Yamaha An1x non-steppy filter sweeps

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Yamaha An1x non-steppy filter sweeps

Post by Jabberwalky » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:12 pm

This was discussed some time ago, possibly 3 years ago. There was a guy on here that had a good configuration by using the Mod Matrix to do filter sweeps without being steppy. Does anyone recall this, or know of the threads location?

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Re: Yamaha An1x non-steppy filter sweeps

Post by Bitexion » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:15 pm

You mean using the filter cutoff knob? Otherwise steppy synths never show steps when you use the envelope to sweep the cutoff instead of slider.

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Jabberwalky » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:09 am

Ah yes, you're on the right track. I do recall it being a certain setup with the envelope. I tried using the filter env sustain with the mod wheel and it still seems steppy. Thanks for the info though

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:39 am

The mod wheel shouldn't be steppy, it's a 14 bit value rather than a 7 bit one like most other midi controllers. Hmmm....

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Jabberwalky » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:55 am

doubly bubbly
Last edited by Jabberwalky on Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Jabberwalky » Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:00 am

The filter is inherently steppy by itself when tweaking, but it's completely smooth when modded by the envelope. The modwheel is just an example, it could be routed to anything; knobs, ribbon, after touch, etc. They all have the same steppy effect. I wish I could find that thread. I'm just trying to route the envelope's effect on the filter to the mod wheel. It's possible, I did at one point....then I lost my old patches.

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:15 am

The "FEG Depth" parameter, maybe?

Routing the "FEG Sustain" to the Mod Wheel can also yield some cool, though occasionally unpredictable, results.
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Jabberwalky » Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:32 am

Summa

Post by Summa » Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:43 am

Unfortunately quite some end 90s synths and even some actual models come with a rather bad parameter interpolation, what can be quite audiable on filtersweeps with high resonance setting. It might help to use the pitch bend controller instead, it has a higher resoultion (0 - 16383) than usual controller unless the synth ignores the LSB. I might try it myself on the AN1x if I find the time.

Summa

Post by Summa » Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:45 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:The mod wheel shouldn't be steppy, it's a 14 bit value rather than a 7 bit one like most other midi controllers. Hmmm....
You mistaken the mod-wheel with pitch bend...

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:35 am

Summa wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote:The mod wheel shouldn't be steppy, it's a 14 bit value rather than a 7 bit one like most other midi controllers. Hmmm....
You mistaken the mod-wheel with pitch bend...
Right you are, oops. :oops:

Been a while since I brushed up on my midi spec.

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:38 am

I find assigning the Cutoff to the Foot Controller and using an expression pedal works pretty well. Not sure if the resolution is better, but physically speaking I can definitely get a smoother motion with my foot and a pedal than with my hand and a knob or wheel. Plus it leaves both hands free for other stuff.
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Jabberwalky » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:12 am

Ya, screw it. It's not too incredibly noticable and my foot controller needs some use.

stephen
Gear: Laptop
House Brick
Renoise
Loomer Aspect
FM8

Post by stephen » Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:56 pm

Firstly, set the cut-off to a sensible start value (a lower number works best). Then you need to tweak with the decay and sustain amounts in the filter env, and set FEG to max.

As a start value set the filter decay to somewhere between 30 and 50, and set a reasonably high sustain. Can't give specific values right now as I'm not at home. The range of sweep you get depends on the value you assign to the cutoff.

You can now do smooth filter sweeps by adjusting either the FEG, filter decay or sustain - experiment with each. It work a treat, I use it all the time.

Obviously, this technique works on other synths too, not just the AN1x.
Stephen(2)

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Post by Zamise » Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:12 am

Yeah, I thought there is a range setting somewhere for the cutoff & res on the AN1X's mod matrix that might do the trick. Could be called envelope depth??? Use a less wide range, won't be as wide but incraments may be closer together within the smaller range. Been a little while since I've dug into it and its matrix, I can't recall ever having the steppy filter prob on mine that people mention they get when sweeping. Maybe I'm too deaf to notice, but I have noticed before, can't remember if it happens on AN1X too and its filter, but sometimes the 0 to 1, or none to the first smallest incrament value can be noticably noticable on certain other yamaha gear. Using FEG to filter sweeps, just got into a bit recently, not on the AN1X, I agree its a cool trick if you understand how it works. Yamaha don't seem to usually max out the Decay on the FEGs which if you tweak that parm out manually then it can add quite a bit of extra goodness to a sound, but perhaps it could also be a source of the stepping on the cutoff and or res to be more noticable too, if the Filter's Decay happens to be peaked out. I've just noticed that anomoly on my RS7k recently, so I'm wondering if it would do something similar on the AN1X.
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]