Elka Synthex "Laserharp" sound... How?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Re: Elka Synthex "Laserharp" sound... How?

Post by Bitexion » Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:35 pm

Bitexion still has it lying around. The key is an exotic modulation where you modulate PWM with the other oscillator.
That's why the timbre is so difficult to get just right on other, lesser synths. And hard sync naturally.
Here's all the exact settings posted by JMP. Note the "Waveform OSC1 PWM". Very rare modulation on most synths.
An envelope sweeps the pitch of the hardsynced oscillator downwards for the characteristic baoooooooo sound.
------------------------------------------------------------
synthex laserharp

LFO - Triangle Waveform routed to PW2. Depth 3. Frequency 3. Delay 0.
Tuning - OSC2 Sync On.
OSC 1 - 8' Octave. Transpose 0. Pulse Waveform. Pulse Width -1 (of -5 to +5). Volume 7.
OSC 2 - 2' Octave. Transpose 7 (of 0 to 12). Waveform OSC1 PWM + Ring Mod. Pulse Width -1. Volume 7.
Glide - OSC2 Glide. Speed 10. Amount 2.
Filter - Low Pass. Resonance 0. Frequency 5. Keyboard 10. Envelope 5.
Chorus setting - 1 (Lowest of three).
Filter Envelope - Attack 0. Decay 2. Sustain 2. Release 0.
Amp Envelope - Attack 0. Decay 5. Sustain 5. Release 3.
Release envelope ON.

JMP
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by JMP » Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:54 pm

Soundwave wrote:
wickfut wrote:and I thought I was the only person into synths in Preston (well it seemed that way when I went upstairs in soundcontrol)
You'd be very surprised at some of the synths that can be found around these parts bud.

I even saw a Synthex up for sale here in Preston a little while ago.
Must of missed that one, thought my old one I sold last year was the last to come up round these parts. I'm also in Preston by the way. :) Oh yes, upstairs at Sound Control WAS a proper graveyard of activity, probably why it didn't last. Been taken over though now I think, anyone been in ?

THM
Gear: ARP 2600
Elka Synthex
EML Polybox
EMS SynthiAKS
mTron
MOOG Mini- & Memorymoog
Oberheim SEM
Roland Jupiter-8/...
Yamaha CS80
DotCom
>see MySpace
Band: THM

Post by THM » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:46 pm

Yoozer wrote:
THM wrote:On other synths it's hard (read: impossible) to recreate exactly this sound.
"Exactly" - probably. But "awfully close"? Sure! http://www.perkristian.net/Virus_KB_Audio.htm -> LaserHarp.
Well I agree that comes pretty close indeed.
I admit Per Kristian is a tweak genious - listen to all his recreations of old wellknown sounds; it's unbelievable...
I have many respect for him too as he's really an expert but still very generous to a lot of people by e.g. offering his Access Virus patch settings for free.

And FYI: he also owns (or at least owned) a real Synthex too.
DotCom Modular * ARP 2600 * Elka Synthex * EML PolyBox * EMS Synthi AKS * MOOG Minimoog Model D, Memorymoog * Kurzweil PC88 * Oberheim SEM * Roland Jupiter-8, JP-8080, Juno-60, TR808, TB303, MKS50, RE301, SDE330, SRV330 * Yamaha CS0 * see THM on MySpace

wickfut

Post by wickfut » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:42 am

JMP wrote:
Soundwave wrote:
Must of missed that one, thought my old one I sold last year was the last to come up round these parts. I'm also in Preston by the way. :) Oh yes, upstairs at Sound Control WAS a proper graveyard of activity, probably why it didn't last. Been taken over though now I think, anyone been in ?
Yeah I went in , I was about to go upstairs and the manager (I think he used to be the old manager too) advised me not to bother because it was all organs and home keyboards until they get their s**t together.

I'll probably pop in for some midi cables or something in the next week and try and stealth sneak my way upstairs this time
My old stuff from yonks ago (1999-2001)...
click me for lofi music player
click me for main page

Somebody somewhere in the UK must have a decent condition, none modded tb303 to flog me ?

Dividedbyzero

Post by Dividedbyzero » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:47 pm

I was lucky enough to obtain the multi samples of the Synthex preset back when Steve Howell gave away tons of vintage samples on his Hollow Sun site. I also bought a couple of his sample CD’s a few years ago and he sent a free DVD with all the samples that are now in Zero-G’s Nostalgia package. I think it was in there too. Sounds great, I keep it loaded into my Fantom for when a Rendez-Vous moment stikes.

I also have some multi-samples of the Eminent Organ Strings from Oxygene etc from the same source. Shame he had to sell all the rights away and stop the downloads but everyone took the free stuff and didn’t buy the products. He still has some great free stuff though if you have an Alesis Fusion (?)

Synthigraphie
Gear: Alesis Fusion 6HD
Roland Super JX + PG-800
Roland D-50
Akai AX73
ARP Omni I
Korg EA1-Mk2 & ER-Mk2
Yamaha PSR-640, PS-20, PSS-680

Post by Synthigraphie » Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:20 pm

You can find free soundfonts of the laser harp here : http://www.hammersound.com/cgi-bin/soun ... tLength=15

This is a sound I am not able to reproduce, but on a JX-10 I could recreate the "other" laser harp used on Rendez Vous III

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:36 pm

I also found multisamples of the laserharp years ago somewhere. It's sampled from every C and G across 5 octaves, so it's more or less perfect across the keyboard.

The main strings melody is also synthex AFAIK.
Rendez-vous is known as his "synthex album" just like Revolutions is his "Roland D-50 album", and Zoolok is the "Fairlight CMI album". The synth bombed initially on the market because noone wanted a knobby analogue synth in 1984 when the new digital synths were all the jazz. But Jarre got it, used it all over the album, and suddenly everyone came running and wanted to buy one, but by then it was discontinued from Elka already. So it's a rare beast to find on ebay.

tim gueguen

Post by tim gueguen » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:14 am

FYI volume 15 of Make magazine has an article about someone who built their own laser harp, so you might want to check out your local library or magazine shop to see if they still have a copy.
Keys: Realistic Concertmate 500, Korg K25, Korg Micro X

Guits: '86 Fender Japan '50s Reissue Strat, '80 Aria Pro II TS-300 Thor Sound

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:53 am

Can find several articles online about how to build a laserharp. Some are both with pictures and video.
Mostly to prove that Jarre isn't faking it.

Soundwave

Post by Soundwave » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:18 am

Tony at Oakley Soundsystems made an amazing polyphonic laserharp for the Jarrelook cover band.

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:57 am

one of my friends is having a laser harp built for him for when he goes on tour next year
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com