roland d-110... confuse mode

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
8bit9bot
No Longer Registered

roland d-110... confuse mode

Post by 8bit9bot » Thu Dec 25, 2008 6:09 am

i just got a roland d-110... im so confused - the hierchy of editing is... patch, timbre, tone, partial? i know atleast the last 3 are in that order... but patches... how do they relate to timbres? and why are they saved seperately from timbres? it seems to me they could just be merged and my life would be easier - so why did roland make them seperate?

is there a good windows d-110 editor/librarian?

i knew the d-110 would be atleast as hard to program as the d-550 (i used to have one) and i knew it would share similarities to the mt-32 (i also had one of those) - but this thing is straight up confusing - any one out there who knows their way around w/ this thing? it sounds great (the presets suck but i made some good "tones" menu diving) - but its so confusing, and i dont want to spend hours making a bunch of sounds if i cant figure out how they're saved and organized

Synthaholic
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Motif XS6, TX802, D-550, A6

Re: roland d-110... confuse mode

Post by Synthaholic » Thu Dec 25, 2008 6:40 pm

The hierarchy is, from highest to lowest: patch, timbre, tone, partial.

Timbres are separate from patches because, you combine timbres to make a multi-timberal patch.

The D-50/550 lacked "timbres", simply having patches, tones, and partials, since it wasn't multitimberal (well, it could be bi-timberal by assigning a patches' 2 tones to different MIDI channels). But its hierarchy is similar.
Two VCO: thanks to the push rods, one can choose several forms of waves at the same time!
(from a Babelfish translation of a Jupiter-6 site)

Yamaha: Motif XS6, TX802 Roland: D-550 Alesis: A6 Andromeda

rockmanrock

Post by rockmanrock » Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:43 am

Just got hold of one of these, tricky little bugger but I think it's do-able with some practice.

Quite pleased with the sound of it, it's a sort of plasticky version of analogue - can definitely hear relations to the Yamaha DX and Casio CZ sound.

Didn't realise how limited it is with modulation though, no LFO to Pulse Width! Still capable of some very lush sounds, the Soundtrack preset is sublime and the later Roland emulations (e.g. on my XV2020) pale in comparison. No nasty top-end to it either like the XV, that can really grate.

8bit9bot
No Longer Registered

Post by 8bit9bot » Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:12 am

when i save a timbre... what is being saved? and how do i recall it?

when i save a patch... im pretty sure the reverb settings are saved and which timbres are assigned to each part is saved - whats the relation between patches, timbres, and tones - mainly i dont understand what the difference is between a timbre and a tone - i understand each tone is made up of 4 partials... and then... each timbre is made up of... one tone?

this synth is starting to annoy me... i just want to understand what im saving and how to recall it

as far as editing each tone goes... its cake... sure the 2 line LCD display is kinda limited but the concepts are all really easy to understand - but once you step above tones i get confused - its all the multi-timbral functions that make me confused - the roland d-550 was much easier

basically what i need to know is... when i save a patch what parameters are being saved? when i save a timbre what parameters are being saved? and im pretty sure i understand what parameters are being saved in a tone... but if theres any suprises plz someone explain

thx

skarabrae
Gear: Juno D, D10+Matrix 6R, Alpha Juno + DX21, Micro Q, D110, TG55 + Proteus1, Arturia MiniMoogV on G3, Axiom Controller, CS01 ...
Band: Umbra (solo work)

Post by skarabrae » Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:59 am

I'm not fond this unit for the same reasons, but found that when I marry it to another synth and blend the sounds, it works fine for me just using the preset timbres. Sometimes I add a Virtualizer multi-FX unit to the mix, and it sounds pretty nice ...

I'll be watching ... I could use some answers to the same questions you have.

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:35 am

skarabrae wrote:marry it to another synth and blend the sounds
Always like view both my D-110 and U-220 as some kind of the Big D simpler, multitimbral expander which blend nicely.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

8bit9bot
No Longer Registered

Post by 8bit9bot » Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:09 am

well... i made some tones today - that part is pretty easy... but im still working on figuring out the timbres and patches - anyhow these are better than the presets... im not really very good at improvising on keyboard tho so just try to ignore that - my 4 tones demo mp3: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LBRSBNSB - i would have uploaded it to my webhost but its been acting funny lately

i didnt use any PCM in these tones... each one only uses 2 partials - the trick to faking chorus is taking advantage of the seperate pitch LFOs and pitch envs for each partial

8bit9bot
No Longer Registered

Post by 8bit9bot » Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:20 pm

ok... think i pretty much understand how everything works now - here are some tips i have for now and i will write a more in depth "confusion clearing" guide

..Patches are saved P-01 thru P-88
..Patch saving includes Patch, Part, and Rhythm Parameters
..Timbres are saved I-Axx, I-Bxx (upper case)
..Tones are saved i-xx (lower case)
..Preset Tones a-xx, b-xx are not erasable
..There are 3 Part Buttons: part (left), part up, and part down

princefan3

Post by princefan3 » Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:28 pm

throw it in the f**k bin mate..there that usefull..

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Yoozer » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:32 am

8bit9bot wrote:well... i made some tones today - that part is pretty easy... but im still working on figuring out the timbres and patches - anyhow these are better than the presets... im not really very good at improvising on keyboard tho so just try to ignore that - my 4 tones demo mp3: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LBRSBNSB - i would have uploaded it to my webhost but its been acting funny lately

i didnt use any PCM in these tones... each one only uses 2 partials - the trick to faking chorus is taking advantage of the seperate pitch LFOs and pitch envs for each partial
Oh, that's pretty neat - love the sound at 1:13 and on.
princefan3 wrote:throw it in the f**k bin mate..there that usefull..
... very much like your post. :roll:
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.