The synthesisers used on Kanye Wests new album

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
mute

Re: The synthesisers used on Kanye Wests new album

Post by mute » Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:57 pm

wiss wrote: because he sampled CAN, this is his claim to fame.
i was not aware he sampled can. this just brought his douche-bagness to a new level.

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:07 am

Yay let's hate on everyone who's famous!
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

hageir
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://www.geirhelgi.com/
https://soundcloud.com/geir-helgi
Band: Geir Helgi

Post by hageir » Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:58 am

mute wrote:
wiss wrote: because he sampled CAN, this is his claim to fame.
i was not aware he sampled can. this just brought his douche-bagness to a new level.

2nd!!
Three words:
LEARN TO SING.
Elektron MnM & MD UW, DSI MEK & Prophet REV2 16 Voices baby!, Ensoniq VFX & ESQ-1, SE-1X, Korg MS-20mini, Polysix, SH-101 (red), 707, CR-8000, KPR-77, PO-12, Yamaha C1 Music Computer, Synare PS-1, FX, mixers, some more stuff..

kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by kuroichi » Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:55 am

Kanye and all the rest of them aren't rappers now, they're popstars. The music business is oversaturated with talentless people (not saying he is, although he is really), and it's all just fashion/trend and promotion that gets them sales.

Kind of like how MTV doesn't play music anymore, but they constantly try and tell you how to live your life, and whats cool and whats not, even if it's a load of s**t.

It's all just money and gullible consumers hungry for something new. It's kept stable by the concept of 'professional' music, ie. all professional records have to adhere to a particular production value/procedure, which:

A. stops some people from being able to release music, as it wont sound 'professional' (you know, like how some record labels expect mastered demos...)
and
B. allows a complete lack of experimentation within popular music, so that the progress or direction or music can be controlled by the major labels.

The popularity or rap is coming to a close now, they took it, chewed it up, then turned it into a parody of itself so that people refuse to take it seriously, and then all the popular 'rappers' started singing. Then rap, rnb and all the other 'n***** music' was merged into one genre... 'Urban', like were some kind of f**k street walking, living in the gutter, no brain having, monkey f**k animals.
Joey wrote:Yay let's hate on everyone who's famous!
Not everyone...

However, I'll make it clear that madonna is a f**k demon who should die, or at best be disfigured in a horrific boating accident, left unable to roam around during the day, she exists only to emerge under cover of darkness to hunt for scraps of food.... "living...? how can you call this living?"
Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:11 pm

? Nobody is bashing people because of their celebrity status, but simply the fact that they have celebrity status for no discernible reason.

Kanye West has no f**k talent, at least compared to so many other hip hop artists that will toil in obscurity. I thought I used to hate the US's fascination with actor/musicians until we reached this point where we were fascinated with people that dont f**k do anything like those wastes of c**t skin on The Hills, Kardashians, etc. Why are we not dargging these morons into the street, massacring them, and dispensing their money to the burdened middle class? Their only use is a template - those actually care about them should be sterilized.

So yeah, when famous returns to meaning someone who is good at acting, good at making music, or doing some crazy, whacked out s**t, I am going to be hating "famous" people.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Joey » Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:43 pm

tallowwaters wrote:
? Nobody is bashing people because of their celebrity status, but simply the fact that they have celebrity status for no discernible reason.
well thats one of the things i'm trying to say

why do we care why they are famous?

you are still entitled to dislike them

which you do

i personally am a fan of nin, radiohead, and kanye

and i would be even if they weren't famous

its long been obvious that most people are tasteless

but hating on people because you think they dont deserve their success is kind of dumb.

its not like they did anything intentionally to become so successful

they just had the right music at the right time that the masses happened to like

and the help of a major label pushing them (which i'm sure many of us would like to have)

even trent always talks about how he never expected nin to go big and would have been happy with just having moderate success on an indie label (which tvt was at the time)

as for the hills and kardashian thing, i totally agree, they actually do nothing, and they should not be famous, but we can't hate them for it, it wasnt their decision to become famous, the people made them famous

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: .com, mpc, and a studio full of behringer clones.

Post by wiss » Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:05 pm

Joey wrote:and kardashian thing
Old man Kardashian was a well known lawyer, OJ SIMPSON, MICHEAL JACKSON, AND OTHER HIGH PROFILE CASES.

It's the modern formula.....daddy's little girl has no talent and wants to be famous, little girls makes p**n, little girl gets a reality show, and mindless drone bees watch the s**t.
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Joey » Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:27 pm

wiss wrote:
Old man Kardashian was a well known lawyer, OJ SIMPSON, MICHEAL JACKSON, AND OTHER HIGH PROFILE CASES.

It's the modern formula.....daddy's little girl has no talent and wants to be famous, little girls makes p**n, little girl gets a reality show, and mindless drone bees watch the s**t.
i meant the daughters, not their father and bruce jenner

those guys actually did something

quicksilverXP

Post by quicksilverXP » Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:13 pm

Man... tough crowd. Let's hope none of us get really famous so we don't undergo the same type of scorn. After all, a lot of people are "talentless" relatively.

Kanye could look at us knob-turning individuals and say we're not even playing the keyboard... and we can look at him sample digging and beat-making and say the same thing.

Relax, appreciate success, and work on your own success. No use in being this negative.

kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by kuroichi » Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:18 pm

My problem isnt the lack of talent or anything it's this:

'they just had the right music at the right time that the masses happened to like'

My problem is 'the masses'. I don't want everyone to agree on what is good and bad, but I find that a lot of this s**t is forced down our throats, and into our minds.

Nowadays most people like things but have no idea why, thats my problem.

And further to that, I just hate their mediated image, that which they use to promote themselves, and the misinformation people use to describe them, such as when people call Madonna innovative, or when kanyes on stage pretending to cry while performing that song to his mother. Singling them out is a bit unfair really, as they aren't the only ones, but f**k them anyway.

I just want to see an end to all these songs that have the words, 'In the club', somewhere in the opening line or chorus.
Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!

tallowwaters

Post by tallowwaters » Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:19 pm

wiss wrote:

Wow! A f**k lawyer! For representing over hyped ludicrous j**k human beings not worth the carbon they are printed on! Holy h**l, I take it all back. Thank god the world had him in its midst at some point!

If it offends you that I hate famous people, I can name a slew of unfamous people I hate even more.

tyrannosaurus mark

Post by tyrannosaurus mark » Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:07 pm

But if that sort of fame requires no talent, then why aren't you guys that famous? Is it because you just don't want it, but that you could have it if you wanted?

I feel like this is the argument with garageband. It goes that now lots and lots and lots of people can have access to half decent recording gear, now there's no skill in making a record. Any kid can play a few notes on a synthesiser, sing a bit of auto-tuned singing on top and they can make a record that sounds just like top 40 music.

But then, it turns out that most people that us garageband use it to make some boring music that no one else really wants to hear
Moog LP + Casio SK1 and MT-75 + tube amp = good tone.

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:12 pm

tyrannosaurus mark wrote:But if that sort of fame requires no talent, then why aren't you guys that famous?
Well, at least in the examples most recently given, the type of fame in question appears to require—in addition to being talentless—being rich and well-connected.
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: .com, mpc, and a studio full of behringer clones.

Post by wiss » Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:51 am

tallowwaters wrote:
wiss wrote:

Wow! A f**k lawyer! For representing over hyped ludicrous j**k human beings not worth the carbon they are printed on! Holy h**l, I take it all back. Thank god the world had him in its midst at some point!

If it offends you that I hate famous people, I can name a slew of unfamous people I hate even more.
hold up there.....I am not defending old man Kardashian. I am just stating an observation that these lame unreality stars are using to achieve "stardom" on TMZ....
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

tallowwaters

Post by tallowwaters » Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:27 pm

wiss wrote:
hold up there.....I am not defending old man Kardashian. I am just stating an observation that these lame unreality stars are using to achieve "stardom" on TMZ....
Oh, I know. I just wanted to go off on that tirade.