New Andromedas are here

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Pighood

Re: New Andromedas are here

Post by Pighood » Thu May 14, 2009 5:38 am

Shreddie wrote:
Well, it's the law of diminishing returns isn't it. If, for example, you take a decent workstation synth... It gives you access to a massive variety of sounds. In the case of many of those kinds of synths, there no reason why you couldn't produce an entire album on one. But given the inevitable overlap between different synths, the next synth you buy will only add a bit to the amount of sounds you can play with, the next will add even less and so on... So there comes a point where the actual return you get from any new synths you add to your set up is very small indeed.
In my case (see my sig) I have 2 workstations...one actual, and one VA. The huge numbers of sounds are one aspect, but the availability of sick noises from my plethora of softies means that the next hardware synth I get will just be a replacement of one of mine that will eventually die.

I actually enjoy "window-shopping" on Ebay, but I'm happy to report I have enough will-power (in this are of my life) to NOT pull the trigger on that $350 DX7IIFD or that $1100 XTk (sniff).
Triton Pro * V-Synth * Q * Andromeda * Fizmo * MEK * Virus TI * A-100 * X-Station

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Thu May 14, 2009 11:14 am

I'd say grab an Andromeda before they disappear from the market and become as elusive as Memorymoogs.

seamonkey

Post by seamonkey » Thu May 14, 2009 3:43 pm

Well it appears Alesis is going to re-release the ION, so someone at Numark realizes there is still a market for synthesizers. =D>
This is a good sign for the continuation of production of a limited amount of new Andromeda's, at least that's my viewpoint on this latest announcement.

Here's a link of an online store taking preorders.
https://www.keyboardsusa.com/ALESIS-ION-KEYBOARD.asp
Moog Voyager Roland D50 Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Wavestation Emulator II, Emax SE Plus, Korg King Korg, Korg Arp Odyssey(Whiteface), Minibrute, Takamine Acoustic Peavey Falcon electric

Shreddie
Gear: Alesis Andromeda, Fusion 8HD: ART SGX Nightbass SE: Kawai K5000s: Yamaha A3000 V2, EX7, FS1R, PSS-480 (Don't laugh, it rocks!) and 4 planks.

Post by Shreddie » Thu May 14, 2009 7:24 pm

Pighood wrote:In my case (see my sig) I have 2 workstations...one actual, and one VA. The huge numbers of sounds are one aspect, but the availability of sick noises from my plethora of softies means that the next hardware synth I get will just be a replacement of one of mine that will eventually die.
I'm kinda simlar in that I have two workstations. The Fusion and the EX7 are similar in concept even if their synthesis engines are very different. Then of course, I have all those other lovely toys! All of which are more than suited to making sick noises!

My choices are no mistake though. For my music, I'd be perfectly happy with just one of those synths. But I'm a synthesist who loves to learn about all the different kinds of synthesis available so I've selected them very carefuly indeed, trying to choose (what I see) as the best representation of each kind of synthesis. The Andromeda is (arguably) the best/most powerful true analogue ever made. The same goes for the FS1R for FM (although it's a $h!t to program). The K5000s is the best (IMO) of the additive synths thanks to it's knobs. The Fusion and the EX7 are kinda one stop shops. The Fusion has a great S+S engine thanks to being able to load it's sounds off the HD and it's FM implementation is incredibly flexible. It's VA isn't the best sounding but it's very flexible and has character, the physical modelling is a bit pants though. Then of course theres the mod matrix on the Fusion which is amazing. The EX7 has a superb S+S engine which was actually dumbed down for the later Motif and Motif ES, then you can further extend the S+S engine with it's FDSP (which is great fun). It's VA may only be monophonic but it's bloody fantastic. I wish I'd have got the more powerful EX5 instead though. I only got the A3000 for the SCSI interface which is now in my EX7 but it's still a pretty nifty effects unit in it's own right so the aux outputs from the Andromeda are plugged into it almost permanently... As for the PSS-480, that was my first synth, I've had it for almost 20 years and still use it. (Why isn't it in the VSE BTW?! The PSS x80 series are great little FM synths! Queen and Depeche Mode have used them I believe!)
I actually enjoy "window-shopping" on Ebay, but I'm happy to report I have enough will-power (in this are of my life) to NOT pull the trigger on that $350 DX7IIFD or that $1100 XTk (sniff).
I do alot of that too! But I will be adding to my collection in the future as I have a few holes as far as synthesis types go. I'd like a decent physical modelling synth and I'd love a decent wavetable synth (the Solaris perhaps?! :mrgreen: ). I wouldn't mind trying out one of the phase distortion synths too. I have other financial priorites at the moment though so synths will have to wait for the time being.
Bitexion wrote:I'd say grab an Andromeda before they disappear from the market and become as elusive as Memorymoogs.
I think you're preaching to the perverted converted here! It seems that almost everyone here has an Andromeda!

tyrannosaurus mark

Post by tyrannosaurus mark » Fri May 15, 2009 1:42 am

Not I, I really dislike the way they look and for me a hardware synth needs to be a pleasure to look at and touch
Moog LP + Casio SK1 and MT-75 + tube amp = good tone.

felis

Post by felis » Fri May 15, 2009 1:59 am

Even though I've got an A6 and it's one of my favorite synths, threads like this always make me want to get another one,

Rusty O'Hara

Post by Rusty O'Hara » Sat May 16, 2009 12:56 am

felis wrote:Even though I've got an A6 and it's one of my favorite synths, threads like this always make me want to get another one,
x2. If I find another one locally at a reasonable price, I'd probably grab it.

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Sat May 16, 2009 2:19 am

I just keep seeing the Red One right next to the Blue One...oh the dream.
The ION's a pretty good deal for only $599.
Wonder if the Fusion could return...
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

Shreddie
Gear: Alesis Andromeda, Fusion 8HD: ART SGX Nightbass SE: Kawai K5000s: Yamaha A3000 V2, EX7, FS1R, PSS-480 (Don't laugh, it rocks!) and 4 planks.

Post by Shreddie » Sat May 16, 2009 4:58 am

griffin avid wrote:Wonder if the Fusion could return...
I can tell you for a fact that the answer to that is no.

Well, not for the foreseeable future anyway.

I'm actually surprised that Alesis are re-releasing the Ion after what happened with the Fusion. However, the Ion is a good product which may help bring in a few more pennies for the Numark group during these troubled financial times. The same applies to the release of the Miniak (rebadged Micron more or less).

However, the Fusion was a huge development project which yielded some useful technology for Alesis/Akai/Numark. Some of that has already been spun off into the MPC5000. I don't know for certain but I wouldn't be surprised if we saw further spin-offs in the coming years.