DSI Evolver (desktop) Question

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Gregor Samsa
Gear: Too much (not enough).

DSI Evolver (desktop) Question

Post by Gregor Samsa » Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:24 pm

I like the overall sound of this synth from what I've heard (pretty beefy sound it seems), but all I ever see people doing with it are arpeggiated spacey lines and assorted weirdness. Does it do good leads and basses, or is it just a bizzarre atmospheric synth? From what I am hearing pads seem out of the question? I've got some synths already that do assorted weirdness, so I don't want to duplicate.

aredj
Gear: A little bit of E-muAccessJomoxKorg -
Spectralis2!

Re: DSI Evolver (desktop) Question

Post by aredj » Thu Dec 25, 2008 6:33 pm

The devo is after all, a subtractive synth... with tonnes of mods

Which means you can be as simple or as complicated as you feel...Straight up basses and leads are quite do-able

I've heard alot of people here say they love it for pads... I personally like to make pads on poly machines...

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:05 pm

Gregor Samsa wrote:I like the overall sound of this synth from what I've heard (pretty beefy sound it seems), but all I ever see people doing with it are arpeggiated spacey lines and assorted weirdness. Does it do good leads and basses, or is it just a bizzarre atmospheric synth? From what I am hearing pads seem out of the question? I've got some synths already that do assorted weirdness, so I don't want to duplicate.
The evolver's brand of cutting lead weirdness will perfectly complement the twinkly organic weirdness of your fizmo.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

Gregor Samsa
Gear: Too much (not enough).

Post by Gregor Samsa » Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:51 pm

perfect! Thanks, guys.

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:52 am

Gregor Samsa wrote:Does it do good leads and basses
Yes, mainly the hybrid one which mostly hard to emulate precisely on other synth. But it would also do some nice analog bass and lead as well, even the mopho seems to be nicer on that.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

tallowwaters

Re:

Post by tallowwaters » Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:26 pm

crystalmsc wrote:
Gregor Samsa wrote:Does it do good leads and basses
Yes, mainly the hybrid one which mostly hard to emulate precisely on other synth. But it would also do some nice analog bass and lead as well, even the mopho seems to be nicer on that.
Do tell, what experience are you basing this on? Internet demos or the fact that it is yellow? :roll:

lhm1138

Post by lhm1138 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:46 am

[youtube][/youtube]

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x

Post by crystalmsc » Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:29 am

Did you read the words "seems to be". Read better first before asking. I didn't have to f**k own all the analog s**t made mainly for that by DSI that I feel could be better than something analog with a digital path that I own, just for a very logical personal opinion.

small blue dot
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by small blue dot » Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:09 am

The evolver is great at doing atmospheric stuff and you got to love the sequencer. When programming it I had a tendency to go weird. I mean there is just so much modulation capability and the effects and sequencer just make it a "kid in a candy store" synth. However it can do bass and leads. I think the mopho has a deeper and more cutting sound (and the sub gens) and thus is better at bass and leads but it obviously lacks the digital side and the effects of the evolver. I guess what I'm saying is that if you're mainly after bass and leads go for a mopho or little phatty. If you want a great atmospheric to crazy experimental synth that can do suitable bass and interesting leads get the evolver but that's just my opinion.

Before anyone asks why I'm using this name again... I was just checking my messages on this one and posted before realizing it. :)
a master of karate and friendship for everyone

clubbedtodeath
No Longer Registered

Re:

Post by clubbedtodeath » Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:02 am

crystalmsc wrote:Did you read the words "seems to be". Read better first before asking.
Give it a break, chump.

If you're offering up advice on equipment you don't own or have spent any quality time with, then the rules are very clear :
Offering 'Advice' - don't advise on instruments that you haven't owned, or used to some extent.
Many people come to VSE for advice when considering a purchase: they don't need bad advice. You might be trying to be helpful, but bad advice could result in someone buying the wrong instrument -- and wasting their money.
Heed these words, and heed them well.
:thumbright:

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by crystalmsc » Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:20 am

Well, I'm actually not offering, but if it sounds like that, OK..fine. Happy New Year.

tallowwaters

Re:

Post by tallowwaters » Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:57 am

crystalmsc wrote:Did you read the words "seems to be". Read better first before asking. I didn't have to f**k own all the analog s**t made mainly for that by DSI that I feel could be better than something analog with a digital path that I own, just for a very logical personal opinion.
Okay dipshit, put a sig under your name that says "please accept my opinion as invalid"
Of course, you poor a*s linguistic skills already serve that purpose, I suppose.

Don't worry. It only seems like I am being an overbearing dickhead right now. :roll:

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by crystalmsc » Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:18 am

tallowwaters wrote:I am being an overbearing dickhead
Yes you are and watch that sharp tongue wise a*s.

Huppo
Gear: V-synth, broken Fusion 6HD, HPD10, MP-7, 60+ guitars, etc.
Band: naught

Re:

Post by Huppo » Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:03 pm

crystalmsc wrote:Did you read the words "seems to be". Read better first before asking.
Before you start lecturing people about how to understand what you say, learn to say it clearly.
~huppo

Please feel free to add me to your Foes list.

clueless

Post by clueless » Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:42 pm

How many Dyslexics does it change to take a lightbulb?