New Andromedas are here

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Re: New Andromedas are here

Post by Bitexion » Mon May 11, 2009 5:38 pm

Well, I see it as a modular simply because every main module has 3 cv inputs, just like a modular synth. These inputs can be modulated by 73 different parameters. Like say you want the pitch on VCO1 to change with aftertouch, hook up aftertouch to VCO1 pitch, set the mod level and there you go. And you still have 2 more slots to hook stuff up to.
73 parameters is ALOT, and there's loads of weird control things you'd not even think of.

More or less anything can be modulated by anything else.

seamonkey

Post by seamonkey » Tue May 12, 2009 1:43 pm

Naive Teen Idol wrote:I've been thinking about buying a Dotcom modular system for a while -- obsessed with tactile control and thinking about about getting away from keyboard control.
Of course the Dot.com and the A6 are two different animals. I had a dot.com modular(short the 3rd Osc)and I loved it's traditional moog modular type analog sound but I longed for a poly analog synth, so I sold the dot.com to fund a new A6.
I also love the sound of the A6 and if you've really liked the demos then you'll really love the A6 once you can hear it live. There are very few demos I've heard that really showcase it's sound. As Bitexion commented, there are so many modulation options, add to the mix the ribbon controller(using it creatively it's possible, at least in my opinion to get strange modular type sounds by programming the ribbon controller and bounce your fingertips along it, good for bubbling, squealing, wind, etc. The ribbon controller also has a hold function which allows you to maintain the last setting you touched on it.

I see the A6 as an investment, you can always sell it after using it and find it really isn't your thing and then buy a modular if that's what you want.
Moog Voyager Roland D50 Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Wavestation Emulator II, Emax SE Plus, Korg King Korg, Korg Arp Odyssey(Whiteface), Minibrute, Takamine Acoustic Peavey Falcon electric

Villi
Gear: Yamaha RS7000 & DX200, Quasimidi Sirius, Casio CZ5000

Post by Villi » Tue May 12, 2009 3:06 pm

Does the ribbon controller often fail? I haven't looekd lately, but when I looked at used listings, I noticed many seemed to have non-functional ribbon controllers.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Tue May 12, 2009 4:26 pm

My ribbon works like a charm still, and I've used it heavily. It's a plastic strip, not the felt strip found on the Yamaha CS-80 that would be worn down. I use it for anything from pitchbends to increasing LFO speed (great for hammond patches), to filter cutoff or resonance. The ingenious thing is it can do lots of things at the same time.

masyst
Gear: 5 gears + reverse

Post by masyst » Tue May 12, 2009 5:40 pm

Nice to hear it's still in sale...
I want to own an Andromeda, but simply don't have the money right now.
Thought I had to buy one second hand when I get money, but since it's still for sale I might be able to pick up a new one when i start my apprentice period.

I think that the Andromeda must be the ultimate polysynth, or at least the ultimate modern polysynth...
A synthesizer will be for you what you want it to be...

Analogue Crazy
Gear: Alesis Andromeda
Korg MS20 Mini
Korg Micro Preset
Korg DS-8
Yamaha Motif 7
Yamaha DX11

Post by Analogue Crazy » Tue May 12, 2009 11:17 pm

Yeah it's great that they are producing this monster again. The world needs a big, fat and modern VCO Polysynth and this is certainly the ultimate one, as far as sound and synthesis capabillaties are concerned. I love mine so much it's my only Analogue Synth, i even sold my old Jupiter-4 because of the A6's awsome thick sound combined with its endless synthesis possabillities. Tut tut, and im called Analogue Crazy!n :wink:

Hehe just noticed i look a little Phil Oakey like in my new avatar! :lol:
A6 Andromeda, MS20 Mini, M500SP, DS-8, Motif 7, DX11,

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Tue May 12, 2009 11:36 pm

Well there's always the lure of modular synthesis no matter what. I had to have one of those aswell :P
The GAS never stops. A friend sincerely asked me "Is that modular synth gonna be better than the Andromeda? It costs MORE and has just one voice!". Tough question to answer. But the work process on a modular is still so completely different from just turning the knobs on a prerouted synth, it's not comparable. You try out alot more crazy stuff with a modular synth since you can just patch a cable from here to there and see what happens.

This illustrates it perfectly: (except that I didn't sell the A6 to fund it)

I did however make the most awesome SFX sound on the A6 while cleaning around the knobs while it was on. Pressed a key and thought WOWWWW *instant store sound*. That's something I can't do on my modular.

Naive Teen Idol
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Roland Jupiter 6, Studio Electronics MIDIMini, DSI Evolver, Linn LM-2 Linndrum, Roland TR-77, Roland GR-300, Novation Remote SL 25

Post by Naive Teen Idol » Tue May 12, 2009 11:49 pm

...which is precisely why I've been thinking about whether I should do an A6 or a Dotcom system. This is a very tough call for me in a lot of ways. What I want to do is get away from some of the same-old, same-old that's hampered me with softsynths. And part of me thinks the idea of being able to have 16 discrete analog monosynths at once will do the trick.

But I just don't know.

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Wed May 13, 2009 12:03 am

Off topic: AC You look just like robert marlow
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

Shreddie
Gear: Alesis Andromeda, Fusion 8HD: ART SGX Nightbass SE: Kawai K5000s: Yamaha A3000 V2, EX7, FS1R, PSS-480 (Don't laugh, it rocks!) and 4 planks.

Post by Shreddie » Wed May 13, 2009 12:18 am

Naive Teen Idol wrote:...which is precisely why I've been thinking about whether I should do an A6 or a Dotcom system. This is a very tough call for me in a lot of ways.
Buy both?!

I would if I could but it won't be for a long time.

I'm not a particular fan of soft synths either... Not any more.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Wed May 13, 2009 12:36 am

Soft synths is kind of meh for me. I used to download hundreds of the things, mostly pirated copies, but I'd never use them for anything or learn how to program any, just browse through the endless amounts of presets and never get anything done. I like the restrictions a hardware synth gives you, that you need to learn to program it within its boundaries. So much more productive.

Shreddie
Gear: Alesis Andromeda, Fusion 8HD: ART SGX Nightbass SE: Kawai K5000s: Yamaha A3000 V2, EX7, FS1R, PSS-480 (Don't laugh, it rocks!) and 4 planks.

Post by Shreddie » Wed May 13, 2009 1:07 am

I guess I'm kinda similar to you Bitexion. Like you, I love the limitations.

Many (10+) years ago, I had a few cracks and used software off magazine cover CDs, they were OK at the time I guess but about 3 years ago when I got back into music I bought a PC and loaded it with (paid for) soft synths only to find myself frustrated with them. I still use Emulator X alot but only really for sampling/sample editing duties and I still use Miroslav Philharmonik quite a bit but other than that, I'm pretty much all hardware now... As far as sound sources go at least.

Probably the biggest thing for me is the interface of a synth. For years I'd been used to parameter access or menu driven digital synths. Nothing had really prepared me for when I got my Andromeda late last year... All those knobs and buttons make it a dream to use. I still use my other synths, especially my EX7 (which I know like the back of my hand) and my Fusion (for sample based stuff and pads) but when I'm using those, I'm constantly thinking about using my Andromeda simply because it's such a joy to tweak.

And as for people who say "what's the point in hardware anymore? Surely you can do it all in software now." In my experience, the people who mostly say that are either preset merchants (which software is fine for) or people who have never spent much time with a synth that has a well designed, knobby UI. That hardware interface is well worth splashing the cash on if you're a tweaker!

Also, now that my hardware list has grown a bit, I seem to be loosing my GAS to some degree. There's a select handful of synths I'd like to add to my gear pile but I don't really need them when I can get almost every sound imaginable out of what I already have. Back when I was using software, I always wanted everything else on the market! It never satyisfied me.

Pighood

Post by Pighood » Wed May 13, 2009 5:35 pm

Shreddie wrote:
Also, now that my hardware list has grown a bit, I seem to be loosing my GAS to some degree. There's a select handful of synths I'd like to add to my gear pile but I don't really need them when I can get almost every sound imaginable out of what I already have. Back when I was using software, I always wanted everything else on the market! It never satyisfied me.
Gotta agree...haven't bought a hardware synth in 3 years. Had GAS for the Solaris, but it's been peptobismol'd by circumstance and the ever-present reminder that once GAS is indulged, one's music doesn't take a quantum leap forward.
Triton Pro * V-Synth * Q * Andromeda * Fizmo * MEK * Virus TI * A-100 * X-Station

elmacaco

Post by elmacaco » Wed May 13, 2009 7:38 pm

My Andromeda killed my gas for the most part.

Shreddie

Post by Shreddie » Wed May 13, 2009 8:49 pm

Pighood wrote:Gotta agree...haven't bought a hardware synth in 3 years. Had GAS for the Solaris, but it's been peptobismol'd by circumstance and the ever-present reminder that once GAS is indulged, one's music doesn't take a quantum leap forward.
Well, it's the law of diminishing returns isn't it. If, for example, you take a decent workstation synth... It gives you access to a massive variety of sounds. In the case of many of those kinds of synths, there no reason why you couldn't produce an entire album on one. But given the inevitable overlap between different synths, the next synth you buy will only add a bit to the amount of sounds you can play with, the next will add even less and so on... So there comes a point where the actual return you get from any new synths you add to your set up is very small indeed.

That's just me though, everyone's different.
elmacaco wrote:My Andromeda killed my gas for the most part.
You know, I think that's what happened with me!