what age did you get into synthesis?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Pilot352

Re: what age did you get into synthesis?

Post by Pilot352 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:26 am

I was 21 when I bought my first synth (Mono/Poly - brand new). I'm now 22 also. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Analog: Mono/Poly, Prophet '08, Juno 106
Digital: Kurzweil SP88, Yamaha DX11, Kawai K4, MS2K, AN1x
Modules: Triton (loaded), Motif ES, MS2KR, E-Mu Proteus 2K, TR626 DM, Roland U220
New Addition: Fender Rhodes 73 Mark I
So much gear... So little time!!!

clubbedtodeath
No Longer Registered

Post by clubbedtodeath » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:31 am

Nicked my brother's Casio VL home organ when I was about 11, ended up with a Casio CZ-1000 when I was 14. After that, I completely ditched synths and occupied myself only with 'real' instruments.

Then around 27 I bought myself a Nord Lead 2 Rack. And that was me back in the game.

Jack Spider
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Gear: -
Bit One
Boss DR-220
Boss DR-660
DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard
Korg LP-10
Roland XP-50
Yamaha QX21

Post by Jack Spider » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:39 am

24 - I heard the Moog Cookbook's first album in 1997 and fell in love with the sounds, despite having passed through the synth-heavy '80s hating them. A year or so of scouring various online resources and books, coupled a serendipitous reissue of the Minimoog in 1998 dragged me in.
I didn't get where I am today by posting on internet forums.
http://www.myspace.com/thegreenalsatian
http://www.soundclick.com/greenalsatian

CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Post by CS_TBL » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:45 am

I think I must've been like 12 or so. We had a music shop. When I was very young I still remember playing oodles o' electronic organs (Eminent, Yamaha, the big expensive Technics, Farfisa, GEM etc.) I recall toying with a Korg Poly61 when I was about 10 or so. At some point synths got in vogue, I guess some of the first digital synths I played in the shop must've been the D5, D10, and D70. So, that would make me about 12 back then. Later on I got into FM, due having a typical OPL soundchip. Halfway the 90's I moved towards sampling, which is where I still more or less am today (+FM ofcoz).
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids

tyrannosaurus mark

Post by tyrannosaurus mark » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:02 pm

I was 18, and I had played lots of other instruments. Now I'm 20, and I've owned lots of different synthesisers. It's really easy to get into synths once you understand how basic music stuff works
Moog LP + Casio SK1 and MT-75 + tube amp = good tone.

Hellhound
Gear: Novation Bass Station Rack, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Alesis Midiverb II, Akai S2000 Sampler & Mackie 1202 VLZ Pro.

Post by Hellhound » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:22 pm

I only got into synth's this year and I'm 14.
Da funk back to the punk!

Christopher Winkels
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Christopher Winkels » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:41 pm

Jack Spider wrote:24 - I heard the Moog Cookbook's first album in 1997 and fell in love with the sounds, despite having passed through the synth-heavy '80s hating them.
That was my "party album" of the summer in '97 or '98 (can't recall which). I'd put it on and watch people's faces light up as they recognized all the FM radio staples done on old synths. I probably turned a few formerly guitar-only individuals to electronic music with that album.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:18 pm

A few years ago...in my early 30s.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

aredj
Gear: A little bit of E-muAccessJomoxKorg -
Spectralis2!

Post by aredj » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:54 pm

7 years - Piano
15-19 years - Bass/Guitar in bands
20-27 - Various Computer sequencers n soft synths

About there... 27 years... I started buying hard synths... Love it... 32 now

fierywater
Gear: Software you probably don't care much about :)

Post by fierywater » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:02 pm

I was seventeen. I blame NIN and my years of piano lessons forced upon me by my parents. I'm twenty now. :)

rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Post by rhino » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:10 pm

a contest i can win!
my folks started me with piano lessons when i was four. My dad was a radio/tv repairman. when i was about 6, some guy brought in a Hammond Solovox for repain...never came back for it. he fixed it and put it on our spinnet.
Even drug it 'on the road' to do dinner music at a local dive. (in jr, high school)
Still have it. looking forward to a full restore someday.

bill
When the wise man points to the stars, the fool looks at the finger.
- Confucius

WhinyLittleRunt

Post by WhinyLittleRunt » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:52 pm

10 years old, on a Casio ToneBank keyboard that my neighbor had and eventually gave me because she never used it. I was obsessed with making "movie scores" on it with the string sounds and you could layer two different presets together for a fuller sound.

Up until 22 or 23 I always had a shitty board that had "synth" sounds in it until it dawned on me that I should get a real synth so I bought a DX7 and from there the obsession grew :)
I like vintage synths....

ronP
Gear: BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO MT-70; KORG EA-1 mkII, MicroKorg, microSTATION, MicroX, Mini-KP, Monotron; ROLAND Micro Cube; ZOOM FS01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B
Band: Keyfish

Post by ronP » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:01 pm

oo

I was 15 when I started with a CASIO MT-70, which I still use, and which I learned to tweak through a collection of vintage Electro-Harmonix pedals given to me by a guitarist who was friends with my father. My sonic abilities in the attic convinced the folks a year later to help me finance the acquisition of a KORG Polysix, so my actual introduction to vintage analog subtractive synthesis occured then, at age 16.

oo
BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO Casiotone MT-70; KORG Electribe EA-1mkII, microKORG, mini-KP; QUIKLOK T20 T-REX Series X;
ROLAND Micro-CUBE; YAMAHA PSS130, PSS140; ZOOM FS-01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B

Wanted: BOSS DR-110; CASIO CZ-101; YAMAHA CS-01, DX-100

redchapterjubilee

Post by redchapterjubilee » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:10 pm

Born in the '70s and grew up in the '80s. I was enthralled with synths early but became a drummer instead. Years later, I was chatting with a bandmate about my love for synth music and how I'd love to get into it when I can afford to buy all the synths and sequencers and drum machines, etc. He then told me about Reason and, better yet, gave me a copy of it. So in 2003 at the princely age of 29 I discovered that you don't need a roomful of gear and began to get into synthesis and creating my own electronic music. Five years later and who knows how much gear later I'm still at it.
http://facebook.com/greatunwashedluminaries
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS

Esus

Post by Esus » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:21 pm

I was 16. Through some amazing luck, I had gone to school with a guy who had access to Vladimir Ussachevsky's lab at the local university. I was able to get in there about a half dozen times and mess around--I still have a recording of one "session". Unfortunately, no photos--kicking myself for that one. :cry:
I remember a Buchla with touch plates and a sequencer, some Moog modules, and a couple of Ampex 350 tape machines. Definitely a defining time.