what age did you get into synthesis?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
novielo
Gear: in order of appearence:
sh2000 s612 nord modular mpc1000 kp3 ms-something cp-251 gameboy s6000 and other crappy stuff
Band: one-man band
Location: by the river, st-jerome, quebec, canada, north america

Re: what age did you get into synthesis?

Post by novielo » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:24 pm

at the age of 12-13 (91-92) i discover an sh-2000 in the basement of my grand-mother. started to mess around with it thru a leslie cab (the leslie by the way sounded like c**p). at the age of 15 i asked my oncle if i could get it, and he let it go. i messed with it for a long time, not realy playing but just having fun with the sliders. as a teenager it had a good place in the band, for sound effects and bass phrase in kinda of rock alternative of the 90

what realy got me into analogue is the album "moon safari" from AIR. god i liked the sounds of it. and shortly after the album of massive attack (the one with a coleopter on it) reinforce the analogue sound i liked.

by the way, i appologies for my answere to yours in the thread where you were finding a way to find out a price list. i did'nt realised you are 14 yo.
-Save yourself the time and have a conversation with a plastic chair. -RobotHeroes

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:43 pm

October 1996, age 23. Korg X5 rompler. First analog was an Akai AX60 8 months later, and an OBXa the month after that.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

Popbott
Gear: Analog & Digital Synths, Samplers, Outboard mixing in combination w/Protools environment.
Band: Astropoprocket

Post by Popbott » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:59 pm

1981, I was ten years old. At the mall with my parents, while walking by a record store I heard this amazing synthesizer song playing. I quickly asked the clerk to tell me what that was playing before my parents left me behind. It was Jean Michelle Jarre's "Magnetic Fileds". I was instantly hooked. :D
Popbott

Summa

Post by Summa » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:11 pm

With Synths when I was 17, playing around with the poly 800 of a friend, with computers/soundchips about 2 years earlier in BASIC on an ATARI 400 (predecessor of the 600XL).
Last edited by Summa on Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Analogue Crazy
Gear: Alesis Andromeda
Korg MS20 Mini
Korg Micro Preset
Korg DS-8
Yamaha Motif 7
Yamaha DX11

Post by Analogue Crazy » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:11 pm

I got into synthesis (Analogue) when i was 13 and got a Roland Promars when i just turned 14. From that moment on, i knew i was Analogue Crazy. :lol:
A6 Andromeda, MS20 Mini, M500SP, DS-8, Motif 7, DX11,

Gianni

Post by Gianni » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:06 pm

killanator wrote:I feel way younger then anyone else on this forum(im 15, first synth when i was 14) and i was wondering what age everyone else was when they got into synthesis and electronic music production.

Piano: 4.

Synthesis: 16.

Electronic music production: :?

Go progressive! :lol:

esqoner

Post by esqoner » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:14 pm

shouldn't this be called, "what year did synthesis get into me?"

8 years old listening to mannheim steamroller's "chocolate fudge"

had a sk-1 and another casio board and got mad it didn't make that sound on the record.

gave up on keys, went to saxophone, then guitar, then drums, eventually turntables...then wanted to make the music i was spinning.

Got an an200 at about 20. and synthesis divided, multiplied, and now owns my brain. not really, but that sounded much more dramatic.

just got a sampler and am running that route more.

i can probably attribute the enjoyment of electronically created/sounding music to atari/nintendo/sega as well...
the little green buttons make the little

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:16 pm

You bunch of young whippersnappers. :lol: I think I was in the third grade when "Switched-On Bach" was released. People don't realize now what a big deal that was back then. For about two years, geeky, effeminite Walter Carlos was a freakin' rock star. He did TV variety shows with his modular Moog; I'm pretty sure I remember seeing him on Ed Sullivan. And I knew I wanted to play a synth.

Of course, in 1968, there weren't too many synths that were accessible to third-graders. Flash forward to 1971. My first concert: The Edgar Winter Group, with Edgar on stage with an ARP 2600 slung around his neck. (Years later I found out it was a prop, but oh well.) "Frankenstein" dropped a bomb on rock music. Nobody had ever heard anything like it. I wanna play a synth, darn it.

As a teenager I had occasional chances to poke at things. A local music store had an Odyssey, and I would sometimes go in and mess with it until they threw me out. Didn't know what I was doing. But my brother used to buy a lot of music magazines. They came with these things called "bingo cards". Each ad in the mag had a number. If you were interested and wanted more info, you circled the numbers of the ads you were interested in on the bingo card, and mailed it to the mag. Business reply mail, no stamp needed. Put down that you're a musician, and they send you stuff! They didn't know we were a couple of teenage wankers. PAiA was one of the best. They sent us all kinds of stuff. I learned a lot about how synths work from reading their catalogs.

Forward to 1980. Starting college. One day I find myself with six loose dollars in my pocket; off to the record store. I come back with a copy of Synergy's Games. I listen to it, and come across that insane-violin sound in Delta Two. What the h**l is that? It says it's a digital synth. Well, I'm planning to be a CS major, so that is just as cool as h**l. A couple of months later, some of the Bell Labs guys who worked with that system came around to our school to do a "concert", which consisted of a tape player and speakers on the stage. Not much to look at, but wow, the music. Guy explains how they have to let a PDP-8 run all night long to produce three minutes' worth.

Now it's 1983, and I'm out of school and I finally have a real paying job in Florida. I'm hanging out at a record store with a couple of guys who work there. They have a band, and they need a keyboard player. I volunteer myself. They ask me, "Can you play?" I lie through my teeth and say "Sure". So, they hire me on the spot. Practice is tomorrow afternoon. I head off to a music store and come home with a Juno-106. Finally! It's mine, all mine! Now I just have to learn how to play it... long night ensues, starting with me spending an hour trying to decide which key is middle C. Oddly, the synthesis part of it doesn't seem odd or strange. In fact, it almost feels like I've been doing it all my life. Next afternoon, I show up, muddle my way through the keyboard-playing part, and dazzle the band with some of the patches I created overnight.

That was the start of the big ride, which hasn't ended yet. I haven't played in a band in ages, but I have gear the likes of which I never dreamed of when I was eight years old listening to S.O.B. I eventually got halfway good at the keyboard part; I'll never be the next Rick Wakeman, but at least I can find middle C now. As for the synthesis part, I've gone so far past the capabilities of those PAiA 2720s that I once lusted over, it's hard to believe. I got analog, I got digital, I got stuff in between, I even have a copy of the successor to the program that produced those tracks I listened to on tape in the recital hall at school in 1980. And I don't have to leave the computer to run all night to produce tracks with it. And as for Carlos' modular Moog -- well I don't have that exactly, but I do have a modular with modern modules. And I don't have to worry about any damn S-triggers.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

nvbrkr
Gear: An electric piano and analog synths.

Post by nvbrkr » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:17 pm

At the age of 13-15 I had a Yamaha CS80 in the house where I was basically living half of the time. It made cool wind sounds, that much I remember, but at that time I thought the electric piano that was in the same house was a whole lot cooler in my mind (as well as Technics "arranger" keyboard of that time).

I was playing the electric piano and guitar myself, so owning a synth wasn't in my priorities. My own first "professional" synth was an Ensoniq SQ1+, which I bought on my 19th birthday, and I was also using the early softsynths (cracked, and with terrible latencies of course). Still sort of regret the SQ1+, because I realized workstations of the 90s were fastly becoming totally redundant due to the adcancement in PC -based music production.

DontGoToCollege

Post by DontGoToCollege » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:17 pm

16 in 1987.
Borrowed my friend's Juno 60 and he still hasn't asked for it back yet!

Italo_DX

Post by Italo_DX » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:38 pm

Junior year of high school. Went from a Yamaha PSS-480 to a DX21 to a JX-3P and now to my wonderful Ensoniq SQ-80 in three years :-)
Yamaha SY77
Casio CZ-3000
Casio SA-5
BOSS DR-220E
Previously owned: Yamaha DX21, Roland JX-3P, Ensoniq SQ-80, Roland D-50

Synthaholic
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Motif XS6, TX802, D-550, A6

Post by Synthaholic » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:48 pm

Well, I guess that depends on what event in my life qualifies as "getting into synthesis"...

Was it building circuits using SN76477 chips bought at Radio Shack when I was 13?

Was it when I wrote sound effects programs on a Radio Shack Color Computer (14-17)?

Was it when I bought my first keyboard, a cheap Radio Shack one with I think 6 different sounds when I was 19?

Was it when I bought a Yamaha PSS-270 when I was 20-21? (100-odd preset sounds, no programmability, but it used FM)

Or got a Soundblaster Pro for my 386 when I was 25? (the original kind with the FM chips, and yes, I programmed my own sounds)

Or when I finally got my first REAL synth (a Korg 01/W) at 26?
Two VCO: thanks to the push rods, one can choose several forms of waves at the same time!
(from a Babelfish translation of a Jupiter-6 site)

Yamaha: Motif XS6, TX802 Roland: D-550 Alesis: A6 Andromeda

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:50 pm

When I was 19 I discovered soft synths. Since then I have obviously moved to hardware, and I don't intend on switching back any time soon. :)
Last edited by OriginalJambo on Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hossinfeffa
Gear: Roland D-50, MT-32, Korg DSS-1, DDD-1, MS-20, Yamaha FB-01, PSS-560, Akai AX-80, MfB 522, Arturia MiniBrute

Post by Hossinfeffa » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:26 pm

cornutt wrote:You bunch of young whippersnappers. :lol: I think I was in the third grade when "Switched-On Bach" was released. People don't realize now what a big deal that was back then. For about two years, geeky, effeminite Walter Carlos was a freakin' rock star. He did TV variety shows with his modular Moog; I'm pretty sure I remember seeing him on Ed Sullivan. And I knew I wanted to play a synth.

Of course, in 1968, there weren't too many synths that were accessible to third-graders. Flash forward to 1971. My first concert: The Edgar Winter Group, with Edgar on stage with an ARP 2600 slung around his neck. (Years later I found out it was a prop, but oh well.) "Frankenstein" dropped a bomb on rock music. Nobody had ever heard anything like it. I wanna play a synth, darn it.

As a teenager I had occasional chances to poke at things. A local music store had an Odyssey, and I would sometimes go in and mess with it until they threw me out. Didn't know what I was doing. But my brother used to buy a lot of music magazines. They came with these things called "bingo cards". Each ad in the mag had a number. If you were interested and wanted more info, you circled the numbers of the ads you were interested in on the bingo card, and mailed it to the mag. Business reply mail, no stamp needed. Put down that you're a musician, and they send you stuff! They didn't know we were a couple of teenage wankers. PAiA was one of the best. They sent us all kinds of stuff. I learned a lot about how synths work from reading their catalogs.

Forward to 1980. Starting college. One day I find myself with six loose dollars in my pocket; off to the record store. I come back with a copy of Synergy's Games. I listen to it, and come across that insane-violin sound in Delta Two. What the h**l is that? It says it's a digital synth. Well, I'm planning to be a CS major, so that is just as cool as h**l. A couple of months later, some of the Bell Labs guys who worked with that system came around to our school to do a "concert", which consisted of a tape player and speakers on the stage. Not much to look at, but wow, the music. Guy explains how they have to let a PDP-8 run all night long to produce three minutes' worth.

Now it's 1983, and I'm out of school and I finally have a real paying job in Florida. I'm hanging out at a record store with a couple of guys who work there. They have a band, and they need a keyboard player. I volunteer myself. They ask me, "Can you play?" I lie through my teeth and say "Sure". So, they hire me on the spot. Practice is tomorrow afternoon. I head off to a music store and come home with a Juno-106. Finally! It's mine, all mine! Now I just have to learn how to play it... long night ensues, starting with me spending an hour trying to decide which key is middle C. Oddly, the synthesis part of it doesn't seem odd or strange. In fact, it almost feels like I've been doing it all my life. Next afternoon, I show up, muddle my way through the keyboard-playing part, and dazzle the band with some of the patches I created overnight.

That was the start of the big ride, which hasn't ended yet. I haven't played in a band in ages, but I have gear the likes of which I never dreamed of when I was eight years old listening to S.O.B. I eventually got halfway good at the keyboard part; I'll never be the next Rick Wakeman, but at least I can find middle C now. As for the synthesis part, I've gone so far past the capabilities of those PAiA 2720s that I once lusted over, it's hard to believe. I got analog, I got digital, I got stuff in between, I even have a copy of the successor to the program that produced those tracks I listened to on tape in the recital hall at school in 1980. And I don't have to leave the computer to run all night to produce tracks with it. And as for Carlos' modular Moog -- well I don't have that exactly, but I do have a modular with modern modules. And I don't have to worry about any damn S-triggers.
What part of Florida were you in? I may have been there at one point. :P
Well fffff.

Box
Gear: Roland JP-8000
Roland JX-3P
Roland JX-8P
1972 Wurlitzer Console Piano
Band: Neo Decorum
Location: Land of oscillators, filters, and other really cool looking stuff.

Post by Box » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:31 pm

I'm 16 now, got my first synth back in June of last year when I was 15. I got into them when I around 13 or so when I started dragging my Mom's old Van Halen and Journey albums out. That and watching Miami Vice really got me into synthesizers. I remember wanting one sooo bad, but finally my urge was relieved last year. What was an urge is now an addiction. :D
Help our very own Maschinengeist (Stéphane) by making your next purchase or repair with him! Click the logo for more info!