analogue oscs, and with sample playback oscs with modulatable start and loop points)....... I hope if they do make a new Evolver it's got added functionality (samples? wavetables?) rather than just the same old synth in a new box. With the decreased cost and increased power in DSP since the Evolver was first designed I'm sure some nice additions could be made to the digital side of the Evolver without adding too much to the cost.
Would be nice indeed. They already have an established brand for themselves, it would be nice if they started experimenting again - I personally think they will have to as the stromberg & solaris will start to eat away at a PART of the PEK market along with the virus & a6 (not to mention the DEVO's competitors). Time for them to get movin'.
Don't feed me Indian, you WILL regret it!

Computer Controlled
Gear: SH-101 . TB-3 . TR-8 . Juno-1 w/PG-300 . TT-303 . Korg ES2 . Beatstep Pro . Pioneer RMX-500
Band: Computer Controlled

Post by Computer Controlled » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:35 pm

OK, non detented encoders. That's my biggest gripe about the Evo and Mopho. I don't like the damn knobs. It takes far too long to go from min to max. Spin them fast enough, and the DO jump. Shoulda kept my Emu Xboard!
Synths:
Avalon Bassline . TB-03 . JU-06 . MX-1 . Blofeld . MicroMonsta . Akai S5000
Drum Machines:
TR-09 . TR-8

supermel74

Post by supermel74 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:51 pm

Computer Controlled wrote:OK, non detented encoders. That's my biggest gripe about the Evo and Mopho. I don't like the damn knobs. It takes far too long to go from min to max. Spin them fast enough, and the DO jump. Shoulda kept my Emu Xboard!
The Mopho uses the detented encoders too? That's one of the main reasons I ditched the desktop Evolver. Might seem petty to most people but it killed the tweaking experience for me. Scratches Mopho off list of considered synths.

Computer Controlled
Gear: SH-101 . TB-3 . TR-8 . Juno-1 w/PG-300 . TT-303 . Korg ES2 . Beatstep Pro . Pioneer RMX-500

Post by Computer Controlled » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:06 pm

Yes, unfortunately, it uses the same encoders. But it sounds so good, i don't care =o] Same with the Evolver.
Synths:
Drum Machines:
TR-09 . TR-8

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:39 pm

Why are people always giving Apple the credit/blame for combining the color white with tech products?

For as long as I can remember bright white has been the go-to, stereotypical color to suggest all things futuristic.
Personally I like white gear, but I like it because I like '60s and '70s sci-fi, not because I like Apple.
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:04 am

xpander wrote:i think the white imac & macbook is the height of apple design, not likely to look dated like gray Powerbooks or clamshell iBooks.
Have you seen a white Macbook next to one of the new aluminium ones? They look square and bulky and like a kids toy in comparison. Not to mention they get filthy if you actually use them, plus the palmrest cracks they all get.
supermel74 wrote:
Computer Controlled wrote:OK, non detented encoders. That's my biggest gripe about the Evo and Mopho. I don't like the damn knobs. It takes far too long to go from min to max. Spin them fast enough, and the DO jump. Shoulda kept my Emu Xboard!
The Mopho uses the detented encoders too? That's one of the main reasons I ditched the desktop Evolver. Might seem petty to most people but it killed the tweaking experience for me. Scratches Mopho off list of considered synths.
The DSI keyboard synths use non-detented encoders, I see no reason they would change that if they were to make a keyboard MoPho.

hyphen nation
Gear: boxes that make noises

Post by hyphen nation » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:49 am

yeah, to the point where I may sell my MEK....

hyphen nation
Gear: boxes that make noises

Post by hyphen nation » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:51 am

tallowwaters wrote:
tyrannosaurus mark wrote:If they make a keyboard that looks like the mopho, I'll shoot myself
Promise? We should write up a contract. I am already tired of hearing you b***h about how it looks.
you are a master at the minimal comment to shut people up...

loungedumore
Gear: iMac | iPad 2| iPad Air
Beatstep Pro | Mpx8
Volca bass, Keys ,beats
Monotribe | MS20 | SQ1
Minibrute | Midi4+
Graphite 49 | EIE
Band: Death By Media

Post by loungedumore » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:17 am

personally I hope they don't make a keyboard version and save there cem chips for something else ( after all Mr Curtis is no longer with us ).

I just hope they make an upgradable face plate that says what the circuit board says pro one 2 ; )

Also the knobs don't bother me as I use a master controller anyway :roll:
Some wish to leave their mark ... I want to leave a scar .
http://soundcloud.com/death-by-media

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:33 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:Have you seen a white Macbook next to one of the new aluminium ones? They look square and bulky and like a kids toy in comparison. Not to mention they get filthy if you actually use them, plus the palmrest cracks they all get.
i use my white Macbook every day like right now, for work all over the place- it gets heavy use (over 8 hours a day, on all of the time), has been around the globe a few times already. when the palm rest got dirty i searched the interwebs & learned that you can clean the macbook with a Mr Clean Magic Eraser- which i do about every 6 months- it makes it look & feel brand new. and i do think the design of the white/black macbook is better than both the new macbooks & the air, that is exactly my point.

pricklyrobot wrote:Why are people always giving Apple the credit/blame for combining the color white with tech products?
because consumer electronics and computers are rarely white, whereas white-on-white color scheme in dystopian sf movies is a somewhat common convention. they've had a huge run of white products including the iconic ipod & particularly the white ear buds.

Christopher Winkels
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Christopher Winkels » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:35 am

Consumer electronics are often white though. I've had a pair of white microwaves dating back to the mid-'90s that sport an all-white (or nearly so) exterior. Ditto a clock radio, a blender, a lamp, and a coffee maker.

Having said that, I don't get too caught up on aesthetics - it's nice if they're well thought out but utility is more essential to me than beauty. What carries greater import with me is ergonomics and feel and those fiddly little knobs on the MoPho would drive me insane.

ronP
Gear: BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO MT-70; KORG EA-1 mkII, MicroKorg, microSTATION, MicroX, Mini-KP, Monotron; ROLAND Micro Cube; ZOOM FS01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B
Band: Keyfish

Post by ronP » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:28 pm

oo

Two-octave keyboards are to me unusable. Almost every great synth melody and solo -- from Richard Wright to Thomas Dolby, from Bernie Worrell to Nick Rhodes, from Tony Banks to Richard Barbieri -- traverses more than two octaves of keyboard real estate. If you want to play more than "Bm-Bm-Bm-Bm" bass drones, and don't want to play hop skip and jump with octave shift buttons, then one needs that low F, G, A, and B note, minimum. That stated, I still cannot fathom why this rigid rule of "two octaves = mini" has become the industry standard.

Pardon my iconoclastic opinion, but I prefer either the 2 1/2 octave keyboard (ala SH-101, SH-09, CS-01, MG-1, Prodigy, MicroMoog, so forth) or three octaves of minikeys ala microKorg.

oo
BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO Casiotone MT-70; KORG Electribe EA-1mkII, microKORG, mini-KP; QUIKLOK T20 T-REX Series X;
ROLAND Micro-CUBE; YAMAHA PSS130, PSS140; ZOOM FS-01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B

Wanted: BOSS DR-110; CASIO CZ-101; YAMAHA CS-01, DX-100

Computer Controlled

Post by Computer Controlled » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:05 pm

Actually, that's a good point. 2.5 or 3 octave would be best. Or even 3.5 like the Mono/Poly.
Synths:
Drum Machines:
TR-09 . TR-8

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by xpander » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:14 pm

Christopher Winkels wrote:Consumer electronics are often white though.
i'm talking outside the kitchen.