Synths and Drum Machine in 'The Chauffeur

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
desmond

Re: Synths and Drum Machine in 'The Chauffeur

Post by desmond » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:36 pm

No, the SH-2 doesn't sound like the 101, or vice versa.

I think the SH2 is related to the JP4 voice, and it's a darker, thicker meatier sound than the SH-101, which is more plastic-ey. I actually think the SH2 sounds fabulous, and was never much of a fan of the (once-)budget SH-101, much beloved by many now...

80snostalgia

Post by 80snostalgia » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:50 am

desmond wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:36 pm
No, the SH-2 doesn't sound like the 101, or vice versa.

I think the SH2 is related to the JP4 voice, and it's a darker, thicker meatier sound than the SH-101, which is more plastic-ey. I actually think the SH2 sounds fabulous, and was never much of a fan of the (once-)budget SH-101, much beloved by many now...
Thanks for your advice or I could have nearly bought a Boutique SH-01a thinking it would replicate the SH-2.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:02 pm

Don't get too hung about a particular synth just because of what you heard on a few recordings. Don't forget that a lot of the artists ditched those instruments when something better came along. Make sure it can do a lot of different things that you just can't get from other instruments before you go spend $$$$$$ on buying and maintaining a vintage piece.

Good luck with your search.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.