New Andromedas are here

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
seamonkey

New Andromedas are here

Post by seamonkey » Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:16 pm

After a year or more of dried up supplies of new Andromedas, suddenly most stores have them in stock.
What does this mean? does Numark realize they could have something competitive in the maketplace after watching the success of Dave Smith's Prophet 08? did someone over at Numark finally convince someone to take their head out of their arses and realize they have a potential money maker just sitting there. With a bit of savvy marketing and keeping the price reasonable they can be competitive in the analog synth maket.

I have gone back and forth for years on whether to pick up an Andromeda but was afraid of buying one used off of the bay and the availability in stock of new ones was non-existent.
Friday I ordered a new one from Analoguehaven and am exitedly awaiting it's arrival late next week. I'm very happy about my decision even tho it means selling some stuff to help pay for it.

Has anyone else wanted one but held off because of the reliability issues of the bad batches or because new ones simply weren't available?
I think now is a perfect time to purchase one and maybe, just maybe, if enough of us show there is still a demand for this rich poly analog beast Numark may reconsider their lack of marketing of Andromeda and relaunch this monster and continue producing them for years to come. =D>
Moog Voyager Roland D50 Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Wavestation Emulator II, Emax SE Plus, Korg King Korg, Korg Arp Odyssey(Whiteface), Minibrute, Takamine Acoustic Peavey Falcon electric

Synthaholic
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Motif XS6, TX802, D-550, A6

Re: New Andromedas are here

Post by Synthaholic » Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:35 pm

I think they only do one production run per year.

It would be nice if they would keep making them. I'm sure every batch sells out.

An OS update would be nice too. But I'm not holding my breath.

I would love for Numark/Alesis to release an "Andromeda Lite", or at least a rack version.

But in the meantime, I got a good deal on a used Andy on eBay last month. Had to fix one problem with it but it's been great since. I love it--it definitely satisfies my lust for rich analog fatness. :mrgreen:
Two VCO: thanks to the push rods, one can choose several forms of waves at the same time!
(from a Babelfish translation of a Jupiter-6 site)

Yamaha: Motif XS6, TX802 Roland: D-550 Alesis: A6 Andromeda

pangmaster
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Voyager, PEK, A6, FIZ, Six-Trak, Juno, CZ, and other stuff

Post by pangmaster » Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:24 pm

Synthaholic wrote:I think they only do one production run per year.
I think you might be right and the units begin shipping in late fall. Last winter (Dec/Jan timeframe) a friend of mine finally got his. He had it on backorder since July.
seamonkey wrote:Friday I ordered a new one from Analoguehaven and am exitedly awaiting it's arrival late next week. I'm very happy about my decision even tho it means selling some stuff to help pay for it.
You're gonna love this beast. 8)
"To be human, to be fully human, is to need music and to derive nourishment from the music you hear." - Bob Moog

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:40 pm

must.... save... faster....

need.... andromeda....

or.... xpander....

must ask boss for raise.

yes.
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:59 pm

The Andromeda is so deep it'll make you nuts. It's really a big modular system built into a keyboard synth.
There are so many modulation routings it borders on ridiculous :)

But you don't have to use any of them to make good sounds of course. Can make it perfectly well just using the front panel controls and no menu diving at all, like you would a Jupiter-8 or Oberheim. But the fact that there ARE so many extra details in menus is just a bonus. Not a problem.

The manual is really good too, Alesis did a good job there. They go through every menu item, sometimes bring up examples for you to try, and lots of drawings. I learned alot more than I thought I would just reading through the manual back to back. And for the analog noobs out there, the first chapter is a breakdown of subtractive synthesis and sound theory. Just like the old ARP 2600 and Minimoog manuals used to have.

I think we can wave goodbye to any bugfixes or OS updates, since the entire A6 team has been laid off or moved to other projects..doubt anyone else dares to dive into the DSP code :P

The Tips and Tricks FAQ on
http://www.wohmart.com/a6/

is also worth gold. But best read when you know the synth a bit better.
I didn't need to save much, I bought mine almost on impulse..I used to hang out a lot in a synth store and give advice to his customers about vintage synths etc, so when I was playing with the newly arrived A6, he offered me to pay half in advance now, and pay off the rest in monthly payments with no interest. Because he WANTED me to have that synth..hehe. Well, I did.

seamonkey

Post by seamonkey » Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:32 pm

I don't know, this time the amount shipped seems much larger than in the past. I can remember in the fall of years past none being available and customers who ordered them kept having to wait months. I even remember some of the online retailers listing the Andromeda as "discontinued". Many of the online catalog places are listing them as in stock whereas before only places like NovaMusik, Sweetwater and Analoguehaven had them trickle in so it seems as if something has given way but I'm not sure of the reasons behind this.
If I were a marketing guy for Numark, I'd start handing some of these out to popular groups, get them to endorse the Andromeda, get it out there in the public eye, do some glitzy advertising in industry magazines such as Keyboard.
RELAUNCH THIS BABY!!! With the popularity of Dave Smith's Prophet 08 @$2399.00USD the Andromeda @$2699.00USD, Studio Electronics CODE 8 is $$$$$, so the price for the Andromeda is a bargain. Numark IMO is sitting on a goldmine, especially during this resurgence of analog synthesizers.

synthaholic, I'm glad you like yours and pang, yes, I do believe I will love this beast.
joey.."must buy now..must buy now" :lol:
bitexion..the fact it is a modular system is one of it's selling points for me, I want to use it as such and experiment with it's freaky side :twisted: unfortunately I've had to put up my dot.com modular to help pay the synth god monkeys.
Thank you for the link, I've got some of those links already bookmarked from the wohmart/electro music place.

I'll let you guys...you know who you are....the ones who've been sitting on the fence what my first impressions are. :D
Moog Voyager Roland D50 Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Wavestation Emulator II, Emax SE Plus, Korg King Korg, Korg Arp Odyssey(Whiteface), Minibrute, Takamine Acoustic Peavey Falcon electric

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:20 pm

Yeah that's what the companies used to do in the old days. Give sponsorship instruments to famous artists and have them flaunt the synth on stage so others would want them.

Actually, the guitarist in my last band, received a request from Gibson to use their guitars at a huge discount, even though we'd just released a demo CD so far.

Hossinfeffa
Gear: Roland D-50, MT-32, Korg DSS-1, DDD-1, MS-20, Yamaha FB-01, PSS-560, Akai AX-80, MfB 522, Arturia MiniBrute

Post by Hossinfeffa » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:11 am

Since hearing about this not too long ago I've been considering selling the used Andromeda I bought and buying a new one. The only thing holding me off is I got the A6 for a very nice price and there is only 2 faults in it that are really not critical to myself. I just thought owning a brand new one would be better since I would assume it's under warranty and would last a longer time.

A few months ago I would have swore that they were being discontinued. I called a bunch of places and none had them in stock. Even Alesis said they didn't know if any more would be made and they had not had one in their store for a while. But a month or less ago I discovered Guitar Center now has them for sale on their site again and other places are carrying them now. I agree that Alesis should get this synth out more. I don't think I've seen much of any advertising of it. I heard of Klaus Schulze touring with it and the Ion at one point, but that was a few years back. For how much you get, it could really compete with other analog companies. But then again, I heard pretty much all of the staff that worked on the Andromeda no longer work for Alesis so they cannot really make anything new or for it.
Well fffff.

hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://soundcloud.com/heath-finnie

Post by hfinn » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:17 am

Alesis doesn't even do anything with it. Didn't they sell it to Numark?

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:25 am

What kind of bugs does it have? The synth has always looked like a star gazing chart to me but it sure has power. Any links to good demo's? Audio or Video. I haven't heard any demo's that showed what it could do.
hfinn wrote:Alesis doesn't even do anything with it. Didn't they sell it to Numark?
Numark owns Alesis(they also own Akai).
"*Automatic Gainsay, you ignorant slut." - Primal Drive

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

:happy3:

hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://soundcloud.com/heath-finnie

Post by hfinn » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:23 am

RobotHeroes wrote:What kind of bugs does it have? The synth has always looked like a star gazing chart to me but it sure has power. Any links to good demo's? Audio or Video. I haven't heard any demo's that showed what it could do.
hfinn wrote:Alesis doesn't even do anything with it. Didn't they sell it to Numark?
Numark owns Alesis(they also own Akai).
Ah, thanks for setting me straight on that.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:32 am

There are TONS of audio demos here:

http://www.wohmart.com/a6/

Demos of single patches mostly. Some great playing here and there too. Of course, this is not the way the synth actually sounds, since MP3 format doesn't do justice to an analogue monster synth. But there you go. Can't have everything. Can also find quite alot of vids on youtube searching for Alesis Andromeda.

It might look frightening, but the front panel is really just "one knob per function". Here's a quick breakdown.
Furthest to the left (in the black section) you have the keyboard controls, where you set key trigger modes (legato/normal etc) VCO unison (2-16 voices, scary), how much pitch bend you want, portamento time and the sequencer/arpeggiator controls (top).

Then you have the 4 LFO's with their own knobs for speed and waveform selection.
Then 2 VCO, each with 4 knobs around them to control fine/cents tuning, pitch eg modulation. And the little buttons are the inputs on the module, like a modular synth, you can route any parameter to modulate various things like VCO pitch.

Further right you got the VCO mixer section, also containing 2 suboscillators, noise amount (and colour) and a ringmod level knob.
Jumping over the LCD screen, you got the 2 filters with their surrounding knobs like resonance, eg amount, and the CV inputs. Then there's the post-filter mixer, with separate outputs for LP/HP/BP on filter 1 (12db multimode), and LP level for filter 2 (24dB moog), plus mixing in unfiltered vco sine waves/ringmod sound. Then there's 3 envelope generators with a knob for each stage. And the output section at last where you set you pan levels, main output volume etc.

Whenever you turn a knob or push a button, the LCD jumps to the correct menu screen so you instantly see what you're tweaking and what value it has. The 8 little knobs below the LCD are to adjust the parameters that appear in the LCD.
The LCD is big enough to show graphical envelopes in realtime as you tweak the times and levels, very helpful.
There is also a small "view" button on each major module that lets you see all the current knob settings on the chosen module on the screen.

The long row of buttons above the keyboard are patch selection, and the keyboard long ribbon controller that can be assigned to ANY parameter on the entire synth. Not just VCO pitch like CS-80 could, can also have several routings at once, like both filter cutoff and LFO speed+resonance as you move your finger. Great for playing theremin on too.

The synth also has a perfectly fine effects section with digital effects like various delay types, lots of reverbs, and other things. And an analog transistor distortion unit that sounds wonderfully nasty.

Soundwave

Post by Soundwave » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:21 pm

From demos the Prophet 08 sounds nice and juicy but although more impressive feature wise I've still yet to hear anything to bowl me over from an Andromeda. :?

Synthaholic
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Motif XS6, TX802, D-550, A6

Post by Synthaholic » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:07 pm

Soundwave wrote:From demos the Prophet 08 sounds nice and juicy but although more impressive feature wise I've still yet to hear anything to bowl me over from an Andromeda. :?
The presets don't do the Andy justice. You have to fondle those knobs yourself to see what it's really capable of.

Turning the background tuning off can help make it more organic/analog sounding too.
Two VCO: thanks to the push rods, one can choose several forms of waves at the same time!
(from a Babelfish translation of a Jupiter-6 site)

Yamaha: Motif XS6, TX802 Roland: D-550 Alesis: A6 Andromeda

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:23 pm

Hossinfeffa wrote:Since hearing about this not too long ago I've been considering selling the used Andromeda I bought and buying a new one. The only thing holding me off is I got the A6 for a very nice price and there is only 2 faults in it that are really not critical to myself. I just thought owning a brand new one would be better since I would assume it's under warranty and would last a longer time.
When did you get your current one? what are the problems with it? do you think those faults will have been recitifed in the new version?
That's what I'm most curious about-if there's been any changes to these compared to the last batch.

Is it generally assumed that this (and the last) batches are pretty stable (or as stable as possible)? I have never found a definitive answer to what versions were more faulty than others... I know there was some faulty Taiwan batch or something, and other batches have had various issues at times, but without knowing the serial numbers, how are you supposed to know? There's too much hearsay, and no definite answers on these which is frustrating...

anyways, I'm really tempted again-I figure "new" is as good as you're going to get... If the prices drop down to 2k or so, like old models, I think it will be mine.
Do you even post on vse bro?