Vintage Casiotones w/ MIDI

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Vintage Casiotones w/ MIDI

Post by StepLogik » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:30 pm

Does anyone know if any of the early model Casio keyboards had MIDI? The earliest I can seem to find is the CT-6000. It seems like once Casio starting introducing MIDI on their consumer keyboards, they were out of the "cool" phase and into the more modern (that is, realistic sounding), less interesting models. I'm not as concerned with the HT/CZ series - I'm more interested in the vintage MT/CT series.

Of the candidate models, do any of them allow the auto-rhythms to sync to midi clock?

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Re: Vintage Casiotones w/ MIDI

Post by meatballfulton » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:53 pm

MT-240...not sure if that preceded the CT6000.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

devetron

Post by devetron » Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:20 pm

Check out the MT-540.
http://weltenschule.de/TableHooters/Casio_MT-540.html
Not sure if the beats sync to midi or not, but I would imagine they do. If I remember, my friend's HT-700 did that.

Oh, Google just made me aware of the MT-640 and MT-750. Both have midi, but seem pretty rare.
The 640 had OCTAGONAL drum pads on it, not hexagonal which seemed to be the standard at the time. Looks pretty wild. Here's a bent one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecv6zPGCHcI
synths

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:42 pm

damn i must be epic fail at google because i didn't find anything :lol:

that MT-640 looks like a beast :)

i can feel the prices on these models going up on ebay already.

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by StepLogik » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:52 pm

The amount of reverse engineering this guy has done on his "tablehooters" site is astonishing:

http://weltenschule.de/TableHooters/

mung
Gear: Nord Electro, Yamaha DX 7, Alesis Ion, Crumar Orchestrator, Roland Juno-G, Korg R3, Casiotone 7000, Edirol PCR-M80, Boss RE20, Boss RT20, Boss GT-8

Post by mung » Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:45 am

I have a Casiotone 7000, and while I don't have a midi-set up with it, I do run it through my Boss GT-8 to produce some interesting drones as well as leads and organ effects. A video:

[youtube]2Gj9dLd7U5M[/youtube]

By the way, this is my first post here! :occasion5:

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:11 am

I saw this midi kit the other week. Looks like the kit costs more than the actually casio.

http://highlyliquid.com/kits/vl-1-midi/
"*Automatic Gainsay, you ignorant slut." - Primal Drive

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

:happy3:

hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://soundcloud.com/heath-finnie

Post by hfinn » Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:11 pm

I had a MT-540 and it definitely had midi. I remember using it to control a rack synth of some kind. I also know that Sonic Boom (Spectrum, Spacemen 3) used a MT-540 as well because I recognize some of the sound effects on a few his tracks. They are pretty unmistakable. The piano sound wasn't half bad for what it was. Strings were pretty good through effects. If I remember correctly Carbon111 had one as well.

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by StepLogik » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:36 am

Casio MT-600 (link to Sealed's Deep Synthesis Page): http://homepage.mac.com/synth_seal/html/mt600.html

Very nice sounding.

desdinova

Post by desdinova » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:48 pm

I had a CT-6000, wish I never sold it. The action was good, transposition slider did affect MIDI out, adjustable pitch bend and some of the sounds were alright.
rerum concordia discors | genre: wankery

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by StepLogik » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:15 pm

devetron wrote:Check out the MT-540.
If I remember, my friend's HT-700 did that.
Yup, it has midi clock sync.

I picked up a mint HT-700 for $50 yesterday. Interesting little keyboard, sounds great through decent monitors.