Has anyone poly chained little phatties???!!!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Has anyone poly chained little phatties???!!!

Post by nadafarms » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:39 am

I am now seeing many cheap used little phattys for like $800 and I'm sitting here staring at my jupiter 4 thinking hmmm, I could get 4 LPs and poly chain them!!!

I'm wondering if anyone has chained 2 or 3 even?

I'm really surprised that Moogmusic doesn't have a single demo that I can find of lets say 5 little ps. in poly mode? I mean it would probably kick some serious a*s and you would think with the stacks of LPS in their shop that they would eventually make a demo. [-o<

I think moogmusic is making a huge mistake not marketing their current polysynth capability and most of all not offering a new rack mount LP? Though I'm very thankful and happy with all their current gear.

I just think they aren't taking advantage of the fact a modern polymoog is basically available right now, I don't think most people even realize or think to poly chains.

So has anyone chained em up yet?
for sale/trade: EML-101

tyrannosaurus mark

Re: Has anyone poly chained little phatties???!!!

Post by tyrannosaurus mark » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:17 am

I remember people talking about this when it was announced in a software update "Polyphony"! But alas you needs to spend tonnes of cash
Moog LP + Casio SK1 and MT-75 + tube amp = good tone.

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: .com, mpc, and a studio full of behringer clones.

Post by wiss » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:21 am

tyrannosaurus mark wrote:I remember people talking about this when it was announced in a software update "Polyphony"! But alas you needs to spend tonnes of cash
I thought it was for the voyager (the poly chain)
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

hyphen nation
Gear: boxes that make noises

Post by hyphen nation » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:59 am

wiss wrote:
tyrannosaurus mark wrote:I remember people talking about this when it was announced in a software update "Polyphony"! But alas you needs to spend tonnes of cash
I thought it was for the voyager (the poly chain)

That's what I remember too...but to be honest, I don't see why they don't do an LP poly chain box, or cards like in a recording console that you can rack...sell us on a proprietary rack...oh...maybe too close to a modular, and they don't seem to like that direction either?

I agree that it is weird that moog hasn't hyped it more, or even put up a demo...I can say, just messing with an LP and a Voyager rack was pretty epic...it's a lot of oscillators...I'd love to hear some new moog polyphony...

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:50 am

moog just needs to get it over with and release a proper polyphonic synth

i like that they have preserved tradition with the voyager OS and new taurus and all, but really, lets see a NEW and original synth please
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by nadafarms » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:51 pm

Word, I think I was mistaken but I could have sworn I saw a pic of a stack of LPs in the moog warehouse that they had hooked up. I thought I had read at some point that LPs could be polychained without a voyager.

I would search the moogmusic website for polychain info but there isn't a search feature for the site! derrr #-o

Buying a used 4 voice little phatty would be cheaper than buying 4 SEMs... you would just need an external highpass filter to philter out some of the phatness.

Moog needs to make a highpass moogerfooger for christsake! All that lowpass is killing me.

And a Taurus Keytar.

And a 6 voice dual oscillator guitar synth!

But really a 6 voice polymoog of the future would SELL A LOT! even at $3000-5000

killanator
Gear: Alesis Quadrasynth, Roland SH-201, Various MIDI things, Samson MediaONE 5a Active Studio Monitors
Band: Solo

Post by killanator » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:54 pm

It is for voyagers and LPs. but it is expensive. if i ever had a frien dhwo had an LP i would surely invite him over and have a duophonic moog for a little bit. i could also see pros doing it(IE, daft punk has 4 voyager racks in their live rig, they could possibly take advantage of that). I personally think moog should do a poly right now, if they arent already.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:27 am

nadafarms wrote:But really a 6 voice polymoog of the future would SELL A LOT! even at $3000-5000
Well a one-voice Voyager sells for $3000, so I doubt you'll be seeing a 6 voice for the same price. Because the Moog stuff is discrete when you multiply voices you multiply a lot of circuitry which multiplies the costs. I think they could put together a 6 voice with the same kind of interface/sound generation as the LP and a five octave keyboard and have it selling for $4000-$5000, but I think that would do to Moog what the MemoryMoog did in the 80's, particularly given the current economic climate.

CJ the noisemaker
Gear: Novation X Station 49
Korg Poly 61M
Band: Hokago Family Band

Post by CJ the noisemaker » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:04 am

What Moog Music should make is a polyphonic synthesizer, 6-8 voices. However, as with normal polysynths have two oscillators, one filter, one amp, and two EG's per voice, Moog makes a Voyager with 3 SSM oscillators, one low-pass filter, one amp, and 2 SSM EG's per voice. Where it gets complex and expensive is around the Modulation busses. Instead of having one set per voice, it will have one set per synth. So at the same time, it can still be modular capable But every voice would have to sound alike, Thus individual timbre per voice is no longer available.

That may lower the price on the synth, and instead of using an all-wood frame, they can build it out of aluminum with some mahogany ends.
Being that you can do so many things with it [the synthesizer]... you can make sounds bigger than life.
-Stevie Wonder

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:24 am

If you had of said "Make the mod busses software" I'd agree, but not having per-voice modulation rules out being able to split the keyboard, layer voices or make good pads. You can still have modular capabilities with a software mod buss, just have a couple of assignable CV inputs like the Evolver keyboards do.

It's still gonna happen with the economy how it is now though, ebay synth prices have already stated to come down.

CJ the noisemaker
Korg Poly 61M

Post by CJ the noisemaker » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:40 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:If you had of said "Make the mod busses software" I'd agree, but not having per-voice modulation rules out being able to split the keyboard, layer voices or make good pads. You can still have modular capabilities with a software mod buss, just have a couple of assignable CV inputs like the Evolver keyboards do.
Ok, the idea of having software mod busses is good, I didn't even think of that.
Being that you can do so many things with it [the synthesizer]... you can make sounds bigger than life.
-Stevie Wonder

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:42 am

I'd be thinking software mod buss, LFOs and Envelopes, and just have an analogue signal path. Processors these days are fast enough that you wouldn't hear any lagging and if people are that picky about software envelopes being too slow for bass then they should just buy a LP or Voyager for that.

This is all starting to sound a lot like the P08 now isn't it? :) With discrete analogue electronics and Moog build quality/finish (and sound!) it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to think that some people would pay twice what the P08 goes for for it. But it'd be competing really hard with the P08 and A6 and it wouldn't be able to beat either on price or polyphony, so it would be a real luxury item. And bringing a new luxury item onto the market at the moment would be a risky venture...

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:47 am

A polyphonic Moog in this day and age? Aren't you people content with both the Prophet-08 and Andromeda A6?! :shock:

If I needed a modern, polyphonic, analogue synth I'd take the Prophet-08 in a heartbeat.

CJ the noisemaker
Korg Poly 61M

Post by CJ the noisemaker » Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:54 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:But it'd be competing really hard with the P08 and A6 and it wouldn't be able to beat either on price or polyphony, so it would be a real luxury item. And bringing a new luxury item onto the market at the moment would be a risky venture...
I think the DSI Poly Evolver was the luxury item earlier this year (half the polyphony of the P'08), but I seen the price of the A6 and it's not really a bargin. So if Moog really came out with a polysynth, they would have to fight fire with fire. And I mean utilize surface-mount technology, software modulation, and beef up the polyphony... then maybe we would be able to see a good competitor market.

Who knows, when the time comes, Moog may do exactly what I just said :D
-Stevie Wonder

nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by nadafarms » Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:45 am

Many people including myself don't think either the andromeda or the prophet 08 are all that vintage/raw/analog sounding even though they are both great machines.

Truth is neither sound all that vintage but a 5-6 voice little phatty would. Even 4 little phatties would be one killer sounding 4 voice synth and if you bought them all used it wouldn't be too insane. Cheaper than a SEM 4 voice?

So I guess no one really has polied them up...? even 2?