oddball synths

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Analogue Crazy
Gear: Alesis Andromeda
Korg MS20 Mini
Korg Micro Preset
Korg DS-8
Yamaha Motif 7
Yamaha DX11

oddball synths

Post by Analogue Crazy » Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:35 pm

what i mean is synths that were noticably different from what you'd expect from a manufacturer.

for moog its gota be the Satellite:
it has a filter unlike any other moog, a 2 pole lowpass and a bandpass.

For Roland it could be the JX-3P:
It looks unlike anyother Roland instrument and has a distinctive slightly metallic sound.

So what do you think are the oddballs and what experience have you had with them?
I really liked my JX-3P, its the Roland instrument i miss the most.
A6 Andromeda, MS20 Mini, M500SP, DS-8, Motif 7, DX11,

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Re: oddball synths

Post by OriginalJambo » Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:41 pm

For Roland I'd say the JD-800 if you take into account when it was released - great idea that just never took off, probably because it was way ahead of its time. I mean how many other subtractive ROMplers do you see with that many controls?

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:15 pm

nice thread

a pity i cant think of anything right now ;)

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:58 pm

Dont think Jx-3P was that odd, rather a logical continuation from Juno series, adding another DCO per voice on the existing arhitecture (and osc sync, cross mod etc. ). most hardware building blocks, chips etc were the same or similar as in Juno6/60/106. and it was quite popular bk then.

looking at the time of release, during absolute heyday of classic mono and poly synths, id say a limited sequenced bassline thingie like 303 was a huge oddball for Roland. in concept, as well as in limited synthesis functions. it shoved in original sales being low, and Roland dropped it rather quik.

Korg DSS-1.. 12bit sampling/extensive synthesis/waveform drawing , plus analog filtering.. wow .. unfortunately they never ventured in this direction again.

Eminent String Synthesizer. solina strings paired with a sml monophonic synth. xtremely rare, very few made.

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

Analogue Crazy
Korg MS20 Mini
Korg Micro Preset
Korg DS-8
Yamaha Motif 7
Yamaha DX11

Post by Analogue Crazy » Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:54 pm

Yeah the DSS-1 was an amazing one-off from Korg, a real shame it never really caught on. The 707 and DS-8 were a pair of one-off's too from Korg that never took off. I think it was thiere only venture into FM synthesis.

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:37 pm

The Yamaha CX5M, which couldn't decide if it was a personal computer or a synthesizer. (And it didn't do either one very well. :? )
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

Christopher Winkels
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Christopher Winkels » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:46 pm

Oberheim DPX-1 sample player. A nice idea (play everyone's sample libraries from one unit) that never caught on. I stumbled across one online a few weeks back; I'd forgotten completely about it in the last two decades.

Analogue Crazy
Korg MS20 Mini
Korg Micro Preset
Korg DS-8
Yamaha Motif 7
Yamaha DX11

Post by Analogue Crazy » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:47 pm

I suppose you could say the Andromeda is an oddball comming from Alesis. They are'nt associated with analogue synths and it was thier first venture (and thier only one) into true analogue synthesis.Its like casio comming out with a Matrix-12. :lol:

And the SH-5 is certainly a Roland oddball in that it has a 12bd multimode filter instead of the usual 24bd lowpass. That maes the Jupiter-6 a bit of one too because it's Roland's only analogue poly with a multimode filter.

Syn303
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Quite a bit...
Band: Syn303

Post by Syn303 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:54 pm

The Yamaha CS-70M perhaps, because it used magnetic data cards
for patch storage (2 patches per card), also had aftertouch and a
primitive sequencer.

| syn303.bandcamp.com | soundcloud.com/syn303 |

JJQ

Post by JJQ » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:21 pm

How about the Technics SY-1010.

A analogue mono from Technics :roll: :?:
Gear: Minimoog, Mother-32, Roland MC-202, TB-303, (Boss) DR-110, TR-505, TR-808, Alpha Juno 2, Jupiter-8, Oberheim SEM, .com/oakley/moon/mos-lab/STG/Sputnik/MegaOhm-modular & Microbrute

aXL
Gear: Moog LP Stage II, Ensoniq ESQ-1, Nord Electro 3, Roland JP-8080, Akai SynthStation 49, numerous softies...
Band: Nemesis Kane

Post by aXL » Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:02 pm

The CS70M reminds me of Yamaha's biggest oddball: the GS1. The classy big brother of the DX7, the first proper FM synthesis-based synth (at least from Yamaha, if not the first period) and looking like some of their home pianos do now, appearance-wise. On the other hand, it subverts the oddball trope in that the synthesis method carried on and became a big hit, but the GS-1 itself is largely ignored in the history books.

The VSE lacks a proper page on the poor GS-1 as well, BTW.
Sir Nose wrote:It's like sex with or without a condom. You know which choice is gonna feel better, but it's not always a wise choice.
Disciples of the new wave, portaits in the sand...

Analogue Crazy
Korg MS20 Mini
Korg Micro Preset
Korg DS-8
Yamaha Motif 7
Yamaha DX11

Post by Analogue Crazy » Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:13 pm

Oh yeah, i forgot about the GS-1 and GS-2. One of them was used for the brass on 'Africa' by TOTO but both have been completely forgotten.

Gear: TB-303, MC-505, MC-09, V-Synth GT, FR-777, FR-XS, MFB: Synth II, EMU Proteus 2500/CS, FS1R, Supernova II, Fusion 6HD, ER-1 MKII
Band: 23, A23P, Piss Ant

Post by 23 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:29 pm

With Roland I'd say their V-Synth was the most oddball thing I think they've done.
I really can't think of anything that was like it prior, and even now, I'm hard pressed to think of a synth that remotely resembles the things architecture.

The D-50 I'd say was an oddball at it's time of release, and I'd say the same for the DX7.

The Jomox Resonator Neuronium would be another.

small blue dot
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by small blue dot » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:37 am

Don't forget the SH-3 and 3a. What other analog monosynth had a divide down oscillator so you could create unique analog waveforms? They also feature a unique sample+hold that doesn't sound like any other I've heard and a "Growl" slider. Everyone needs more growl.

70's synths are the best for being unique. It was a time before analog synth standards became more well defined. I think all those early production synths are unique and interesting. Then came the standard 2 osc synths ala source, rogue, Pro-one, octave cat, odyssey, etc.

The monopoly and evovler are pretty unique synths...
a master of karate and friendship for everyone

solderguy

Post by solderguy » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:06 am

Korg Sigma was an extremely oddball instrument. Preset mono with a row of organ tabs for preset selection, plus another row of small knobs to adjust a single variable parameter for each preset. Plus TWO joysticks for filter LFO bend etc. Very nice mono aftertouch response. All presets could be layered at once if you wanted, not to mention a load ( 13 IIRC ) of the MS-20 Korg-35 filter modules inside. Sounded OK though, unless you stacked too many presets.