Keyboards and synthesizers in Progressive Rock

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Prophet-5, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50, JV-1080
Band: ArtWithHeart

Re: Keyboards and synthesizers in Progressive Rock

Post by iProg » Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:52 am

Mark Kelly is one of my top three, no doubt about it :D

I've learned most of the Fish-era stuff, the rest is less interesting keyboardwise. But as you said, he's very tasteful!

Clavier
Gear: A distraction.
Band: Rhode Out West

Post by Clavier » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:13 am

Rick Wakemans work is solely responsible for my desire to play keys. I went out and bought a Hammond organ three weeks after I first heard the song, "Close To The Edge", and I never looked back.

Many of my faves have already been mentioned, so I'll give a vote to Rick Van Der Linden (solo), Ekseption, Trace, and Focus.

There's a lot of great Japanese prog bands these days. . .
Last edited by Clavier on Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hammond RT-2, Hammond M3, Hammond L-102, Rhodes mk1 suitcase 88, Sequential Circuits Prophet-5, Yamaha TX-802, Fender Twin Reverb, Leslie 45

Clavier
Gear: A distraction.
Band: Rhode Out West

Post by Clavier » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:28 am

Anyone on here like Zappa or Gentle Giant?

Van Der Graaf Generator is another interesting one that is often overlooked.
Last edited by Clavier on Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hammond RT-2, Hammond M3, Hammond L-102, Rhodes mk1 suitcase 88, Sequential Circuits Prophet-5, Yamaha TX-802, Fender Twin Reverb, Leslie 45

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:49 am

Japanese are usually great at anything they do because of their work ethics they've been taught since kindergarten.

iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by iProg » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:40 am

Clavier wrote:Anyone on here like Zappa or Gentle Giant?

Van Der Graaf Generator is another interesting one that is often overlooked.
Gentle Giant is one of the best bands in the art rock movement, together with Van Der Graaf Generator and King Crimson. Incredible musicians and recording skill, considering what devices were on the market back then.

Acquiring the taste is one of the best albums in the genre.

For VdGG, I prefer Pawn Hearts and Godbluff. Lemmings is a masterpiece. Good use of Hammond on those albums!

aXL
Gear: Moog LP Stage II, Ensoniq ESQ-1, Nord Electro 3, Roland JP-8080, Akai SynthStation 49, numerous softies...
Band: Nemesis Kane

Post by aXL » Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:17 pm

Among my favourite bands in the wide, weird and warped-out world of prog I count Saga, Marillion (Fish era), Alan Parsons Project, Pink Floyd and Rush.

Boasting no less than three members on keys, Saga is pure synth eye-candy. Jim Gilmour's rig during the "Silent Knight/Worlds Apart"-era comes to mind. CS80, Minimoog, Polymoog, VP-330 (I think) and Rhodes. And when they upgraded, there must have been 6 Memorymoogs in the band!

I don't really think I can add anything to what's been said about Mark Kelly, except that my dream rig would be Kelly's from the Misplaced Childhood-era. Perfect.

The amount of classy keyboard work in APP is staggering. Divided among Eric Woolfson, Duncan Mackay, Richard Cottle and Alan Parsons himself, there are a lot of treats in that catalogue. Anything Projectron, especially. =P~
Sir Nose wrote:It's like sex with or without a condom. You know which choice is gonna feel better, but it's not always a wise choice.
Disciples of the new wave, portaits in the sand...

iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by iProg » Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:40 pm

aXL wrote:I don't really think I can add anything to what's been said about Mark Kelly, except that my dream rig would be Kelly's from the Misplaced Childhood-era. Perfect.
That is indeed a great setup. If you have seen the DVD from the "Live from Loreley" show in Germany during the Clutching At Straws tour in 1987, that rig includes Minimoog, Pro-One, PPG Wave 2.3, Jupiter-8, MKS-100 electric piano, DX-7 and more!

j fish

Post by j fish » Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:34 pm

iProg wrote: That is indeed a great setup. If you have seen the DVD from the "Live from Loreley" show in Germany during the Clutching At Straws tour in 1987, that rig includes Minimoog, Pro-One, PPG Wave 2.3, Jupiter-8, MKS-100 electric piano, DX-7 and more!
Yup, Kelly's setup from the mid 80's was pretty awesome.
In addition to the ones mentioned by iProg, he also had an Emulator (I or II, I don't remember), Yamaha DX7, Yamaha CS15 (Script-era), Roland Juno 60 (To be replaced later by a Juno 106) and a Korg CX3 organ if memory serves me.

Too bad he got rid of the Mellotron M400 from the really early days although it's totally understandable.
Those babies are moody f***kers :wink: ....not to mention, heavy.
He did use the Emulator for Mellotron-samples though.
Yamaha EX7/Roland RS50/Emu Vintage K/Emu Proteus 2K/Minimonstra/Oddity/MTron/ImpOSCar/MinimoogV/ARP2600V/ModularV/CS80V/B4II/FM7/FM8/Absynth/Pro53/Akoustik Piano/LoungeLizard/Korg Legacy Col/Waldorf PPG/Novation V-St/RP Blue/RP Albino

iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by iProg » Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:53 pm

j fish wrote:
iProg wrote: That is indeed a great setup. If you have seen the DVD from the "Live from Loreley" show in Germany during the Clutching At Straws tour in 1987, that rig includes Minimoog, Pro-One, PPG Wave 2.3, Jupiter-8, MKS-100 electric piano, DX-7 and more!
Yup, Kelly's setup from the mid 80's was pretty awesome.
In addition to the ones mentioned by iProg, he also had an Emulator (I or II, I don't remember), Yamaha DX7, Yamaha CS15 (Script-era), Roland Juno 60 (To be replaced later by a Juno 106) and a Korg CX3 organ if memory serves me.

Too bad he got rid of the Mellotron M400 from the really early days although it's totally understandable.
Those babies are moody f***kers :wink: ....not to mention, heavy.
He did use the Emulator for Mellotron-samples though.
The Emulator he used on Clutching At Straws does include some fairlight vox samples and mellotron choirs.

But I think that he had the Mellotron on that tour, with the PPG Wave and Minimoog on top.

The Juno-60 was used on "Garden Party", correct me if I'm wrong. The 106 appears on "..Loreley" as an obvious back-up keyboard. The organ is CX-3.

j fish

Post by j fish » Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:01 pm

iProg wrote: But I think that he had the Mellotron on that tour, with the PPG Wave and Minimoog on top.
I have to check the Loreley-DVD but I don't think he had the Mellotron then.
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that he sold it before the first tour already (to the keyboard player of Pallas IIRC).
I'll check.
Yamaha EX7/Roland RS50/Emu Vintage K/Emu Proteus 2K/Minimonstra/Oddity/MTron/ImpOSCar/MinimoogV/ARP2600V/ModularV/CS80V/B4II/FM7/FM8/Absynth/Pro53/Akoustik Piano/LoungeLizard/Korg Legacy Col/Waldorf PPG/Novation V-St/RP Blue/RP Albino

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:04 pm

The Emulator was the original one and the PPG was a Wave 2.2 (not 2.3). Kelly was additionally using a Yamaha GS-1 on "Fugazi" but I don't think it was his synth.

Micke
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:09 pm

iProg wrote:
The Juno-60 was used on "Garden Party", correct me if I'm wrong. The 106 appears on "..Loreley" as an obvious back-up keyboard. The organ is CX-3.
No, he didn't use a Juno 60 until Misplaced Childhood (1985). It was MIDIed to his DX-7 on that album and subsequent tour.
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by iProg » Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:11 pm

Micke wrote:The Emulator was the original one and the PPG was a Wave 2.2 (not 2.3). Kelly was additionally using a Yamaha GS-1 on "Fugazi" but I don't think it was his synth.

Micke
Where on Fugazi? :o :D

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:20 pm

I don't know where it features on the Fugazi album but it's listed in the CD liner notes:

Credits:

Fish: VOICE
Steve Rothery: GUITARS Yamaha SG2000, Gibson Les Paul Standard, Roland GR300/505 guitar synth, Fender Stratocaster, Ovation Acoustic, Roland JC 120 Combo, Mesa Boogie, Roland 501 chorus/echo, Boss effects pedals

Mark Kelly: KEYBOARDS Bosendorfer grand piano, PPG Wave 2.2, Roland Jupiter 8, MiniMOOG, Emulator, Yamaha DX7, Yamaha GS1, Korg CX3, Church organ (recorded at Angel Studios London)

Pete Trewavas: BASS Aria and Fender bassess, Trace Elliott and Peavey amplification

Ian Mosley: DRUMS Yamaha drums, Zildjian cymbals, Simmons drums

Backing vocal on Incubus : Linda Pyke
Additional Percussion: Chris Karen.

Recorded Nov-Dec 1983, Jan-Feb 1984.
Manor Studio, Sarm East, Eel Pie and Maison Rouge Studio.

seamonkey

Post by seamonkey » Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:49 pm

Analogue Crazy wrote: I really admire Tony Bank's use of the Wavestation. Just listen to these pads and the solo towards the end:

90's:
Korg Wavestation
Roland JD-800

Of course, there's much more. These are just some key synths.
I think Tony Banks style of playing influenced more Genesis offshoot prog bands than any other player including Emerson and Wakeman. Bands like early Marillion, IQ, etc and many of the neo-prog bands of today.
He's a master at melodic lead lines and haunting beautiful pads..the man deserves a special award in the Synthesist Hall of Fame. :)

He also used an Ensoniq VFX-SD quite a bit on the We Can't Dance cd, not sure about Calling All Stations although I definitely hear his Wavestation on some songs.
I was surprised when we saw them last October here in Michigan he still was playing the Wavestation on stage even tho he had a Korg Oaysis with him.
I had read an article he was going to take a couple of Receptor Muse's on tour loaded with samples but for some reason settled on the Oaysis.
Moog Voyager Roland D50 Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Wavestation Emulator II, Emax SE Plus, Korg King Korg, Korg Arp Odyssey(Whiteface), Minibrute, Takamine Acoustic Peavey Falcon electric