Duran Duran & Arcadia: Guess the synths

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Duran Duran & Arcadia: Guess the synths

Post by Micke » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:59 pm

Hi guys,

For this quiz I've concentrated on songs by Duran Duran and Arcadia and all you have to do is to try figuring out what synths were used for the following parts:

1. Planet Earth - sequenced part?

2. The Flame (Arcadia) - brass?

3. Is There Something I Should Know - rhythmic/pulse part ?

4. Sound Of Thunder - sequenced part & harmonic solo line/pad (appearing at 2:20)?

5. Anyone Out there - strings ?

6. Tel Aviv - spacey background pads/textures?

7. Hold back the rain - sequenced part?

8. Friends Of Mine - helicopter sounds & Farfisa-type organ sounds?

9. New Religion - intro textures/pad ?

10.The Promise (Arcadia) - low pads & flutey solo sound in the middle?

cheers,
Micke
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

ronP
Gear: BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO MT-70; KORG EA-1 mkII, MicroKorg, microSTATION, MicroX, Mini-KP, Monotron; ROLAND Micro Cube; ZOOM FS01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B
Band: Keyfish

Re: Duran Duran & Arcadia: Guess the synths

Post by ronP » Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:11 pm

oo

Hi, Micke. Here are my educated guesses . . .

1) Roland Jupiter 4

2) Roland Jupiter 8

3) Fairlight CMI

4) Roland Jupiter 4

5) Crumar Performer

6) SCI Prophet 5

7) Roland SH-02 combined with an analog sequencer of some sort

8 ) SCI Prophet 5

9) Roland Jupiter 8

10 ) Fairlight CMI

:)

oo
BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO Casiotone MT-70; KORG Electribe EA-1mkII, microKORG, mini-KP; QUIKLOK T20 T-REX Series X;
ROLAND Micro-CUBE; YAMAHA PSS130, PSS140; ZOOM FS-01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B

Wanted: BOSS DR-110; CASIO CZ-101; YAMAHA CS-01, DX-100

iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Prophet-5, Prophet VS, Pro-One, Moog Prodigy, ARP Axxe, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50
Band: ArtWithHeart

Post by iProg » Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:00 pm

My favorite band!

Let's see...

1. JP-4
2. JP-8 or JP-6
3. Fairlight CMI
4. JP-4
5. Crumar Performer
6. Prophet-5
7. SH-2
8. Not sure, maybe Prophet-5
9. JP-8
10. Fairlight CMI

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:01 pm

Thanks for your answers, iProg and ronP :)

With only two contestants so far I really see no point of continuing with the contest. I thought this thread
would attract more attention but alas....

Anyways, iProg and ronP: I'll PM you the correct answers

Micke
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:15 pm

I suppose most of us have only heard the hits..and this album contains no songs I've ever heard of..

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:17 pm

The songs listed above aren't from one single album, they're from three different albums: Duran Duran (1981), Rio (1982), and So Red The Rose (Arcadia, 1985). I reckon alot of folks on here aren't familiar with this last one however the other ones should be (fairly) familiar to most synth-aficionados I think. Oh well.

Do you mean to say you haven't heard DD's first two albums or are you referring to the album by Arcadia?

DX

Post by DX » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:29 pm

Hey.
I know I am a little bit lazy. I've got Arcadia album on Vinyl but have not connected my turntable :(. I don't hear that album long time ago so I don't remember well the sound of that songs.

The only ones I recall from memory are:

3: Jupiter 8
9: jupiter 8.

Not a good answer, but less is nothing ! :D

Cheers.
DX
Roland Promars, E-mu EMAX and some other machines...

DX

Post by DX » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:45 pm

Update:
God bless youtube!. I could recall that songs. But the only I got is:

1: Prophet 5
2: Jupiter 4
3: Jupiter 8
5: Prophet 5
9: jupiter 8.
Roland Promars, E-mu EMAX and some other machines...

voicedood

Post by voicedood » Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:44 pm

aw jeez, micke..

as one of the biggest duranimals on this forum, and knowing Nick's rig from the early days, i'm embarassed to say that i'm answering almost purely by guessing..

1. jupiter 4
2. jupiter 8
3. jupiter 8
4. Prophet 5
5. Crumar Performer
6. jupiter 4
7. SH2
8. Jupiter 4
9. Jupiter 8
10. Fairlight
Chronologically speaking: Performer, Prophet 5, SH2, Juno 60, Jupiter 8, OB8, CZ 101, Emax II, Sirius, MEK

dracena
Gear: 2cabinet 100m,Source, MS20, sh09, JP8, OB8,OBSX,106,Performer,DX7, DX21,FB01,CZ101,Maestro, MC4,
909,707,626,Drumtraks,dr110,kpr77

Post by dracena » Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:17 pm

I liked Duran in the 80s as a kid a lot but I don't have any of their records so my my guesses come mostly from watching youtube...
Here is my guess:

1 - Prophet5
2 - Emulator II (or possibly Fairlight CMI)
3 - Jupiter8
4 - Jupiter4
5 - Crumar Performer
6 - Prophet5
7 - Jupiter4 (why is everybody saying sh2??)
8 - Jupiter4 :D again :wink:
9 - PPG wave (or some other PPG) strings come from Crumar Performer for sure
10 - Emulator II (or possibly Fairlight CMI)

ashton

Post by ashton » Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:44 pm

Nick has used the P5, JP8 and Crumar Performer on just about every album since Rio. The JP8 replaced his use of synths like the SH2 and JP4 though I read that he repurchased a WASP and a JP4 when he worked on Medazzleland as well as his first Synthex (never really worked though had trouble with it's stability). He phased out he JP8 on tour b/c he didn't want to risk it due to the age of his JP8's and the fact that they're hard to replace. He's using the JP8 in the studio still as well as the V-Synth and the Andromeda (mostly for P5 and Crumar string synth style sounds). As long as his JP8's work he'll use it on a recording as will Howard Jones who also considers it his favorite synth of all time.

On tour he uses 1 V-Synth as a midi controller for a couple of Akai S6000's that run samples of JP8, P5, and other vintage sounds. He still uses the Kurzweil K2000 (which I think it's great b/c that version of the K's had noisier but much warmer DAC's, he's never programmed it from what I've read though, Mark Tinley got him into the K2000 and was his programmer for several years). The K2000 is used more for playback of his studio work with the Fairlight and other digital synths. There is also another V-Synth that's actually playing V-Synth sounds and the Andromeda (which you will hear live doing the sequences of Save A Pray. The Microkorg is used only for the vocoding parts, e.g. on Wildboys and The Reflex. He only uses external effects and those are BOSS Pedals. Though I'm sure he likely uses some internal effects on the V-Synth.

On the Arcadia album he was using the P5, JP8, Cummar Performer, Fairlight, and he used the Korg DW8000 quite a bit on that album. He replaced the Fairlight on tour for Notorious with a Roland S5000 and he also added the Roland JX12.

So you will see the occasional digital synth pop up over the years. He's used the Roland JD800 over the years as well, and you can see him playing a JD800 in the studio on the recording of Falling Down. He also likes to pull out the Korg Trinity now and then for strings and pads too.

Nick does like him some knobs and sliders but then again don't we all eh? Aria remade John Taylors Pro II (his fav bass) as a signature line just before the reunion tour. I keep hoping Roland comes to their senses and moves the JP8 into the future since it's apparant that they would sell. And if anyone at Roland doubts that they need to wake up to the reality that we all want that killer analog poly and the JP8 is considered by most as the most complete analog poly performance synth ever made. No disrespect to the Andy, it's a great synth and versatile synth but it's not a JP8.

Dave Smith is doing well with the P8.
There are rumours around that one of the major designers of the Andromeda has been rehired by Alesis.
And Tom Oberheim is in the process of designing a new version of the original SEM synth.

Analog synths are and were great because they are unique instruments. Software has its place and hardware samplers still have their uses on tour (Depeche Mode's last tour used Apple G5's for most of the sounds, but there were still several Akai S6000's in waiting just in case).

One thing I love about Nick Rhodes is that he uses his synths to the fullest rather than jumping to the next thing on the shelf everytime something new comes out. I'm sure he's always aware of the latest and greatest but it's great that he continues to work with synths he's had for over 20 years. I guess gone are the days when a JP8 and a Fairlight were enough for some. LOL!

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:02 pm

OK guys, I reckon it's time to put and end to this quiz.

I just realized that 4, 8 and 10 should have been "A/B" questions since there are two answers to those questions, my bad.

Here are the correct answers:

1. Planet Earth - sequenced part? Prophet 5

2. The Flame (Arcadia) - brass? Fairlight CMI

3. Is There Something I Should Know - rhythmic/pulse part ? Jupiter-8

4. Sound Of Thunder - sequenced part & harmonic solo line/pad (appearing at 2:20)?
Prophet 5 (seq part & pad) Roland guitar synth (solo line)

5. Anyone Out there - strings ? Crumar Performer

6. Tel Aviv - spacey background pads/textures? Prophet 5

7. Hold back the rain - sequenced part? Roland SH-2/CSQ-100

8. Friends Of Mine - helicopter sounds & Farfisa-type organ sounds?
Prophet 5 (helicopter sound), Jupiter-4 (Farfisa-type organ sound)

9. New Religion - intro textures/pad ? Prophet 5

10.The Promise (Arcadia) - low pads & flutey solo sound in the middle?
??? (Low pads) Fairlight CMI (flute sound)

I actually don't know what Nick used for the low pads, but possibly Fairlight strings layered with Jup-8 or Prophet 5.
Anyway, Nick does mention in interview published in the Feb 1986 issue of Keyboard that he had his Jup-8 and Prophet MIDIed during the course
of the album (So Red The Rose), and that he thinks one of the greatest uses of MIDI is to mix digital and analog together.

Looks like Dracena is the winner of my quiz (again!)

Congratulations =D>
Last edited by Micke on Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Prophet-5, Prophet VS, Pro-One, Moog Prodigy, ARP Axxe, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50
Band: ArtWithHeart

Post by iProg » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:37 pm

Nick Rhodes, a fine man and my biggest influence. He's got taste.

dracena
Gear: 2cabinet 100m,Source, MS20, sh09, JP8, OB8,OBSX,106,Performer,DX7, DX21,FB01,CZ101,Maestro, MC4,
909,707,626,Drumtraks,dr110,kpr77

Post by dracena » Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:04 am

Micke wrote: Looks like Dracena is the winner of my quiz (again!)

Congratulations =D>
yeepeeeee :D

I didn't know for all the synths that Nick used just what I recognised from youtube.
I quite liked early 80s Duran especially Girls on Film, Planet Earth, Hungry Like a Wolf and others... But at that time i was more into Depeche Mode.
Thanks for this thread Micke :thumbright: it was nice to listen to the songs again and finding out what synths were used.

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Post by Pro5 » Sun May 20, 2018 12:12 am

@Micke

Sorry for this mega necro bump, but if anyone will know it's you...

talking of Tel Aviv, do you know what synth is doing the D - A - D repeated metallic riff throughout the entire song (and starts it), I'm thinking it's probably prophet 5 as my Polysix got close in unison mode, but could be JP-4 perhaps

if it's SH-2.. cool cos I have one here (and a Crumar Performer), but something about the tone screams prophet 5 to me (very atmospheric and machine like)

Also the repeating 'alarm like' rounded tone that comes in at 30 seconds on 'Friends of mine' (JP4? with arp on?)

The mix of these synths on that first album are a textbook display of great synth sounds mixing together. Prophet 5, SH-2, JP-4 and Crumar Performer! It's "all" you need, clearly!