Any vintage synth owners in Bangkok?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Rasmus Faber

Any vintage synth owners in Bangkok?

Post by Rasmus Faber » Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:26 pm

I will stay in Bangkok for about one month, producing music using a portable studio rig.

I'm on the lookout for someone who might have some good analogue synths, to hire for small session recordings (doesnt have to move them, the session could take place in the original location)

Also, in particular if someone in Bangkok has a juno 106 for hire or sale, info would be much appreciated!

Regards

Rasmus Faber

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Re: Any vintage synth owners in Bangkok?

Post by StepLogik » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:07 pm

with a tiny population of only 5.5 million, i think its pretty unlikely there any vintage synth owners there.

Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:03 pm

StepLogik wrote:with a tiny population of only 5.5 million, i think its pretty unlikely there any vintage synth owners there.
I would be willing to take that bet. :lol:
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:27 pm

bangkok is still a real city, you should be able to hunt something down although you will find nothing outside the city, rural thailand is simple living, zero wealth. fun place, bring extra money to buy counterfeit goods.

Rasmus Faber

Post by Rasmus Faber » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:41 pm

Been to bangkok a couple of times for gigs, but never stayed longer than 2-3 days, so didnt get to see much.
Well, I did get the vibe that the music scene, although not as tech developed as in the west, is still good enough to perhaps contain a few gearsluts, local or foreigner.
So hopefully awaiting some more answers here!

alpha5000dk
Gear: Clavia|NordRack2X
Korg|TritonLe
MFB|FilterBox
Waldorf| Rocket
National|SX-3800a

Post by alpha5000dk » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:30 pm

StepLogik wrote:with a tiny population of only 5.5 million, i think its pretty unlikely there any vintage synth owners there.
That is exactly the same number of people living in Denmark. But of course Denmark is a wealthy western european country, so might not be comparable and I've never been to Bangkok or Thailand :wink:

Post by 0000 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:42 am

more like about 15 mill in bkk

there is a music shop that has second hand gear

have seen xp-80, m-1, karma, etc.

they did have a juno-2 there for awhile

they may rent you one but most likely will only sell.

its is in panthip plaza, a major electronics shopping center

the only other analog i've seen was a poly 800 and that was up country

will be very hard to find unless you speak thai and have the time to find one

then again you maybe lucky and stumble across a 'farang' who has or knows of one.

pay for my one way ticket from australia and i'll bring my xpander...... :mrgreen:

tIB

Post by tIB » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:58 am

^ I smell a zoot... look forward to getting my greasy mitts on that expander when you arrive...

Im in Bagkok, Ive not seen a great deal of analogue/vintage gear here over 7 months Ive been out here...
Ive picked up a DX7 and a korg prophecy from the shop described in the above post; I check in there every week or so, if anything interesting drops in I can let you know? Theres sh!t loads of roland sound canvases out here though!

Theres also a shop called tokai music in the sticks of Bagkok, though its pretty rare anything decent goes through it itll probably give you a decent idea of what comes through on a regular basis.

I also have elektrons and a micromodular out here but obviously they are neither analogue or vintage!

Rasmus Faber

Post by Rasmus Faber » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:26 am

Cool! So I'll definitely walk by that Panthip plaza store and see if I'm lucky. Would that be a decent place to pick up a standard midikeyboard and a keystand too?

Thanks for the help guys!

Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:40 pm

I found this link:

http://www.mexthai.com/product.detail_0 ... 48?lang=en

which seems in English but this:

http://www.mexthai.com

seems not...

and here's some of their inventory (keyboards):

http://www.mexthai.com/product_94948_en

but I don't see any analogues...
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

tIB

Post by tIB » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:20 am

^ I believe the mexthai place is different but that they are linked in selling the same second hand gear. Theyre both on the same floor also...

There are often midi conteollers in the shop but the quality and price varies- there was an maudio axiom 64 key in there recently for about 15000 baht I believe, though usually they are fairly poor edirol controllers, the cheapest at around 6500. I ended up buying the dx7 to use as a controller as at 9000 baht it had the best keyboard action and was only around 1000 baht more than a really s**t/battered edirol midi only unit. Keyboard stands are around 1300 baht I believe.

There is a new shop near mo chit BTS opening in december which is computer music based, all new gear though and looks overpriced. Id say the market priced over the european market out here although you can get lucky on a few bits, as I did with the prohecy.

Since Im not using the dx you could always take it off my hands... :wink:
(In all seriousness It would probably work out cheaper than the controllers in panthip.)

EDIT: Dont forget to haggle (nicely) in the shops.

automobileband

Post by automobileband » Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:06 pm

hahaha i'm thai

ned-ryarson

Post by ned-ryarson » Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:58 pm

i was in thailand for a month. commercial thai pop music is halarious