oddball synths

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Gear: TB-303, MC-505, MC-09, V-Synth GT, FR-777, FR-XS, MFB: Synth II, EMU Proteus 2500/CS, FS1R, Supernova II, Fusion 6HD, ER-1 MKII
Band: 23, A23P, Piss Ant

Re: oddball synths

Post by 23 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:29 pm

Soundwave wrote:FS1R - Complex 8 op formant FM when VA was all the rage.
Fizmo - Still don't know exactly what the h**l it does?
Air FX - ?
Andromeda - Who would have thought that from a big digital synth corp?
Polymorph - Berlin school ethos from a dance/techno manufacturer!
MC-09 - Unusual VA bass synth with sampler combo.
The FS1R was/is actually more like a 16 op FM synth.
The Air FX, at least control wise, was a freak.

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:09 pm

Analogue Crazy wrote:Oh yeah, i forgot about the GS-1 and GS-2. One of them was used for the brass on 'Africa' by TOTO but both have been completely forgotten.

the sweet pad chordy synth sound. I love that sound

Also, the EX5 from Yamaha is an odditie

I has virtual acoustic, virtual analog, rompler, sampler, and FDSP synthesis in only one box.

The weird FDSP is exclusive for this synthesizer. It was a failure on sales.
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:40 pm

balma wrote:
Analogue Crazy wrote:Oh yeah, i forgot about the GS-1 and GS-2. One of them was used for the brass on 'Africa' by TOTO but both have been completely forgotten.

the sweet pad chordy synth sound. I love that sound
That's the CS-80. As I said in my previous post, the GS-1 was used for the kalimba sounds and the high organ part.

Micke
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

Mooger5
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Mooger5 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:34 am

Can´t think of a more oddball synth than this one. The pic on the database doesn´t do it enough justice.

Herrare umanum est.

nvbrkr
Gear: An electric piano and analog synths.

Post by nvbrkr » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:32 am

Don't know whether my choice would fit all the criteria posed on previous posts, but the Moog Source still baffles the h**l out of me each time I see it.

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:00 am

Joey wrote:
aXL wrote:The CS70M reminds me of Yamaha's biggest oddball: the GS1. The classy big brother of the DX7, the first proper FM synthesis-based synth (at least from Yamaha, if not the first period) and looking like some of their home pianos do now, appearance-wise. On the other hand, it subverts the oddball trope in that the synthesis method carried on and became a big hit, but the GS-1 itself is largely ignored in the history books.

The VSE lacks a proper page on the poor GS-1 as well, BTW.

my friend used to have the GS2 that the theme from ghostbusters was written on
And why doesn't he have it still?! That's the kind of thing you keep in your living room just so you can show it off when the conversation gets dull...

WELL, I live in the town with the building that the top of Dana Barrett's apartment was modelled after (and I never fail to point it out to visitors...)
Do you even post on vse bro?

mavertron

Post by mavertron » Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:38 am

i thought that was layered cs80?

great track, and a great patch..

calling out to micke...

------

as for weird oddball synths, id have to second the 303 - totally terrible for what it was designed for, sequencer that makes no sense, have you ever tried to make it sound like a bass guitar????
I shouldnt be here. I should be writing music.

mavertron

Post by mavertron » Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:52 pm

answer my own question, its both, gs1 doing kalimba, cs80 doing the brass patch..

David Paich on the Yamaha keyboards used: "On 'Africa' you hear a combination of marimba with GS 1. The kalimba is all done with the GS 1; it's six tracks of GS 1 playing different rhythms. I wrote the song on CS-80, so that plays the main part of the entire tune." (Keyboard, 09/1995)

mavertron

mavertron

Post by mavertron » Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:28 pm

oops i just noticed mickes post above, that will teacj=h me to skim read.
sorry for all the pointless posts everyone...

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:29 pm

Yeah, David Paich said pretty much the same thing in the Oct '82 issue of Keyboard magazine:

"On "Africa" you hear a combination of Steve's dad playing marimba combined with GS-1....the kalimba is
all done with the GS-1. It's six tracks of GS-1 playing different rhythms. There's a high organ sound that's GS-1 and I wrote the song on the CS-80 so that plays the main part of the entire tune.

Paich onstage with Toto back in 1982 (clockwise from lower left): Yamaha GS-1, Yamaha CS-80,
Roland Jupiter-8 and Steinway D grand piano.

In the same article/interview Steve Porcaro mentions that he just modified existing programs in the GS-1; "You load a strip into it and the programming module (there's only one in the United states) shows what the program looks like on four video screens. I would just start dicking with it, isolating different sections and seeing where different parts of the sound were coming from. I've always been attracted to those kind of instruments because I come from being a piano player. I love the touch sensivity, but from a synthesist's standpoint the non-programmability doesn't bother me all that much, because some of the sounds in it are just too kick-a*s to ignore."

Micke
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

spookyman
Gear: cheezy machines and some cheap analog stuff

Post by spookyman » Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:43 pm

Great Pic Micke ! :D

Thanks a lot...
It is much easier to be a good equipment purchaser than to be a great musician.

aXL
Gear: Moog LP Stage II, Ensoniq ESQ-1, Nord Electro 3, Roland JP-8080, Akai SynthStation 49, numerous softies...
Band: Nemesis Kane

Post by aXL » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:16 pm

Billy Currie of Ultravox also used the GS-1 on "Lament" (the title track) for the string pads. He can be seen playing it in two scenes in this vid here (at 1:30 and 4:30):

[youtube]4I9S8jBYv_A[/youtube]

And considering it was modded out of its Bob-given circuitry and back, Chris Cross' old Minimoog could technically also be considered an oddball, if we expand the definition to include extensive third-party modification.
Sir Nose wrote:It's like sex with or without a condom. You know which choice is gonna feel better, but it's not always a wise choice.
Disciples of the new wave, portaits in the sand...

Clavier
Gear: A distraction.
Band: Rhode Out West

Post by Clavier » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:55 pm

-E-MU Modular
-Gleeman Pentaphonic
-Alesis Andromeda
-several Korgs
-Moog Sonic Six/Musonics Sonic V
-Hammond 102200
-Hammond Novachord
-not a synth, but the Oberheim OB-5
-Con Brio ADS 200
Hammond RT-2, Hammond M3, Hammond L-102, Rhodes mk1 suitcase 88, Sequential Circuits Prophet-5, Yamaha TX-802, Fender Twin Reverb, Leslie 45

iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Prophet-5, Prophet VS, Pro-One, Moog Prodigy, ARP Axxe, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50
Band: ArtWithHeart

Post by iProg » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:43 am

Micke wrote:Yeah, David Paich said pretty much the same thing in the Oct '82 issue of Keyboard magazine:

"On "Africa" you hear a combination of Steve's dad playing marimba combined with GS-1....the kalimba is
all done with the GS-1. It's six tracks of GS-1 playing different rhythms. There's a high organ sound that's GS-1 and I wrote the song on the CS-80 so that plays the main part of the entire tune.

Paich onstage with Toto back in 1982 (clockwise from lower left): Yamaha GS-1, Yamaha CS-80,
Roland Jupiter-8 and Steinway D grand piano.

In the same article/interview Steve Porcaro mentions that he just modified existing programs in the GS-1; "You load a strip into it and the programming module (there's only one in the United states) shows what the program looks like on four video screens. I would just start dicking with it, isolating different sections and seeing where different parts of the sound were coming from. I've always been attracted to those kind of instruments because I come from being a piano player. I love the touch sensivity, but from a synthesist's standpoint the non-programmability doesn't bother me all that much, because some of the sounds in it are just too kick-a*s to ignore."

Micke

Wonderful! :)

I guess everyone can hear the CS-80 doing the brass, that was not a surprise. I've always thought the kalimba/marimba doodle were the actual acoustic instruments, since the album was released a year before the DX-7 :D

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:28 pm

rhodes chroma added to the list