Spectralis II

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
User avatar
Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 2352
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2004 2:41 am
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source
Location: DenverMetroUSA, Quantum-Source.com
Contact:

Spectralis II

Post by Zamise » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:43 am

<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]

User avatar
crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 2861
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:15 am
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline
Location: Synth Garden
Contact:

Re: Spectralis II

Post by crystalmsc » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:25 am

I'm taking a closer look at this right now.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

User avatar
breitt
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 354
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:15 am
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: Spectralis II

Post by breitt » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:02 am

crystalmsc wrote:I'm taking a closer look at this right now.
The "Hybrid Elements" was announced by Jorg exactly 1 year ago and nothing ever materialized on that. Seems he had to show potential investors at NAMM that something was happening.
Now comes the announcement about Spectralis II. I wouldn't hold my breath on this one either. Even if it does materialize, he says that the software is virtually the same as the original Spectralis (one minor tweak), except that it will be called version 1.0 (instead of .97 for 2 years). And that's a bad thing: the routings and interface are pure h**l on that machine. Normally, I wouldn't waste my time bitching about something like this, but the potential of the Spectralis was/is so great, that it's beyond frustrating to think that a convoluted OS ruins the whole experience. Nothing I've ever owned sounded so fantastic; but, nothing I've ever owned was as confusing and difficult to use. Here's Jorg's statement from October 13 of this year on the Spectralis forum:

Before starting the production, we have to finish the version 1.0 of the Spectralis. Afterwards Andreas has to program the new communication protocoll for the USB chip and the complete other memory interface. I don't want to delay the firmware development for current Spectralis versions. So - it will still need some months before the new Spectralis will appear at the market. Until then, we are not producing the Spectralis 1 anymore. The unit is already out of stock. I hope, that will keep the price of the Spectralis up.

I changed something at the Spectralis Interface. The current "transpose" button will become a sound select button. By pressing the num-buttons it will then possible to switch through the favorite sounds. Each part will get this favorites soundselection. It can be programmed by simply selecting a sound and then pressing the num button as a target for the selection a little bit longer (like on many car radios). So by pressing it short, you are selecting a sound and by pressing it longer, you assign a memory location to the button. This functionality will become available for Spectralis 1 users as well and is nothing more than one of the Version 1.0 features. I think, that is a simply but effective addition to the Spectralis interface.

Beside that, the Spectralis soundengine will remain the same. So, there is no reason to sell the Spectralis 1. We will offer an upgrade path for people who want to get the larger ROM memory. The price will be announced later - but compared to the price of a couple of smartmedia cards it will be very reasonable.

A big difference between the Spectralis I and II is, that the Spectralis II will appear with a 1.0 version. But then, you already have the Version 1.0 in your Spectralis I.
Last edited by breitt on Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elektron Analog 4

User avatar
meatballfulton
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5835
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:29 pm
Gear: Logic Pro X

Re: Spectralis II

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:23 pm

Didn't see mention of memory card format... is he sticking with SM (bad)?
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

User avatar
crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 2861
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:15 am
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline
Location: Synth Garden
Contact:

Post by crystalmsc » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:30 pm

meatballfulton wrote:Didn't see mention of memory card format
Above article in the link mentioned something about a SD slot.
Thanks for the informations Breitt.
Last edited by crystalmsc on Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

User avatar
23
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 593
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:19 am
Gear: TB-303, MC-505, MC-09, V-Synth GT, FR-777, FR-XS, MFB: Synth II, EMU Proteus 2500/CS, FS1R, Supernova II, Fusion 6HD, ER-1 MKII
Band: 23, A23P, Piss Ant
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
Contact:

Re: Spectralis II

Post by 23 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:45 pm

breitt wrote:
The "Hybrid Elements" was announced by Jorg exactly 1 year ago and nothing ever materialized on that.

Hold on to your horses there.....
YOU SURE ABOUT THAT? :wink:

User avatar
breitt
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 354
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:15 am
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: Spectralis II

Post by breitt » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:34 pm

23 wrote:
breitt wrote:
The "Hybrid Elements" was announced by Jorg exactly 1 year ago and nothing ever materialized on that.

Hold on to your horses there.....
YOU SURE ABOUT THAT? :wink:
That pre-order "TBA" ad has been on Novamusik since March.
Elektron Analog 4

User avatar
23
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 593
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:19 am
Gear: TB-303, MC-505, MC-09, V-Synth GT, FR-777, FR-XS, MFB: Synth II, EMU Proteus 2500/CS, FS1R, Supernova II, Fusion 6HD, ER-1 MKII
Band: 23, A23P, Piss Ant
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
Contact:

Re: Spectralis II

Post by 23 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:59 pm

breitt wrote:
23 wrote:
breitt wrote:
The "Hybrid Elements" was announced by Jorg exactly 1 year ago and nothing ever materialized on that.

Hold on to your horses there.....
YOU SURE ABOUT THAT? :wink:
That pre-order "TBA" ad has been on Novamusik since March.
LOL, that's funny. (for the record, that's not a sarcastic "that's funny", that's a "Jesus how long does Nova wait" kindof "that's funny")

User avatar
Soundwave
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 888
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:36 pm

Re: Spectralis II

Post by Soundwave » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:13 pm

I really wanted a Spectralis but I got my Elektrons instead.

Its a real shame Jorg hasn't improved the UI or at least given the new machine a decent sized LCD like a Blofeld or Elektron as the potential of this machine.

Hardware should be at least more immediate than software in this day and age.

Sadly it's still a flawed masterpice in my mind.

User avatar
hyphen nation
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 877
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:43 am
Gear: boxes that make noises
Location: sunny northwest

Re: Spectralis II

Post by hyphen nation » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:51 pm

meatballfulton wrote:Didn't see mention of memory card format... is he sticking with SM (bad)?
The sampling paragraph of the "about" press release says there is one gig of memory on the machine that is expandable to two gigs...as well as an SD slot, and a usb port [drag and drop samples]

Zamise, you have a Spectralis, right? I am not familiar enough with it [though I have looked at it on and off for years] what do you think about this? Is it really a big change into the MKii? Is it something you would bother upgrading to?From everything I have ever heard by people who can rock these things, they have consistently sounded pretty amazing...

droolmaster0
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 459
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 4:09 am

Re: Spectralis II

Post by droolmaster0 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:35 pm

breitt wrote:
crystalmsc wrote:I'm taking a closer look at this right now.
The "Hybrid Elements" was announced by Jorg exactly 1 year ago and nothing ever materialized on that. Seems he had to show potential investors at NAMM that something was happening.
Now comes the announcement about Spectralis II. I wouldn't hold my breath on this one either. Even if it does materialize, he says that the software is virtually the same as the original Spectralis (one minor tweak), except that it will be called version 1.0 (instead of .97 for 2 years). And that's a bad thing: the routings and interface are pure h**l on that machine. Normally, I wouldn't waste my time bitching about something like this, but the potential of the Spectralis was/is so great, that it's beyond frustrating to think that a convoluted OS ruins the whole experience. Nothing I've ever owned sounded so fantastic; but, nothing I've ever owned was as confusing and difficult to use. Here's Jorg's statement from October 13 of this year on the Spectralis forum:

Before starting the production, we have to finish the version 1.0 of the Spectralis. Afterwards Andreas has to program the new communication protocoll for the USB chip and the complete other memory interface. I don't want to delay the firmware development for current Spectralis versions. So - it will still need some months before the new Spectralis will appear at the market. Until then, we are not producing the Spectralis 1 anymore. The unit is already out of stock. I hope, that will keep the price of the Spectralis up.

I changed something at the Spectralis Interface. The current "transpose" button will become a sound select button. By pressing the num-buttons it will then possible to switch through the favorite sounds. Each part will get this favorites soundselection. It can be programmed by simply selecting a sound and then pressing the num button as a target for the selection a little bit longer (like on many car radios). So by pressing it short, you are selecting a sound and by pressing it longer, you assign a memory location to the button. This functionality will become available for Spectralis 1 users as well and is nothing more than one of the Version 1.0 features. I think, that is a simply but effective addition to the Spectralis interface.

Beside that, the Spectralis soundengine will remain the same. So, there is no reason to sell the Spectralis 1. We will offer an upgrade path for people who want to get the larger ROM memory. The price will be announced later - but compared to the price of a couple of smartmedia cards it will be very reasonable.

A big difference between the Spectralis I and II is, that the Spectralis II will appear with a 1.0 version. But then, you already have the Version 1.0 in your Spectralis I.
I don't think that you have it quite right. The idea is that he is going to finish 1.0 before releasing the Spectralis 2. He's not just going to rename the OS version. How soon that will happen is anyone's guess. He pretty much said on the forum recently that they are behind schedule, so that they will release the current beta version, which is apparently stable. It just doesn't yet have all of the features of 1.0.

User avatar
Stab Frenzy
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9723
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:41 pm
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX
Location: monster island*
Contact:

Re: Spectralis II

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:14 am

Looks pretty awesome, I hope they can get the OS finished to the point where I can have a play with one. Looks like a great machine for playing live.

User avatar
breitt
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 354
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:15 am
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: Spectralis II

Post by breitt » Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:08 am

droolmaster0 wrote: I don't think that you have it quite right. The idea is that he is going to finish 1.0 before releasing the Spectralis 2. He's not just going to rename the OS version. How soon that will happen is anyone's guess. He pretty much said on the forum recently that they are behind schedule, so that they will release the current beta version, which is apparently stable. It just doesn't yet have all of the features of 1.0.
Well, the "finished" 1.0 version will likely not be much different than the .97 version except for a few more esoteric capabilities.

I'm not really being picky about the fact that the final version will not include several of the original promised capabilities of the unit; I think that the machine's capabilities are nearly adquate now. I was just suggesting that it's a shame that with the unveiling of a new hardware unit, certain elements of the software were not streamlined to the point where it would not require scrolling through more than 20 sub-menus to change certain parameters.
Elektron Analog 4

droolmaster0
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 459
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 4:09 am

Re: Spectralis II

Post by droolmaster0 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:26 am

breitt wrote:
droolmaster0 wrote: I don't think that you have it quite right. The idea is that he is going to finish 1.0 before releasing the Spectralis 2. He's not just going to rename the OS version. How soon that will happen is anyone's guess. He pretty much said on the forum recently that they are behind schedule, so that they will release the current beta version, which is apparently stable. It just doesn't yet have all of the features of 1.0.
Well, the "finished" 1.0 version will likely not be much different than the .97 version except for a few more esoteric capabilities.

I'm not really being picky about the fact that the final version will not include several of the original promised capabilities of the unit; I think that the machine's capabilities are nearly adquate now. I was just suggesting that it's a shame that with the unveiling of a new hardware unit, certain elements of the software were not streamlined to the point where it would not require scrolling through more than 20 sub-menus to change certain parameters.

droolmaster0
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 459
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 4:09 am

Re: Spectralis II

Post by droolmaster0 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:27 am

I"m not sure where you're getting that. He has posted as to what should be in 1.0, and there is lots of stuff. Obviously he can't change around the basic interface and workflow of the machine. But there is lots in 1.0. Whether 1.0 arrives is another matter, but you seem to be suggesting that he'll just give up and call whatever is there 1.0, and I don't think that this is the case.

Post Reply