Say you were in a plan crash...

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
JackAstro

Post by JackAstro » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:00 am

The plane is carrying electrical generators, speakers, fuel, cables and...some chemicals. There is also a box containing either a TB-303 and TR-808, or an Electribe EMX. You are the only musician on the plane. Everybody on the plane likes electronic music.

The plane crashes. You, everybody on the plane, and the cargo wash up on a desert island unharmed. The captain radios for help, and a rescue party will arrive in one week. So you have the makings of a killer rave. You and the survivors setup all the equipment.

Now it is time to open the mystery box. Remember, it contains either a TB-303 and TR-808, or an Electribe EMX. You don't get to keep the contents after the week is over. The survivors are counting on your to rock the island party for one whole week.

So what are you hoping the box contains?

esqoner

Re: Say you were in a plan crash...

Post by esqoner » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:07 am

bananas?
the little green buttons make the little

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:29 am

As for the box...Doritos. Lots and lots of bags of Doritos.
"*Automatic Gainsay, you ignorant slut." - Primal Drive

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

:happy3:

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: it's all being sold to fund new gear

Post by wiss » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:31 am

drugs
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

Box
Gear: Roland JP-8000
Roland JX-3P
Roland JX-8P
1972 Wurlitzer Console Piano
Band: Neo Decorum
Location: Land of oscillators, filters, and other really cool looking stuff.

Post by Box » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:37 am

I was hoping maybe another plane? But that'd require a big box... But logically I guess the EMX since it is drums and synth in one. It'd be hard to entertain with just a bass line and especially just drums. So the EMX seems like the winner given the situation.
Help our very own Maschinengeist (Stéphane) by making your next purchase or repair with him! Click the logo for more info!

stalla
Gear: CS80, CP70, Eminent U310 and more...

Post by stalla » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:48 am

Salma Hayek but it will be an emx
In a synthetic mood

Gianni

Post by Gianni » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:55 am

A smaller box, and inside that an even smaller box, and you know the rest of the story.

....In the 2cmx2cm box you find a mopho and a Microkorg. :D

Johnny Lenin
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: JX8P | AX60 | Little Phatty Stage II | DW8000 | Vox Jag | Fantom X6 | Juno-G | P-Bass | AS-120 | Double Jet

Post by Johnny Lenin » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:00 am

Enough dynamite to blow open the hatch so we could all hide from the others.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:26 am

I'm usually a smart arse but others have been doing such a bad job of it that smart-arsery looks seriously uncool. So I shall say EMX, purely cause I could do a bassline and a lead at the same time, and also cause 303s are played out.

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Post by Zamise » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:26 am

Does the tb-303 & 808 come packed with any hemroid cream? We'd definatly have a winner then, otherwise the emx wouldn't take as long to re-learn and we could be rocking out in no time, plus it has midi ;)
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:19 am

I can stay longer than a week with just a RS7k and a mic from the plane supplies. Do some sampling from the people's voices and noise performances using things found on the island and tweak those samples to h**l and re-mix it. but never wish (knock on wood) to be ever on a plane crash [-o<
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:30 am

i'd concentrate on island's native women .. turns out its not exactly deserted.. 8)

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

JackAstro

Post by JackAstro » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:57 am

wiss wrote:drugs
That's already in the example.
JackAstro wrote:and...some chemicals.

Gear: TB-303, MC-505, MC-09, V-Synth GT, FR-777, FR-XS, MFB: Synth II, EMU Proteus 2500/CS, FS1R, Supernova II, Fusion 6HD, ER-1 MKII
Band: 23, A23P, Piss Ant

Post by 23 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:04 am

The entire basis of the idea presented here is flawed.

Here's why....

If it has a TB-303, you're dead in the water. What are you going to do, sit and crank out monophonic bass lines, weird leads, and/or acid lines all night that have absolutely no rhytmic backing to them whatsoever and expect to rock out a "rave"?
Something tells me the people are going to get bored within the first 5 minutes and walk off.

You then have the TR-808. You can get more complex then you can with the TB (I mean hey, at least you aren't single timbral coupled with monophonic now), but outside of drum sounds, you're still stuck. I don't know, I guess maybe you might get extremely lucky and the folks will be satisfied with a bunch of completely ULTRA MINIMAL tribal house beats or something. In all likely hood though, you're just slightly better off then you were with your TB option....maybe you hold on to their attention for 10 minutes now.

Finally you have the Korg EMX, the only viable option presented here to run anything in a well rounded fashion. The only option presented in order to be able to conduct some sort of drumming action along with bass lines and such.
Thus, granted I'm not at all a fan of the EMX (and I am a fan of the other two machines presented), on an isolated basis and for the purposes outline, the EMX with it's simultaneous 9 drum parts and like 5 synth parts or whatever, is the only thing that's feasibly workable for the purposes outlined.

This whole question sort of read like...
"Your on a desert island, only have one instrument, and have to record an entire album.
You can have only ONE of the following:
A Bass guitar (liken this to the TB)
A drum kit (liken this to the 808)
Or a workstation synth (liken this to the EMX)
Which one instrument do you choose in order to make an entire album that can rock a crowd?"

stephen
Gear: Laptop
House Brick
Renoise
Loomer Aspect
FM8

Post by stephen » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:35 am

I'd grab the plane's black box and remix Ride on Time.

Ouch!
Stephen(2)