what age did you get into synthesis?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Re: what age did you get into synthesis?

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:56 pm

My brother took me to a music store at some point... I now can't recall when... at some point between 12 and 14. I had been obsessed with synths since 1976 (when I was 7 and first heard "Fly Like an Eagle"). I played an ARP Odyssey, and brought back an ARP brochure which I still possess.
I visited the music store a lot after that. When I was 16, I told my mom I was going to save up to buy a Korg Poly 800, as it was the cheapest synth available. She went behind my back and bought me a Roland Juno 106 to surprise me.
All of this is her fault. Blame her. :wink:
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

hogberto

Post by hogberto » Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:28 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:My brother took me to a music store at some point... I now can't recall when... at some point between 12 and 14. I had been obsessed with synths since 1976 (when I was 7 and first heard "Fly Like an Eagle"). I played an ARP Odyssey, and brought back an ARP brochure which I still possess.
I visited the music store a lot after that. When I was 16, I told my mom I was going to save up to buy a Korg Poly 800, as it was the cheapest synth available. She went behind my back and bought me a Roland Juno 106 to surprise me.
All of this is her fault. Blame her. :wink:
hot mom :shock:
Analogue Systems RS8500 | Andromeda A6 | Moog Voyager Old School | Korg Radias KB | MEK | DSI Tetr4 | Tom Oberheim SEM | Waldorf Blofeld module | Virus C | A Sol Leipzig-S | XV-5080 | V-Synth XT | Mopho KB

ned-ryarson

Post by ned-ryarson » Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:48 pm

like many, many, many others the microkorg was my first synth, which i bought shortly after it came out.

tyrannosaurus mark

Post by tyrannosaurus mark » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:53 pm

I owned a Microkorg as my first synth too, except it was so complicated to tweak things for a beginner (come on, don't tell me otherwise!) that I learned just about nothing about synthesis from it. All I did was use presets, and figure out how to take all the cheesey effects off them
Moog LP + Casio SK1 and MT-75 + tube amp = good tone.

ned-ryarson

Post by ned-ryarson » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:14 pm

tyrannosaurus mark wrote:I owned a Microkorg as my first synth too, except it was so complicated to tweak things for a beginner (come on, don't tell me otherwise!) that I learned just about nothing about synthesis from it. All I did was use presets, and figure out how to take all the cheesey effects off them

same as me till i took a course on synthesis. but your right, cause with a synth with a good interface at least a beginner can stumble across things by accident or randomly. but with the mk you have to know what you want to access, then go through the menus. you could own one for ages and never once add a bit of modulation to a sound.

saying that, now that i know synthesis, although the interface is how it is, i find the mk really simple to programme and still use it for almost all composition

Synthprophet

Post by Synthprophet » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:27 pm

Like so many others on this forum (apparently), I was 16 so just about 4 years ago. I remember electronic music form when I was very little. Then I was on the mainstream wagon untill the new millenium. I think it was Daft Punk that made me want to discover how this kind of music was done. After experimenting with turntablism and scratching for a few years, I bought a microkorg to see how this was working. I had already been tweaking some demos of Arturias softsynths, but wanted to feel the knobs between my fingers :wink:
Clavia: /Nord Lead 2x/
Roland: /AX-Synth/D-50/SH-201/
Korg: /EMX-1/Microkorg/Monotron/MS-20 Mini

Box
Gear: Roland JP-8000
Roland JX-3P
Roland JX-8P
1972 Wurlitzer Console Piano
Band: Neo Decorum
Location: Land of oscillators, filters, and other really cool looking stuff.

Post by Box » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:24 am

I think it's quite interesting that most of the people here were hooked onto synthesizers in their early teens. And I thought I was the only one. Then again, around here I am.
Help our very own Maschinengeist (Stéphane) by making your next purchase or repair with him! Click the logo for more info!

ryryoftokyo
Gear: Metal, plastic, wood, and electricity.
Band: Tarot Sync

Post by ryryoftokyo » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:02 am

14 or 15....a Roland XP-10.
MU Modular (Moog, Dotcom, STG, Analog Systems, and Moon modules), MS20 (x2), Microbrute, Electribes (EA-1, EMX), microKorg, AN1x, Nord Lead 2x, Blofeld, Alpha Juno 2, DX7, JX8P, Poly 61 (x2), Split 8, TR-505, Monotron Delay, Ace Tone FR-3, Paia Fatman

Mr Knesh
Gear: DP/4+ because in order to dive in deep, you have to DP.

Post by Mr Knesh » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:46 pm

I don't necessarily think that I have anything interesting to add to this thread, but I thought my story differed a little bit from some of the others I have read on here.

When I was 12 my dad purchased a BOSS BR-8. I had already been playing guitar a little bit, my father did as well, and this afforded the oppurtunity to learn how to record and have fun using the effects.
A short while after I found myself in posession of a Roland EM-10. Far from a synthesizer, it still had a lot of classic synth sounds on it, as well as some odd variations of acoustic instruments.
I found as I learned how to record that I wasnt satisfied with the sounds that I was limited to with the combination of guitar and arranger keyboard. As such, I found myself using effects and experimental recording techniques to manipulate the sounds that I was recording, and then layering them so that by the time I was done, the music I made was nothing similar to anything I had heard before.
I was far more satisfied with this approach.
After high school I met a fellow who happened to own a Juno-106, DX-7, and an SH-32. Afterward I joined the workforce as a salesman at guitarcenter where I had exposure the most awesome gear-centric people, who were usually very willing to impart their knowledge about synthesizers, compressors, dmx programmers, etc....

Now Im a barista at a cafe and am actually able to make money, and have enough free time to make music! :D

CJ the noisemaker
Gear: Novation X Station 49
Korg Poly 61M
Band: Hokago Family Band

Post by CJ the noisemaker » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:10 am

I was 13 when I got into synthesis, and it was because i was listening to a lot of 80's music (early 80's to be exact.) up untill now (I'm 17) I get into all of the old records like Weather Report, and Richard Hyman. It's also the fact that you can make music, or sound just tweaking knobs and flipping switches. It's very flexible, and fun.
Being that you can do so many things with it [the synthesizer]... you can make sounds bigger than life.
-Stevie Wonder