prince synth brass sound

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
pillson

prince synth brass sound

Post by pillson » Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:34 pm

hi folks,
my band wants to cover some prince 80's songs
so my question is i'm the keyboard player
and i have yamaha mo6 workstation
now i need to know if prince used any effect on his synth brass sound
or how can i emulate this sound with mo6 thanks a lot

Leeroy Jenkins

Re: prince synth brass sound

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:13 am

Purchase an Oberheim OB-8 and you will have every Prince sound ever created at your fingertips.

nvbrkr
Gear: An electric piano and analog synths.

Post by nvbrkr » Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:54 am

- it´s indeed the Oberheim sound, so you´re always going to fall short on digital emulations (I´m guessing you´re referring to stuff from 1981-85 etc.). I guess you could always try to replicate those sounds on the OP-X plugin first - there´s a ten day functional demo - and see what it takes to craft similar patches. My personal opinion is just that any digital emulation of those things just doesn´t cut it, as best exhibited by Prince´s own synth sounds of today (the "3121" album etc.) - or what his keyboard player has more recently been using live to replicate the classic lines (Nord 2, I think).

The synth sounds associated with the "minneapolis sound" are very basic and there´s not usually even much filter action going on. So one just needs a strong basic source and that´s usually it - if you´re happy with less than the authentic deal, then it´s fine by all means to use a digital board. It´s just always going to be a different vibe, I think.

As far as I can tell, most of the "horn" stuff didn´t have a huge amount of effects on them. Prince usually either used shitloads of reverb, or basically none at all. There might have been some chorus there too, although some synth units have a more "chorused" sound than others so it´s hard to tell. He was never himself an analog purist or that interested in programming though, it had more to do with what was available during those days.

celebutante

Post by celebutante » Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:49 am

Actually the trick to Prince brass sounds isn't so easy to pull off live- he overdubbed like crazy using different inversions and layers, and probably changing up the patches a little too. 1999 is a perfect example of this. That's why it's often really hard to pick out the exact inversions- it's a bunch of 'em mixed together.

Mitchell
synthesizers.com modular • Sequential Prophet-5 • Roland Jupiter-4 • Korg Delta • Oberheim SEM • Ensoniq SQ-80 • Korg MS-20 • Moog Minimoog • Yamaha CS-15 • Cordovox/Moog "White Elephant"

http://www.mitchellsigman.com
http://www.celebusite.com

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:31 am

I seem to recall reading an interview with his bass player where he mentioned there was a bit of organ that overdubbed with the oberheim as well.

as celebutante mentioned, the trick is the chord inversions and layering.

princefan3

Post by princefan3 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:02 pm

hi pilson..i actually emailed paul peterson from (the time) keyboard player...and he actually emailed back this

i used an OB-8 when i got in the band...i believe they used an OBX-A as well as an arp for strings.

ive often sort this sound,with no luck..i tried a matrix 1000 but the attack is just not fast enough.

the price of an obie is way outta my league now...im still considering renting one..or go opx software..

its a lovely funky warble sound...i dont think youll get it any other way...try to keep the topic up

as im dead interested in other comments on this, as the administrators know already.

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:04 am

princefan3 wrote:hi pilson..i actually emailed paul peterson from (the time) keyboard player...and he actually emailed back this

i used an OB-8 when i got in the band...i believe they used an OBX-A as well as an arp for strings.

ive often sort this sound,with no luck..i tried a matrix 1000 but the attack is just not fast enough.

the price of an obie is way outta my league now...im still considering renting one..or go opx software..

its a lovely funky warble sound...i dont think youll get it any other way...try to keep the topic up

as im dead interested in other comments on this, as the administrators know already.
I want to hear how you speak. I mean, this text right here, this is golden dude, just f**k outstanding. =D>
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

braincandy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by braincandy » Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:36 pm

I think we should consult princefans 1 and 2 and see what they have to say about it. They would probably know.
Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster | Squier CV Duo-Sonic | e6400 Ultra | Blofeld | a bunch of effects

Jack Spider
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Gear: -
Bit One
Boss DR-220
Boss DR-660
DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard
Korg LP-10
Roland XP-50
Yamaha QX21

Post by Jack Spider » Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:30 pm

Pillson - I noticed that you are also registered as 'Shai'. Could you let me know which account you want to keep and I'll disable the other as users are only allowed one account on VSE.
I didn't get where I am today by posting on internet forums.
http://www.myspace.com/thegreenalsatian
http://www.soundclick.com/greenalsatian

princefan3

Post by princefan3 » Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:27 pm

ah yet again ...mr tallowwaters....ever been done for stalking..? [-X

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:46 pm

Jack Spider wrote:Pillson - I noticed that you are also registered as 'Shai'. Could you let me know which account you want to keep and I'll disable the other as users are only allowed one account on VSE.
I already banned one, or maybe both. Just to make things more interesting, I am not saying which. ;)
princefan3 wrote:ah yet again ...mr tallowwaters....ever been done for stalking..? [-X
What's that, son? Speak up, quit mumbling and stuttering into your shirt collar, and enunciate your words.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

Jack Spider
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Gear: -
Bit One
Boss DR-220
Boss DR-660
DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard
Korg LP-10
Roland XP-50
Yamaha QX21

Post by Jack Spider » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:57 am

princefan3 wrote:ah yet again
Pretty much the thoughts that spring to mind every time you ask this question! And every time, people have answered it. Please, Princefan - do a bit of research yourself, eh? That's the spirit.
I didn't get where I am today by posting on internet forums.
http://www.myspace.com/thegreenalsatian
http://www.soundclick.com/greenalsatian