So I bought a Jupiter 8 earlier this year....

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
blueknob
Gear: ESi32/E6400U, Novation Supernova, Ensoniq, vintage Macs and the like.

Re: So I bought a Jupiter 8 earlier this year....

Post by blueknob » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:53 am

A suggestion, how about comparing your real J8 with a virtual one?? Arturia have a free Jupiter-8V, how realistic it sounds is another matter but I would guess the functions are correct.

44deluxe

Post by 44deluxe » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:19 am

Synthaholic wrote:There's no way to keep the LFO lights off (the LFO is constantly cycling), but with the modulation sliders/switches turned down/off, the LFO shouldn't have any effect on the filter cutoff.
THAT'S good to know!

Thanks everyone, I've managed to get the sudden jumps to stop by using the LFO in the VCF section.

I'm sorry to say that my knowledge of how synths work is extremely basic, I bought the Jupiter because I heard it was one gigantic "sweet spot". :lol: Oh and I had a nice royalty cheque.... :D

I'm going to have a mess around today and as a thank you I will post some pics and some clips.

Cheers guys.
http://www.myspace.com/deluxerecordings

MkII Rhodes, EP200a, Solina, XK-1, Jupiter 8, Juno 60, XV-5080, JD-990, MKS-70, AN1x, DX7, FS1R, TG77, Proteus 2000, SVC-350

justinvm

Post by justinvm » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:03 pm

I was actually comparing the jupiter 8 to Arturia's Jupiter 8V today. Running them simultaneously through the same audio interface and monitors. To my surprise the oscillators and filters sound identical. At no point could I differentiate between the two. It's the overboard effects they add in the demo patches which detract from the authenticity of the sound.

Synthaholic
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Motif XS6, TX802, D-550, A6

Post by Synthaholic » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:22 pm

44deluxe wrote:Thanks everyone, I've managed to get the sudden jumps to stop by using the LFO in the VCF section.

I'm sorry to say that my knowledge of how synths work is extremely basic, I bought the Jupiter because I heard it was one gigantic "sweet spot". :lol: Oh and I had a nice royalty cheque.... :D
Nice! You have one of the most sought-after analog polysynths out there. Time to start learning what all those switches and sliders do. :)

You know, the Juno 60 you have has a lot of the same features (only simpler/fewer of them), such as that same LFO-VCF slider, so if you find the Jupiter daunting at first, familiarize yourself with basic synthesis concepts on the Juno first. With one envelope, one oscillator, and fewer options, it'll be easier to grasp the basics before you dive into the Jupe's extensive panel.
Two VCO: thanks to the push rods, one can choose several forms of waves at the same time!
(from a Babelfish translation of a Jupiter-6 site)

Yamaha: Motif XS6, TX802 Roland: D-550 Alesis: A6 Andromeda

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:24 pm

justinvm wrote:I was actually comparing the jupiter 8 to Arturia's Jupiter 8V today. Running them simultaneously through the same audio interface and monitors. To my surprise the oscillators and filters sound identical. At no point could I differentiate between the two. It's the overboard effects they add in the demo patches which detract from the authenticity of the sound.
Right, and Sonic Project OPX sounds just like an OBX, but not really. Without getting into the dead horsey that is the analog vs. digital debate, I must say I did the JP8/AJP8V comparison too, and the real deal is an order of magnitude punchier, the oscillators drift a bit, the VCF is warmer,(think mid-range warmth) and is not so clean-sounding overall. I think part of it is the noise in the signal path, due to the unit's age. I just wish I could get some decent headroom out of it. It's much too dynamic to compress it to death.

Also worth mentioning is the interface, which is half the fun. I don't even use patches these days with my Jupe. It's all manual mode for me.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

justinvm

Post by justinvm » Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:06 am

Solderman wrote: but not really.
Yeah I totally agree, it's just an emulation.

JJQ

Post by JJQ » Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:26 pm

I also compared them and I didnt find them to similar. The resonance was very diferent etc.
Gear: Minimoog, Mother-32, Roland MC-202, TB-303, (Boss) DR-110, TR-505, TR-808, Alpha Juno 2, Jupiter-8, Oberheim SEM, .com/oakley/moon/mos-lab/STG/Sputnik/MegaOhm-modular & Microbrute

Leeroy Jenkins

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:40 am

Jupiter-8 is nice, but its no fat b***h of an analog like an OBXa.

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:02 am

Leeroy Jenkins wrote:Jupiter-8 is nice, but its no fat b***h of an analog like an OBXa.
Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks. Myself, in a polysynth, I much prefer sultry, silky, sexy to fat b***h. Much better for the mix and my own personal taste. Maybe one day I'll have a change of heart and get a Korg Mono/Poly, then keep it permanently in unison mode. :)
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.