virus ti snow and the rest of virus ti series

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Re: virus ti snow and the rest of virus ti series

Post by balma » Tue May 05, 2009 7:13 pm

DEFINITLY, that live show was a BIG HIT for Access....

getting their gear on the hands of Depeche Mode in this way.... f*ck!!! how much synths will love to be there
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Tue May 05, 2009 7:57 pm

One other thought is that the Virus TI is a deep synth. The Snow offers little in hands on control. Of course the total integration aspect means you can control it as a soft synth and you could obviously use a hardware controller but if you’re like me, you prefer built-in hardware control and you’ll opt for the desktop for that reason alone. I ended up with a Polar and I couldn’t be happier. It’s a great synth. I’m sure you’ll be happy with whichever you choose.
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Tue May 05, 2009 8:06 pm

that's sure....

Honestly I haven't play any other VA like this one. The learning curve of the Virus TI is infinite it has so, so many options to create sounds, and I haven't use it with a PC

Some people says that the Waldorf big Q is better, hmmmmmm....

Anyway, the question here, is if the SNOW (or POLAR??) has only one DSP engine and the desktop has two like I read on this thread
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Tue May 05, 2009 10:38 pm

The Snow is the only TI that has the single DSP. The polar, full size and desktop all have the same specs beyond the keyboard or lack of. Snow and Polar aren't the same thing:

Snow

Polar

Stomper
Band: Illectronic Mind

Post by Stomper » Tue May 05, 2009 11:54 pm

otto wrote:The Snow is the only TI that has the single DSP.
Which means....?

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Wed May 06, 2009 1:44 am

The DSP is how the Virii generate their sounds. Snow is great if you need a few basic virus voices...

aredj
Gear: A little bit of E-muAccessJomoxKorg -
Spectralis2!

Post by aredj » Wed May 06, 2009 5:21 am

to whom it may concern...

I use a TI desktop sequenced multitimbrally (sp?) from a command station live, and tend to use fairly complex patches... (long release pads, arps, basses, fx, etc - all at once - polyphony gets eaten quickly by complex patches)
Its common for me to max the polyphony using 5 parts.
I could never use a snow for what I'm doing...

Stomper
Band: Illectronic Mind

Post by Stomper » Wed May 06, 2009 8:44 am

Ashe37 wrote:The DSP is how the Virii generate their sounds. Snow is great if you need a few basic virus voices...
So it has less DSP because it has less voices, but it doesnt affect the sound of the snow (?)

BTW, is there a Virus with more than 2 audio outputs? to use the multi timbral with different audio tracks (and record bass and a lead at the same time)?

Stomper.

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Wed May 06, 2009 8:53 am

Stomper wrote:
Ashe37 wrote:The DSP is how the Virii generate their sounds. Snow is great if you need a few basic virus voices...
So it has less DSP because it has less voices, but it doesnt affect the sound of the snow (?)

BTW, is there a Virus with more than 2 audio outputs? to use the multi timbral with different audio tracks (and record bass and a lead at the same time)?

Yes, exactly. And the Virus Desktop, Keyboard and Polar all have six outs.

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by balma » Wed May 06, 2009 5:24 pm

aredj wrote:to whom it may concern...

I use a TI desktop sequenced multitimbrally (sp?) from a command station live, and tend to use fairly complex patches... (long release pads, arps, basses, fx, etc - all at once - polyphony gets eaten quickly by complex patches)
Its common for me to max the polyphony using 5 parts.
I could never use a snow for what I'm doing...

command station sequencing virus.... that's a killing setup, only missing a good phrase sampler to throw some voices or beats samples...

I used to control a Virus B with a Command station, wich also triggered samples on a roland sp808ex. The virus B polyphony is limited, so I complemented it with some good sounds from the command station (poly 128), there you can create a single patch with 12 waves.

I wonder what we could do with a command station, a Virus TI, and a sampler like a MPC full memory, SP808 or RS7000.... :twisted:

aredj
Spectralis2!

Post by aredj » Wed May 06, 2009 9:41 pm

Yeah, I totally use a ESX along with this setup.
And an Devo And an airbase99 (in a rack w/ a motu to mix it all)....

aredj
Spectralis2!

Post by aredj » Wed May 06, 2009 9:44 pm

Stomper wrote:

Stomper.
No... this does not affect the sound... just HOW MANY sounds you can play at once.

The TI has 3 stereo outs.

My friend, full specs for ALL the machines are available on the Access website, as well as many other places.

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Wed May 06, 2009 10:36 pm

Stomper wrote:

Stomper.
It has half the processing power. When you use a lot of effects, stack voices, etc. it cuts down the amount of notes you can play at a time. A snow still has a lot of power but significantly less than the other TI's thus the price.

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by balma » Wed May 06, 2009 11:04 pm

aredj wrote:Yeah, I totally use a ESX along with this setup.
And an Devo And an airbase99 (in a rack w/ a motu to mix it all)....
Aredj, we should talk, I also use an ESX along with this setup, look at my gear

Kind of funny, with so much gear on market and we work almost exactly with the same tools.

the HUGE problem with the ESX is precisely with the beat samples, for example, a 4 kicks length sample at 130 bmp.

When you want to slice it, if the beat sample has a small swing effect, or if you does not assign a perfect start and end point, slicing will screw the sample.

Electribe ESX works very well with short samples and vocals, I like it as a mangle sampler, it has a very superficial and weak sample synthesis, but I like the sound. It's a shame that you cand assign a tempo sync LFO to the start point of the sample, or having at least, 2 LFOS. Love to chop the voices on it, for an unknown reason, ESX is great for sample voices.

I lost the VIRUS B, but I have a V synth instead its place.

What I do is

COmmand station: master clock.

MIDI A, transmits note and clock info to the SP 808 ex, in order to trigger samples. Also the SP 808 is on THRU MIDI, and transmits only the tempo to the ESX. I do not send notes to the ESX, it has its own patterns, he just waits for the pattern start triggering.

MIDI B, transmits notes to the V synth. I need a VA to work along the patches of the command station, and the patterns and samples of the ESX, so I send a lot of note info to the V synth...

I haven't found anything better than the COMMAND STATION to do this job. It's just perfect!