Eurythmics

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Steve Jones

Re: Eurythmics

Post by Steve Jones » Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:52 am

Cam VanDerHorst wrote:
iamrcb wrote:I used to work for a guy that bought Dave Stewart's old E-MU Emulator II. Paid a fortune for it and I don't think he ever used it

Same story with the rolling stone's stuff, original dalek etc
I tried to buy the ex-Simple Minds Emulator II that was being advertised on here several months ago. Sort of glad the bloke never got back to me because I'm really happy with the other gear I bought instead. I'd still like to have a synthesizer, sampler, or drum machine with some pedigree at some point, though.
Hah! that machine has been around. It was for sale in the 90's at the turnkey shop in London, with a bunch of disks, I was touring with another act and I almost bought it, but decided not too in the end.

The band that I work with has 2 of them, we don't tour them anymore, too unreliable. We used to call them the Seeyoulators.

akira_smith
Band: Perfect Kiss

Post by akira_smith » Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:52 am

that movement drum computer looks sick....
wow.

anyone know of any samples of it??
anything synthesized

Johnny Lenin
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: JX8P | AX60 | Little Phatty Stage II | DW8000 | Vox Jag | Fantom X6 | Juno-G | P-Bass | AS-120 | Double Jet

Post by Johnny Lenin » Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:59 pm

Micke wrote:Movement MCS Percussion Computer (MkI, 1981)
Totally cool. I have been wondering what weird computer thing Dave Stewart was tapping at in the Sweet Dreams video for the last 26 years...

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:10 pm

nathanscribe wrote:That looks amazing. Micke, do you have any more info about that machine?
No I don't have much info on the mk I, however there's a review of the mk2 version in an '83 issue of E&MM and I think waveterm might have a copy of that article. Waveterm?

The same people who built the Movement drum machines also came out with a monophonic sampling keyboard called The Mimic. This machine was used by Thompson Twins, eg on the album "Into The Gap".

Micke
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

waveterm
Gear: A lot more than you

Post by waveterm » Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:08 pm

Yes I have a scan of the review in IMRC. I can email it to anyone interested. Personally I think the mk2 is the s**t ! It is orange and would go well next to my XTk !

WT
Just a guy with a bunch of blue things.......now, move on !

akira_smith
Band: Perfect Kiss

Post by akira_smith » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:55 am

guessing no one has samples of it.
:shock:
anything synthesized

iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Prophet-5, Prophet VS, Pro-One, Moog Prodigy, ARP Axxe, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50
Band: ArtWithHeart

Post by iProg » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:23 am

Steve Jones wrote:
Cam VanDerHorst wrote:
iamrcb wrote:I used to work for a guy that bought Dave Stewart's old E-MU Emulator II. Paid a fortune for it and I don't think he ever used it

Same story with the rolling stone's stuff, original dalek etc
I tried to buy the ex-Simple Minds Emulator II that was being advertised on here several months ago. Sort of glad the bloke never got back to me because I'm really happy with the other gear I bought instead. I'd still like to have a synthesizer, sampler, or drum machine with some pedigree at some point, though.
Hah! that machine has been around. It was for sale in the 90's at the turnkey shop in London, with a bunch of disks, I was touring with another act and I almost bought it, but decided not too in the end.

The band that I work with has 2 of them, we don't tour them anymore, too unreliable. We used to call them the Seeyoulators.
Hahaha! Awesome!

Annie has a great voice! Haven't heard much more than their radio hit songs... There Must Be An Angel is fantastic!

calyx93
Gear: PPG Wave 2.2, Waldorf μWave x3, Roland JP6+V-Synth, SCI P5+600, Ensoniq SQ-80, Kawai K-3

Post by calyx93 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:41 pm

Micke wrote:
nathanscribe wrote:That looks amazing. Micke, do you have any more info about that machine?
No I don't have much info on the mk I, however there's a review of the mk2 version in an '83 issue of E&MM and I think waveterm might have a copy of that article. Waveterm?

The same people who built the Movement drum machines also came out with a monophonic sampling keyboard called The Mimic. This machine was used by Thompson Twins, eg on the album "Into The Gap".

Micke
Coil also used the Mimic sampler in their early years - appeared on Scatology. Here's an old Vemia listing for one.

http://www.spheremusic.com/Bargaindtl.asp?Item=4230
“I have stretched ropes from steeple to steeple; garlands from window to window; golden chains from star to star, and I dance.” - Rimbaud

JMP
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by JMP » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:37 pm

Cam VanDerHorst wrote:I tried to buy the ex-Simple Minds Emulator II that was being advertised on here several months ago. Sort of glad the bloke never got back to me because I'm really happy with the other gear I bought instead. I'd still like to have a synthesizer, sampler, or drum machine with some pedigree at some point, though.
Its back up for sale on SOS UK:

http://www.soundonsound.com/readersads/ ... .php?Cat=1

Nice signature line BTW... New Order I believe :)

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:51 pm

From somewhere on Power, Corruption & Lies, isn't it, John?

JMP
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by JMP » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:25 pm

nathanscribe wrote:From somewhere on Power, Corruption & Lies, isn't it, John?
'Your Silent Face'. Great track. :)

Erm, sorry to be OT.... right, Eurythmics yes?

waveterm
Gear: A lot more than you

Post by waveterm » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:44 pm

For your pleasure !!!

No, it is not mine........

:( :( :( :( :(

WT
Just a guy with a bunch of blue things.......now, move on !

Cam VanDerHorst
Gear: Roland JV-80, Reason 4, Moog Little Phatty Stage II, KORG DS-10

Post by Cam VanDerHorst » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:24 am

JMP wrote:
nathanscribe wrote:From somewhere on Power, Corruption & Lies, isn't it, John?
'Your Silent Face'. Great track. :)
Quite. All of these little goth/emo tossers running around at Hot Topic have no idea what "dark, moody, depressing lyrics" really are. I put that in my sig after a recent disagreement with one of our "more established" members.

I love New Order, they're my third favorite band. The long version of "Thieves Like Us" is what started this whole synthesizer/show biz mess for me. What a gorgeous track!

I love the fact that that Movement is just sitting on the counter of some little independent shop. Gives all of us a little hope, eh? :D
Roland JV-80, Reason 4, Moog Little Phatty Stage II #SE04074, KORG DS-10
http://metarract.blogspot.com/
You've caught me at a bad bad time, so why don't you piss off.

lhm1138

Post by lhm1138 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:09 am

It was SH-2, though they did have other SHs as well.

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:27 pm

The only Roland SH-synths I'm aware of being used by Eurythmics back in the day are the SH-09 and SH-101. Dave loved the SH-09 and used it on a lot of recordings with Eurythmics.
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979