Korg Poly 800 charging??

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Happyman

Korg Poly 800 charging??

Post by Happyman » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:41 am

I have the feeling this is going to be a stupid question but I read somewhere sometime ago that plugging a Korg Poly in to the mains and leaving it on effectively charges it's memory battery. I 'm assuming this is spurious information but just wanted confirmation. Also is ten years the limit of life expectancy for a battery? Many thanks.

rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Re: Korg Poly 800 charging??

Post by rhino » Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:05 am

don't have a poly800 (yet)
do know the Polysix came with a rechargable Ni-Cad battery that recharged when the synth was powered on.
they are the cause of the famous "toxic discharge from h**l" that eats up the main board for lunch.
when replacing with a lithium battery, you have to disable the charging circut to keep the new battery from exploding.
When the wise man points to the stars, the fool looks at the finger.
- Confucius

Happyman

Post by Happyman » Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:12 am

I was curious, now I'm scared! I've heard of that happening to the PolySix many times, but never the Poly 800...
Thanks for the reply

pworks

Post by pworks » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:06 am

since we`re talking about the poly 800 does anyone know how to get it out of omni mode mine seems to be stuck receving all chanels

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:23 pm

There was a bug on early models that had this problem, if I recall. Also, I believe the battery charging circuit was not present until later on in production. I replaced my old Poly's battery with a 2032 and it was fine. I think the one that came out was the same actually. I don't have access to any better info right now but I can look when I get home.

pworks

Post by pworks » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:19 pm

thanks ive been looking everywere for info on this any other info would be greatly appreciated i dig the synth but the omni mode isnt ecactly making it easy to intergrate into my set up thanks again

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:11 pm

Not sure how useful you'll find this link but here you go:

http://www.pallium.com/bryan/polybattery.php - refers to Poly800 mkII, but I used this as the basis for my mkI battery replacement. I used a standard CR2032 in a holder. No problems at all with either the installation or the result. Early mkI models had no battery, later mkI and mkII had the battery onboard. I think they're all 2032s, not rechargeables, but might be wrong. After installing the battery, you'll need to obtain the audio file of the preset data and play it in from your daw. Or program your own sounds, naturally.

I sold my Poly800 earlier this year, but from what I recall, it defaults to omni on at power-up; you then have to set omni to off and change the channel. Very early models have a problem with the OS that means they are stuck in omni mode (if my memory serves) and there's no way around it as far as I remember. I seem to have ditched links to the info I had on the poly800 after selling. I'm sure I had more details of the omni problem before. Sorry.

You can download the manual from VSE's Poly800 info page.

pworks

Post by pworks » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:38 am

excellent thank you its a bummer that the omni mode cant be bypased might have to let the synth go thanks again for the info

michael stein
Band: S U R V I V E

Post by michael stein » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:17 pm

Get a cheap midi routing box. Keep the Poly 800 on its own port and do what ever with the others.