Organs with Analogue Synths Built-In?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Organs with Analogue Synths Built-In?

Post by StepLogik » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:13 pm

I see a lot of home/church/theater organs going up for sale. Some of these models look insanely complex. Does anyone know of any models that have analogue synths built-in that I should keep an eye open for?

I've heard of the Wurlitzer with the "orbit" synth but apparently its very basic. I'm curious if some of the more elaborate models have better synthesizers built in.

Ever seen a Lowrey Stardust organ? Holy damn that thing looks the bridge of the starship enterprise:

Johnny Lenin
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: JX8P | AX60 | Little Phatty Stage II | DW8000 | Vox Jag | Fantom X6 | Juno-G | P-Bass | AS-120 | Double Jet

Re: Organs with Analogue Synths Built-In?

Post by Johnny Lenin » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:30 pm

Well, the Cordovox/Moog CDX-0652 "White Elephant" is the classic example. It features a fairly nice-sounding combo organ -- sounds a bit like an Ace-Tone Top-5 to my ears -- with a built-in Moog Satellite. I would love to own one of these just for the retrofuturistic-ipod look. Thomas organ -- the guys who built American Vox organs -- marketed the same model with a different form factor as the Thomas Moog organ.

I've seen working Cordovox White Elephants sell for less than $500.

novielo
Gear: in order of appearence:
sh2000 s612 nord modular mpc1000 kp3 ms-something cp-251 gameboy s6000 and other crappy stuff
Band: one-man band
Location: by the river, st-jerome, quebec, canada, north america

Post by novielo » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:45 pm

wow, the shape of that thing is georgous!! for 500$?? was that a long time ago?

my sk-50d had a synth part to it, basic but it worked and have v/hz and gate in/out
-Save yourself the time and have a conversation with a plastic chair. -RobotHeroes

TACO

Post by TACO » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:56 pm

I was kicking myself when my friend let his CDX go for $250 ... didn't have the cash.

At our studio/practice space there's a big organ with a Moog Satellite built in as well. Totally something you'd find on your church search. I'll get the details and post them here soon.

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:21 pm

Well, Yamaha eased itself into synthesizers by incorporating synth circuits into its organs starting around 1976. And the GX-1 was more intended to be an uber-organ than a synth per se.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

nvbrkr
Gear: An electric piano and analog synths.

Post by nvbrkr » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:27 pm

The big Yamaha Electone synths from the late-70s (E-70, E-50, E-30, D-85, 445(not sure? there were still a few models made in the 80s of this very same type)) have synth-like features, or a mono synth section implemented - as well as sharing design-wise (similarities and components) with the CS-series, and even the GX-1.

Still hunting for that E-70. Somebody tried to get a E-30 sold for 1500 here recently... meh. Shared cpmponents with the GX-1 or not, I'm not paying more than 150 for that. :?
Last edited by nvbrkr on Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:47 pm

I bought that EX-42 that was on eBay a couple months ago. It is still in the crate that the seller shipped it in sitting in my warehouse. I'm about to move, so I'm leaving it in the crate until we move. So be looking for some YouTube vids in a couple months of this monster. The other problem is hooking it up to speakers. I need to have someone rig up a cable with this connector:
Anyone know anything about this?

Back in the summer, I scored this Eminent Solina Organ for $25:
When I bought it, only the E through G# keys were working on the upper manual, but now all started working. The rhythm section doesn't work right and the low C on the bass pedals doesn't work. Not too bad for $25.

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:51 pm

that connector looks like some variation on the popular socapex connectors used for a lot of stage/entertainment cabling.

do you have a schematic? I'd just chop it off and build a breakout box or fan-out.

:lol: it never occurred to me that could be a leslie connector. i've never seen a plug (just the jack) but that could be it... ?
Last edited by StepLogik on Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nvbrkr
Gear: An electric piano and analog synths.

Post by nvbrkr » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:51 pm

Z wrote: So be looking for some YouTube vids in a couple months of this monster.
Definitely.

novielo
Gear: in order of appearence:
sh2000 s612 nord modular mpc1000 kp3 ms-something cp-251 gameboy s6000 and other crappy stuff
Band: one-man band
Location: by the river, st-jerome, quebec, canada, north america

Post by novielo » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:58 pm

z isn't it a connector for leslie rotating speaker??
-Save yourself the time and have a conversation with a plastic chair. -RobotHeroes

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:02 pm

StepLogik wrote:that connector looks like some variation on the popular socapex connectors used for a lot of stage/entertainment cabling.

do you have a schematic? I'd just chop it off and build a breakout box or fan-out.

:lol: it never occurred to me that could be a leslie connector. i've never seen a plug (just the jack) but that could be it... ?
I don't have the schematic nor do I have the cable. The seller kept the speakers, but I had him sen that photo of the speaker connectors. I posted a Help topic about this here are couple onths ago and someone directed me to an organ forum. A memeber there (in Houston) said he had the connector. Once I get moved and open the crate, either myself or a tech can try to probe the organ's jack to see what pins do what. I think Leslies have differnt pin configurations. Not sure, I'm not an organ guy.

Not sure if you guys remember the auction or not. You could pobably search Matrixsynth for photos (that's how I found the eBay listing). From the photos, it looks like something you'd see on the Death Star. Even if I can't get it working/making sound, it'll make a cool prop for a video.

Johnny Lenin
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: JX8P | AX60 | Little Phatty Stage II | DW8000 | Vox Jag | Fantom X6 | Juno-G | P-Bass | AS-120 | Double Jet

Post by Johnny Lenin » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:00 am

novielo wrote:wow, the shape of that thing is georgous!! for 500$?? was that a long time ago?
I saw one on Craigslist for $450 this summer, and a couple of years ago, just after I bought a Farfisa Pro, I saw a different one on NJ CL for $350. There's one on eBay right now, here that needs some work for $499. It's hard to say for sure, but the problem is very likely a question of dirty key contacts.

CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Post by CS_TBL » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:19 am

I wonder whether there'll ever be a organ-revival among producers and synthfreaks. Not talking those smaller organs but those large Lowrey models that do look like a spaceship. I mean, musicians like lights, buttons, thingies 'n stuff (and lots of 'em), don't they?
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids

Johnny Lenin
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Johnny Lenin » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:36 am

CS_TBL wrote:I wonder whether there'll ever be a organ-revival among producers and synthfreaks. Not talking those smaller organs but those large Lowrey models that do look like a spaceship. I mean, musicians like lights, buttons, thingies 'n stuff (and lots of 'em), don't they?
I know there's something of a combo organ revival right now. You can see it it the ridiculous prices people are asking for semi-functional Vox Continentals, the Nord C1 and the Korg Vox concept last NAMM.

Not so much for the large console organs, though. They're really, really big and heavy and I don't think they really offer anything that a modern synth can't do. On the other hand, they are cool to look at... And I do keep hearing about a revival of theatre organs... The one at the Loews Jersey in Jersey City is pretty amazing. I almost s**t myself when I heard it live.

[youtube]jDmjTlwsE6M[/youtube]

JJQ

Post by JJQ » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:07 am

The Yamaha electone CSY-1 & CSY-2 are standard homeorgans but with a SY-1 or SY-2.

I could have one for 30$ but didnt have the place for it... #-o
Gear: Minimoog, Mother-32, Roland MC-202, TB-303, (Boss) DR-110, TR-505, TR-808, Alpha Juno 2, Jupiter-8, Oberheim SEM, .com/oakley/moon/mos-lab/STG/Sputnik/MegaOhm-modular & Microbrute