oddball synths

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Re: oddball synths

Post by Micke » Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:31 pm

aXL wrote:Billy Currie of Ultravox also used the GS-1 on "Lament" (the title track) for the string pads.
Yeah, and he also used the GS-1 on 1982's "Quartet". It provides the deep pads in "Visions In Blue" as well as the haunting lead in "Mine For Life".

U-Vox performing Visions In Blue at the Oxford Road Show, 1983. The guy on left
playing the GS-1 is Chris Cross.
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Prophet-5, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50, JV-1080
Band: ArtWithHeart

Post by iProg » Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:56 am

What synth is beneath the PPG Wave (2.2?) and above the GS? Looks like a CS-X0 something...

aXL
Gear: Moog LP Stage II, Ensoniq ESQ-1, Nord Electro 3, Roland JP-8080, Akai SynthStation 49, numerous softies...
Band: Nemesis Kane

Post by aXL » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:48 pm

iProg wrote:What synth is beneath the PPG Wave (2.2?) and above the GS? Looks like a CS-X0 something...
Nothing but the venerable CS80 herself! Billy's roadies absolutely hated him for touring with it.
Sir Nose wrote:It's like sex with or without a condom. You know which choice is gonna feel better, but it's not always a wise choice.
Disciples of the new wave, portaits in the sand...

iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by iProg » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:57 pm

aXL wrote:
iProg wrote:What synth is beneath the PPG Wave (2.2?) and above the GS? Looks like a CS-X0 something...
Nothing but the venerable CS80 herself! Billy's roadies absolutely hated him for touring with it.
That's was what I first though. Impressive, but heavy!

Micke, is it the Wave 2.2 or 2.3?

aXL
Gear: Moog LP Stage II, Ensoniq ESQ-1, Nord Electro 3, Roland JP-8080, Akai SynthStation 49, numerous softies...
Band: Nemesis Kane

Post by aXL » Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:21 pm

iProg wrote:Micke, is it the Wave 2.2 or 2.3?
2.2, most likely, considering the 2.3 wasn't released before 1984.
Sir Nose wrote:It's like sex with or without a condom. You know which choice is gonna feel better, but it's not always a wise choice.
Disciples of the new wave, portaits in the sand...

iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by iProg » Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:44 pm

Oh, of course. The rig in the TOTP video of "Sleepwalk" includes lots of analog monos. I can see a CS-30 and a ARP Axxe....

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:30 pm

Hey iProg, are you referring to this TOTP "performance" from 1981:

[youtube]HyqSk-GtaLw[/youtube]

Their synth setup here includes the following:

Billy Currie: Arp Odyssey mk II, Yamaha SS-30, Yamaha CP-80 (I think), Oberheim OB-X and CS-80.
Midge Ure: Yamaha CS-40M, Yamaha SS-30 and CS-50
Chris Cross: Minimoog and Yamaha CS-40M

That's pretty much the same synths they used on the albums "Vienna" (minus the OB-X) and "Rage In Eden".
The only boards missing in the video would be the Yamaha CP-30 ep (used on Vienna album) and the trusty old Elka Rhapsody 610 stringer which Billy used on both albums (albeit sparingly).

The Elka stringer features heavily on U-Vox' first three albums though, alongside RMI electra-piano (all three albums), Minimoog (Ultravox and Systems of romance) Arp Odyssey (Ha Ha Ha & Systems of Romance) and EMS Synthis AKS (Ha ha ha and systems of romace).

To the best of my knowledge, U-Vox never used a CS-30 or Axxe.
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by iProg » Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:44 pm

Micke wrote:Hey iProg, are you referring to this TOTP "performance" from 1981:

[youtube]HyqSk-GtaLw[/youtube]

Their synth setup here includes the following:

Billy Currie: Arp Odyssey mk II, Yamaha SS-30, Yamaha CP-80 (I think), Oberheim OB-X and CS-80.
Midge Ure: Yamaha CS-40M, Yamaha SS-30 and CS-50
Chris Cross: Minimoog and Yamaha CS-40M

That's pretty much the same synths they used on the albums "Vienna" (minus the OB-X) and "Rage In Eden".
The only boards missing in the video would be the Yamaha CP-30 ep (used on Vienna album) and the trusty old Elka Rhapsody 610 stringer which Billy used on both albums (albeit sparingly).

The Elka stringer features heavily on U-Vox' first three albums though, alongside RMI electra-piano (all three albums), Minimoog (Ultravox and Systems of romance) Arp Odyssey (Ha Ha Ha & Systems of Romance) and EMS Synthis AKS (Ha ha ha and systems of romace).

To the best of my knowledge, U-Vox never used a CS-30 or Axxe.
Yeah, that's the performance. CS-40M it is, indeed...

Thanks again Micke!

PS: That is one great song, for sure...

Andy_X69
Gear: Alesis A6 Andromeda, Access Virus TI, Arturia Minibrute, DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard, Waldorf Micro-Q, Waldorf Pulse 2

Post by Andy_X69 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:19 pm

If a significant departure from a firm's previous line counts as oddball, I'd say that the Virus TI series is at least somewhat oddball (to an extent). C and before were all about being so "analog," then the TI brings in all the digital trickery. Now Access is pursuing an "it does everything!" Waldorfian type strategy. Not that I'm complaining.
http://www.myspace.com/studiodekadent, Cubase 4/TC Powercore X8/MOTU PCIe424 with 24io/MOTU MIDI Express 128

Sigma
Gear: Yamaha cs 15d - Korg Sigma - Roland Jx3p - Elka EK 22 - Korg KPR 77 - Microkorg - Alesis SR 16

Post by Sigma » Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:21 pm

I own korg sigma and it is deffinately an oddball, but great fun to play, nothing sounds like it! also got the
yamaha cs15d which is pretty weird, another preset/ manuel control synth, it has an awsome filter tho, reeeaaal wet!

Char-El
Gear: 2 Emu E4Ks,VK6,Classic Keys,, Korg Wavestation EX,DW-8000 Turbo,Roland P330,,Roland MC 50 MK2,Mellotron Archives CD Rom

Post by Char-El » Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:52 pm

Patrick Moraz used the GS-1 on the Moody Blues tour for THE PRESENT album (probably on the album too). He also used it on his solo album TIME CODE and it can be seen on his recent DVD FUTURE MEMORIES in the second half. I'll again bring up the Seiko DS 250 from my other thread...nice sounds and easy to use for a digital additive cheapo synth. Then there was the Keytek CTS 2000 (by Siel) Very weird wavetable type synth from 1988.

http://www.geocities.com/diffused_light ... s2000.html

Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:37 pm

May I suggest The Korg Prophecy as an oddball synth? Maybe, the Korg Karma as well?

Here's an odd version of the Korg Prophecy which I've never seen in real life.

compared to a regular version:

MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:22 pm

Char-El wrote:Patrick Moraz used the GS-1 on the Moody Blues tour for THE PRESENT album (probably on the album too). He also used it on his solo album TIME CODE and it can be seen on his recent DVD FUTURE MEMORIES in the second half. I'll again bring up the Seiko DS 250 from my other thread...nice sounds and easy to use for a digital additive cheapo synth. Then there was the Keytek CTS 2000 (by Siel) Very weird wavetable type synth from 1988.

http://www.geocities.com/diffused_light ... s2000.html
I have the Future Memories DVD and CDs, great stuff!

Moraz uses the GS-1 quite a bit on FM II (1982), the cue "Pilot's Games" in particular features it heavily.

ImageImage

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:20 pm

Huh, that top Prophecy pic looks like someone glued a Prophecy and an accordion together. Buttons instead of keys, I'll never figure that system out.

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:44 pm

Analogue Crazy wrote:For Roland it could be the JX-3P:
It looks unlike anyother Roland instrument and has a distinctive slightly metallic sound.
Well, what is odd about the JX-3P is that the design came from Roland's guitar synthesizer division. Based on that, and the time it was introduced, it would be logical to assume that it's basically a keyboard version of the GR300. But not so; about the only thing they have in common is the IR3109-based VCF. The GR300 doesn't really have VCOs per se, so they came up with a unique VCO design for the JX-3P, and it's unlike the DCOs in the Juno-60, which was introduced at about the same time.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!