New Taurus Pedals

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
ColorForm2113
Gear: tin cans and rubber bands
Band: Me twiddling in the corner...

Re: New Taurus Pedals

Post by ColorForm2113 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:48 pm

:shock: I must have done something to offend the synth gods. First moog gives away a cp251 with any synth purchase, now they are reissuing the taurus in limited number! And I can't afford any of this right now. AGGHHH!!!!
My modular so far: Q104, Q106, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M (x2 STEREO!)

ndkent

Post by ndkent » Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:09 pm

As to the value of the original, I guess it depends on if they nail the sound of the original or not. It is a different situation from the Voyager in that they never claimed that one was going to sound the exactly same as a Minimoog though they said things like similar and comparable to.

As for the free CP, I guess that's not a terrible move since they probably aren't really flying off shelves, it also encourages people to buy something else to use it with.

I remember hanging out with Bob at a music shop back in 2000. A guitarist was asking Bob what he could do with a CP after having just bought one and the answer was you'd use it with the other Moogerfoogers. At the time the Voyager wasn't out or named yet (ahem... I sent in "Voyager" to their contest and didn't win squat) but the prototype was already seen at NAMM and talked about. Amongst other things Bob was asking if people wanted to see a new Taurus after the new monosynth came out

Leeroy Jenkins

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:27 am

Dudes, the famous Tom Sawyer resonance sweep was an Oberheim OBX, not a Moog Taurus Pedal!

Purity_Control

Post by Purity_Control » Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:00 pm

isn't there a law against selling vapourware?

much that i love moog kit and the taurus pedals are kick a*s, people are expected to pay moog $500 for kit that doesn't exist yet, that we have no pictures or sounds for, and that might not actually ever exist, and if it does come to exist and everything goes to schedule (which it might not), you still don't see anything for your $500 deposit until this time next year? :roll:

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:14 pm

Well don't buy it then. I'm sure there's plenty of people out there who will.

hogberto

Post by hogberto » Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:07 pm

yeah, looks to me like they're interested in producing the taurus but are putting this on their site in an attempt to gauge the level of serious interest. i hope this approach works for them, because it may encourage them to try other new projects in future.
Analogue Systems RS8500 | Andromeda A6 | Moog Voyager Old School | Korg Radias KB | MEK | DSI Tetr4 | Tom Oberheim SEM | Waldorf Blofeld module | Virus C | A Sol Leipzig-S | XV-5080 | V-Synth XT | Mopho KB

etcetera

Post by etcetera » Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:45 pm

You fail to realize that there is more to designing a musical instrument than just components. When Bob was learning to design theremins in the 1950s, long before synthesizers, he learned the art of VOICING THE CIRCUIT. You substitute active and/or passive components, change the circuit until it sounds GOOD. Bob grew up during the era of tubes and he developed an uncanny ability to voice transistor circuits to resemble tubes.
So true. I am a guitarist, and the same thing applies to the original designs of the english made Vox transistor amps of the 60'ies - models like Conqueror, Defiant, Supreme, and their bass counterparts. The engineer at Vox was d**k Denney (who also passed away some years ago), and he had the same approach to his circuit designs. The best engineers were the ones that trusted their ears more than their osciloscopes

keb
Gear: Alesis Ion, Yamaha DX7II-D, Moog Taurus (Mk I)

Post by keb » Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:10 pm

Ohhh great news! You know, I just had the feeling Moog was up to something; earlier this year, I was poking around a trademark registration website and had noticed that Moog Music had recently registered the Taurus name.

I hope demand for these is strong enough to warrant more than a 1000-unit production run. I already have a Taurus I, but it would be nice to know there would be a suitable replacement available down the line if mine finally decide to totally c**p out! Gah, I might just have to spring for one anyway... :)

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:32 pm

madtheory wrote:Anyone know what's going on at circuit level in a Taurus?
I recall something from a Synth-DIY thread about the VCF and VCA functions both being incorporated into the same circuit. Apparently it was done as a cost saving measure, and the effect that it would have on the sound wasn't really realized at the time. They "fixed" this with the Taurus II, and that is said to be one of the reasons it doesn't sound as good.

(EDIT: I just went and looked at the schematic myself. What I wrote above turns out not to be true -- the VCF is the standard Moog transistor ladder, and the VCA is a conventional CA3080-based circuit.)

BTW, I believe it was Dave Luce who designed the Taurus. It was part of the Constellation project, which was Dave's baby.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:04 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:Just quietly, the original Taurus had memory too.
Er, not really... True, it had the three presets and the one programmable setting. The parameter values for the presents were determined by resistors in various places in the circuit. There were a gazillion 4016 quad bilateral switches that selected resistor values for each parameter; it would select a fixed resistor for one of the presets, or route to the potentiometer for that parameter if the user setting was selected.

To change a parameter value in a preset, you'd need to replace a resistor in the circuit. There was no patch memory as such.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

small blue dot
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by small blue dot » Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:25 pm

It would be cool if they sold the synth module and foot-pedal seperately. I'm not a pedal player and I imagine a lot of people aren't. I bet they could sell a fair amount of desk-top or rack module synths that could be used with a keyboard/sequencer rather than the foot-pedal.
a master of karate and friendship for everyone

synth3tik
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Pro One/Prophet 2002+/Prophet 08SE/Cat/M1/Poly6/Jupiter6/JD-990/SidStation/SE-1X/Microwave II/Matrix 6R/S3000/S612/Source
Band: Batteries Aren't Food/J.a.F.a

Post by synth3tik » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:15 am

hogberto wrote:yeah, looks to me like they're interested in producing the taurus but are putting this on their site in an attempt to gauge the level of serious interest. i hope this approach works for them, because it may encourage them to try other new projects in future.

So then it might seem that either all 1000 will be spoken for or it will not be made at all. It looks like if Moog can gather the interest in it they will build it, but then only 1000. That seems odd. If interest was so over whelming that Moog would gather parts, get boards printed and the like that they would want to produce more. Over head will be high, but with 1000 units the cost wouldn't be met.

Synthaholic
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Motif XS6, TX802, D-550, A6

Post by Synthaholic » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:36 am

It could be a teaser to spur interest as well... say "we're only going to make 1000" but then they'll ultimately make more, IF it sells.

I'm SO tempted. If not for job insecurity issues and the vaporware risk, I'd be pulling the trigger. I'd love to own a Moog and the Taurus bass is probably my all-time favorite synth bass sound.

A desktop or rack version would be nice though. Not everyone needs pedals. I have enough trouble playing with two hands without getting a foot involved too. ;)
Two VCO: thanks to the push rods, one can choose several forms of waves at the same time!
(from a Babelfish translation of a Jupiter-6 site)

Yamaha: Motif XS6, TX802 Roland: D-550 Alesis: A6 Andromeda

synth3tik
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Pro One/Prophet 2002+/Prophet 08SE/Cat/M1/Poly6/Jupiter6/JD-990/SidStation/SE-1X/Microwave II/Matrix 6R/S3000/S612/Source
Band: Batteries Aren't Food/J.a.F.a

Post by synth3tik » Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:00 am

That would be nice if it was really a feeler.

When I first saw the news I too didn't think a bass pedal board would be really what I would need, but picking up the bass again I was thinking it would be kind of fun at a gig to play my P bass and then do some fun drones and simpler bass lines from a Taurus. :D Especially in more of a post punk style rock, or psychedelic.

iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Prophet-5, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50, JV-1080
Band: ArtWithHeart

Post by iProg » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:34 pm

Leeroy Jenkins wrote:Dudes, the famous Tom Sawyer resonance sweep was an Oberheim OBX, not a Moog Taurus Pedal!
It is layered Taurus with the OB-X :)