mfb kraftzwerg compatibility

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
eumir

mfb kraftzwerg compatibility

Post by eumir » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:49 pm

I've been buying and selling lots of synths for the past 7 years. Some VAs, some analogs, some VSTs... and none has satisfied me. So I'm now thinking on going the modular way, but money is an issue. Modulars are just so expensive... well, the thing is, I wanna buy something I can use and then expand. So, what I wanna know is, if i buy a mfb kraftzwerg, will I be able to buy new modules and integrate them with it?
Last edited by eumir on Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yamaha DX100, TQ5, TG33, RM1X
Evolution EVS-1

soundxplorer

Re: mfb kraftswerg compatibility

Post by soundxplorer » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:09 pm

Sure. The Kraftzwerg can be seen as a pretty good (and cheap) intro to modular stuff. MFB sells the modules individually too, in EoruRack format. So later on, if you wanted to expand, you could buy a rack and power supply and start adding EuroRack modules (Doepfer, Plan B, etc.) and you could patch between them and the Kraftzwerg.

Hair

Re: mfb kraftswerg compatibility

Post by Hair » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:40 pm

Other, slightly (but only slightly) pricer options would be the FutureRetro XS and Analog Solutions Red Square. Like the MFB they're fine as a standalone, but would play nicely with expansion due to lots of patch points - which are 1/4", not 1/8" like on the MFB for what it's worth.

My experience with all three is sadly limited to drooling, though.

eumir

Re: mfb kraftzwerg compatibility

Post by eumir » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:16 am

thanks for the info.
Do any of you know if I could just buy Analogue Solutions Sy01, VCO-SUB, a case w/psu (like the 84HP) and a Doepfer MCV4 midi-to-cv for a working mini-system and expand from there? It's about the same price as the Kraftzwerg.
Evolution EVS-1

novielo
Gear: in order of appearence:
sh2000 s612 nord modular mpc1000 kp3 ms-something cp-251 gameboy s6000 and other crappy stuff
Band: one-man band
Location: by the river, st-jerome, quebec, canada, north america

Post by novielo » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:58 am

may i suggest that you buy the case and midi-cv converter that is also a power supply to start with?
not bad for 260$ and it's in eurorack format so you could buy the doepfer to go with it.

http://www.analoguehaven.com/mfb/midicv/
-Save yourself the time and have a conversation with a plastic chair. -RobotHeroes

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:31 pm

Your mini system would be extremely limited compared to the Kraftzwerg. The SY01 has limited patching and you'd be lacking in LFOs and EGs.

PS: I have a Kratzwerg for sale and might be able to ship it to Mexico, PM me.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

eumir

Post by eumir » Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:26 pm

Thanks guys. I think I'll get the kraftzwerg and then I'll start a new system. Thank you all.
(I sent you a pm meatballfulton)
Evolution EVS-1