what age did you get into synthesis?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
kraku
Gear: genoQs Machines Nemo
Eurorack modular
Future Retro XS
Novation Supernova 2 Pro Keyboard
Kurzweil PC161
Rode K2
ESP EC-400
Ibanez SR-900
Band: Aflecht / Diesel UFO

Re: what age did you get into synthesis?

Post by kraku » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:58 pm

I was about 11 years old back then. My first synth was Yamaha PSR-36 which allowed me to tweak the sounds. I loved it. It also let me record my own drum patterns. I loved that too. It was the perfect total beginners synth with super simple UI and quick learning curve.

My next (and real) synth was Korg Prophecy. I bought it with my very own money when I was 20 years old :) That got me into the secrets of (virtual) analog synthesis.
Misspellers of the world, unit!

JJQ

Post by JJQ » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:05 pm

I think I was about 25-26...1997-78. A Juno-6, soon followed by a Mono/poly.

I was never into synth music in the 80's. For me it started with the acid and trance of 1992. Harthouse, Risingh High, etc.

Never had any digital synths, but a period with the softshit.
Gear: Minimoog, Mother-32, Roland MC-202, TB-303, (Boss) DR-110, TR-505, TR-808, Alpha Juno 2, Jupiter-8, Oberheim SEM, .com/oakley/moon/mos-lab/STG/Sputnik/MegaOhm-modular & Microbrute

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:59 pm

Now I'm turning 33 on NOVEMBER 12th

I got my first serious synthesizer, and ENSONIQ ESQ-1 plus, on the year 1993. SO , I started at 18...

I will love to go back ten years...
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

killanator
Gear: Alesis Quadrasynth, Roland SH-201, Various MIDI things, Samson MediaONE 5a Active Studio Monitors
Band: Solo

Post by killanator » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:06 am

redchapterjubilee wrote:Born in the '70s and grew up in the '80s. I was enthralled with synths early but became a drummer instead. Years later, I was chatting with a bandmate about my love for synth music and how I'd love to get into it when I can afford to buy all the synths and sequencers and drum machines, etc. He then told me about Reason and, better yet, gave me a copy of it. So in 2003 at the princely age of 29 I discovered that you don't need a roomful of gear and began to get into synthesis and creating my own electronic music. Five years later and who knows how much gear later I'm still at it.
i was the opposite of that. i thought all electronic music was made in computers, until i came here and discovered some of my favorite artists use actual synthesizers.

i actually have had a yamaha psr-195 since i was like 4, has like 10 synth sounds on it...

30h5
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: SH-2, JV-880, D-110, M-1000, CS-15, FR-777, FR-XS, ESQ-1

Post by 30h5 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:08 am

I think I was about 17. A friend let me borrow a MC-303 around 1998. I had no instruction manual, no idea how to use it, but I liked it nevertheless. I bought my first synth a year later, a floor model JX-305. I don't know if I could have found a better starter synth. :)

enx

Post by enx » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:46 am

16 (17 now) and buying my 5th synth (not counting ds-10)

wow that happened fast...

Esus

Post by Esus » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:17 am

cornutt wrote:You bunch of young whippersnappers. :lol: I think I was in the third grade when "Switched-On Bach" was released. People don't realize now what a big deal that was back then. For about two years, geeky, effeminite Walter Carlos was a freakin' rock star. He did TV variety shows with his modular Moog; I'm pretty sure I remember seeing him on Ed Sullivan.
Gotcha beat, Dave. I'm probably vying for head geezer around this forum. :) I was 16 in '68 (and saw Hendrix, Janis & Morrison that year). In fact, my IIIp was built that year. I remember S-OB was all the rage, in addition to d**k Hyman's Minotaur in '69. Automatic Gainsay recently referenced W. Carlos' Secrets of Synthesis--I can't recommend it enough as a tutorial for any aspiring synthesist.
I wonder if that Sullivan show is on YouTube?

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:18 am

Hossinfeffa wrote: What part of Florida were you in? I may have been there at one point. :P
Ft. Lauderdale, from '83 to '88.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:25 am

Esus wrote: Gotcha beat, Dave. I'm probably vying for head geezer around this forum. :) I was 16 in '68 (and saw Hendrix, Janis & Morrison that year). In fact, my IIIp was built that year. I remember S-OB was all the rage, in addition to d**k Hyman's Minotaur in '69.
You saw Hendrix? Damn, I'm jealous. Did you ever hear any of Joe Byrd's Moog stuff? I've heard his United States of America stuff was pretty amazing, but I've never found a copy.
Automatic Gainsay recently referenced W. Carlos' Secrets of Synthesis--I can't recommend it enough as a tutorial for any aspiring synthesist.
Probably not, if Carlos has anything to say about it. :shock: I've got the Switched-On Boxed Set, which contains remastered versions of Carlos' first four albums, and a treasure trove of notes. That in itself has been an education -- not only in technique, but also in realizing all of the limitations that synthesists had to work around back then.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

Hossinfeffa
Gear: Roland D-50, MT-32, Korg DSS-1, DDD-1, MS-20, Yamaha FB-01, PSS-560, Akai AX-80, MfB 522, Arturia MiniBrute

Post by Hossinfeffa » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:51 am

cornutt wrote:
Hossinfeffa wrote: What part of Florida were you in? I may have been there at one point. :P
Ft. Lauderdale, from '83 to '88.
Darn, I'm on the gulf coast currently.
Well fffff.

braincandy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by braincandy » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:49 am

I was 12 in 1985 and was fascinated with synths after seeing and hearing lots of Duran Duran, Depeche Mode, and Simple Minds (esp. "Don't You Forget About Me") on TV and radio. I had already tried drums and guitar and decided synths were the most interesting. I was 13 when I received my first synth, a Yamaha DX21 (although I begged for a Juno-60 or 106).
Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster | Squier CV Duo-Sonic | e6400 Ultra | Blofeld | a bunch of effects

Esus

Post by Esus » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:57 am

cornutt wrote:
Esus wrote: Gotcha beat, Dave. I'm probably vying for head geezer around this forum. :) I was 16 in '68 (and saw Hendrix, Janis & Morrison that year). In fact, my IIIp was built that year. I remember S-OB was all the rage, in addition to d**k Hyman's Minotaur in '69.
You saw Hendrix? Damn, I'm jealous. Did you ever hear any of Joe Byrd's Moog stuff? I've heard his United States of America stuff was pretty amazing, but I've never found a copy.
Automatic Gainsay recently referenced W. Carlos' Secrets of Synthesis--I can't recommend it enough as a tutorial for any aspiring synthesist.
Probably not, if Carlos has anything to say about it. :shock: I've got the Switched-On Boxed Set, which contains remastered versions of Carlos' first four albums, and a treasure trove of notes. That in itself has been an education -- not only in technique, but also in realizing all of the limitations that synthesists had to work around back then.
I have photos of that Hendrix show. When I get time I'll post 'em.
Carlos continues to floor me. If you haven't heard it yet, I also highly recommend Sonic Seasonings.

elsongs

Post by elsongs » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:04 am

killanator wrote:I feel way younger then anyone else on this forum(im 15, first synth when i was 14) and i was wondering what age everyone else was when they got into synthesis and electronic music production.

I was 14, I got my first synth, a Yamaha DX7 for Christmas 1985.
Yeah, you're really young, kid, but hey...I was once like you.

Big Gnome
Gear: E-mu Proteus 2500
Ensoniq ESQ-1
Ensoniq VFX
SCI Prelude
Waldorf Blofeld
Band: The Nondescript

Post by Big Gnome » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:17 am

Hard to say. I started messing around with synthesizers in depth in my early twenties (I'm just out of my early twenties presently)--that would be my answer; however, I learned to play keys on the family acoustic piano and a cheapo Casio "workstation", and I dove as deep into that Casio as possible when I was around 19; I've experimented with extreme delay effects and such on my guitars since I was 16 or 17; and I'd been messing around (admittedly with little understanding or skill) with cheap non-real time sound design software from my early teens.
"Sure that's fine in practice, but what about in theory?"
Some of my c**p

redchapterjubilee

Post by redchapterjubilee » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:38 pm

killanator wrote:i thought all electronic music was made in computers, until i came here and discovered some of my favorite artists use actual synthesizers.
I remember my brother dating this girl in the early '80s whose dad had a home studio. Not sure what all was in it but he had easily a room full of synths. He was most excited that he had a computer to control it all and was still learning how to make it work. That image pretty much stayed with me until college when I roomed with a couple of guys who did sampler-based hip-hop and drum & bass. The hip-hop guy was straight Mirage for everything, but the D&B guy used Cubase for sequencing. It seemed like rocket science to me. Mike had a friend from Nashville who'd come up and do raves live with his 101, 303 & 808 all sequenced old-school. Reason had everything built into it. The drum machine, the sequencer, the synths, the effects, etc. It was that one-stop-shop experience in a somewhat friendly interface that was so inviting to me.
http://facebook.com/greatunwashedluminaries
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS