John Carpenter appreciation thread

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Re: John Carpenter appreciation thread

Post by tomorrowstops » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:33 pm

Awesome Micke, I really appreciate it!

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:46 pm

You're welcome :)
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by tomorrowstops » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:37 pm

Any idea how they recorded any of this stuff, specifically the EFNY/HII productions? Are we talking direct signal > console > tape, or were the SCI's and ARP's amplified/mic'd in a room? The reverb on both of these albums is huge!

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:32 am

Apparently he's working on new music...

http://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago/jo ... witterfeed

But I have to say, a comment like this doesn't make me look forward to it:
"Modern synths now have built-in samples," he says. "They have all these amazing sounds in them and you can dial them up. That's what I'm talking about. It's the greatest."

SeventhStar
Gear: (Sequential Prophet 600, MULTI-TRAK & TOM), DARK STAR, Arturia Prophet V & Modular V, M-AUDIO Keystation 61es

Post by SeventhStar » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:39 am

Happy B-Day John!

John Carpenter turned 66 yesterday, on January 16th.

Thanks for all the great synthesizer soundtracks you've done over the years, John!

LoboLives

Post by LoboLives » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:43 am

Sorry to bring up an old thread but I have a question in regards to gear. Perhaps Micke could help me out.

On Escape From New York I swear I hear an acoustic piano. From the chords in the main title to "Across The Roof" I swear there's an acoustic piano. If not how could they program the Prophet 5 or Quadra to sound that close to the real thing?

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:57 pm

Yeah that's definitely a real piano in those tracks. On the expanded CD the piano part is much louder in the mix and some of the synth
parts have been toned down. I prefer the original version.
Later, in the mid to late '80s Carpenter and Howarth began using sampled piano sounds from the Kurzweil K250 and Synclavier.
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

LoboLives

Post by LoboLives » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:59 pm

I guess no idea if it's an upright or grand Carpenter used on his early stuff and EFNY?

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:23 pm

I believe it was an old upright on the original 1978 Halloween ost but I'm not sure about EFNY since it was recorded at a different studio with
a different synthesist, i.e. Alan Howarth.

EDIT: I'm not so sure anymore whether it's an upright or grand piano on Halloween and The Fog, I just found an old photo
from Sound arts studios in LA and it looks like they had both types along with a keyboard glockenspiel or celesta and harpsichord.
The studio was previously owned by Paul Beaver and he had a big collection of musical instruments. When Dan Wyman & Co took over
the studio after Beaver death in early '75, I believe a number of instruments went along (including Beaver's old Moog modular).

Broadwave
Gear: Kronos 2-88, System 8, MODX6, ARP Odyssey, BroadWAVE ARP 2600EX, BroadWAVE Modular, BroadWAVE Sparta, BroadWAVE Minimoog, oh... and some guitars.

Post by Broadwave » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:48 am

I don't know if you all know, but he's touring this year (Yup, I was pretty shocked when I found out too)

I have my ticket for Oct 29th, here in Manchester :D

http://www.theofficialjohncarpenter.com/tour/

LoboLives

Post by LoboLives » Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:53 pm

I tried to contact Alan Howarth to ask him this but got no response. Curious why it wasn't listed in the Equipment list on the record. It's thrown me off for years trying to find a good piano patch on the Prophet until I realized it's most likely a real piano.

I always thought Carpenter recorded his scores in real time which was probably the case on Dark Star and Assault On Precinct 13 but I guess later he used a ton of overdubs or at least partially recorded some of his stuff in real time.

raycastile

Post by raycastile » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:39 am

John Carpenter is one of my favorite composers and a big reason I gravitated toward keyboards. (Vangelis is my #1 keyboard hero.) I remember buying the Japanese import LP of the Halloween soundtrack in 1979. This was the "spacesizer 360 system recording." I had no idea what that meant. Still don't. It was a really cheesy excuse for a soundtrack album, a poorly orchestrated and poorly recorded (sorry spacesizer) cover version of Carpenter's score. But it was all that was available, and I played the heck out of it. Still have it.

My favorite Carpenter theme is Assault. My favorite complete score is The Fog.

LoboLives

Post by LoboLives » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:11 pm

One question I have in terms of gear that's always bothered me is the arppegiated sequence underneath the main them of Escape From New York.

It starts with what sounds like a standard 8th note appegiation for 3 bars in E and then switches on the 4th bar to a repeated high E.

Now this would be standard sequencing but the next part has the appegiated riff repeated over and over without the change on the 4th bar.

Howarth said it was the ARP Quadra driving the ARP Sequencers.

How can I replicate this? Would I chain together sequences? or alternate between sequences with a MIDI foot pedal.

But there was no MIDI used in this score so I'm curious how they achieved this?

raycastile

Post by raycastile » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:34 am

I think Howarth is just fading between different arpeggio tracks in the mix.

forcedopinion

Post by forcedopinion » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:36 am

Going to see him in Portland, can't wait!

Hey Micke, I was listening to the In The Mouth Of Madness score at work tonight and I was wondering if you had any idea what was used for the bulk of the score. Sounds mostly like rompler/workstation sounds. Any idea? M1 maybe and an Akai sampler? Thanks!