What specifically is special about the DX100?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Electribes x 6
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!
Band: killedaway/allyourblood

Re: What specifically is special about the DX100?

Post by killedaway » Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:53 am

i want a DX100 to FM alongside my microKORG. seems like a sensible little combo...

as for talkboxes, i don't think there's been an uglier or more obnoxious vocal effect released on humanity than the classic talkbox. oh wait... autotune.

(and no, vocoder isn't included. if you ask me, the vocoder is a delicious New York-style pizza.. talkbox is Chicago-style, and autotune's a Hot Pocket. yes, they're that bad.)

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:27 am

eumir wrote:The talkbox is very important in the rising prices of the DX100.
@ madtheory, here's an example of if:

I didn't see anything in that video that couldn't be accomplished (and perhaps more easily) with ANY synthesizer with a pitch wheel.

I suppose someone might say "sound," but come on... the sound of the DX is forced into a chamber and then through a tiny tube, and then into the mouth of the user... are you really going to tell me it is discernable as specifically a DX100 after all of that? What's more... why does it need to be portable? This person is sitting in front of it just like any synth. I suppose these issues only become relevant if one is to directly mimic the artists worshipped?
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Mooger5
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Mooger5 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:41 pm

cornutt wrote:Aren't all of those 4-op Yamaha FM synths based on the same chip set?
YM2151 for DX21/27/100; YM2414 for TX81Z/DX11/V50(?) (V2 in the text).

This page has good info: http://www.vorc.org/text/column/hally/ymxxxx.html
Herrare umanum est.

Mooger5
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Mooger5 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:20 pm

grondo2001 wrote:I had the spectra back in 91- it was my first synth. It was pretty bad but was probably the cheapest rompler available to man back then (without speakers that is...). It was ok- I don't hate it as much as you do but actually the key action was s**t! When I went with my dad to get it the seller was trying to convince us to get a D5 or JX1, which regrettably I didn't get.

Moving back to the dx100, I bought it fairly cheaply back in 97 and I still keep it. Here's a noodling vid I made with it.

As for the talkbox rubbish- this is a myth. Basically before the microKorg came out, it was probably the most portable mini keys synth with a pitch bend wheel which is essential for talk-boxing. this synth is pretty thin. I had the Casio CZ101 for a short while and it was phatter...
Great video! I think you have just increased the DX100's price a bit more ;)

Cheers.
Herrare umanum est.

Mooger5
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Mooger5 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:04 pm

Artist finds intrument -> Song hits charts -> Fans seek intrument -> Seller digs basement -> Price goes up.
Herrare umanum est.

Computer Controlled
Gear: SH-101 . TB-3 . TR-8 . Juno-1 w/PG-300 . TT-303 . Korg ES2 . Beatstep Pro . Pioneer RMX-500
Band: Computer Controlled

Post by Computer Controlled » Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:50 pm

madtheory wrote:What's this talkbox with DX100 thing? Can someone please enlighten me? Is it exclusive to American music?

Listen to Zapp and Rogers' "More Bounce to the Ounce".
Synths:
Avalon Bassline . TB-03 . JU-06 . MX-1 . Blofeld . MicroMonsta . Akai S5000
Drum Machines:
TR-09 . TR-8

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Yoozer » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:37 am

Mooger5 wrote:Artist finds intrument -> Song hits charts -> Fans seek intrument -> Seller digs basement -> Price goes up.
Also:

Underrated instrument is mentioned on enthusiast's forum -> Instrument is discussed on several other enthusiast's forums -> Magically, price goes up.

So, shut yer traps about those hidden gems ;).
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:58 am

Yoozer wrote:
Mooger5 wrote:Artist finds intrument -> Song hits charts -> Fans seek intrument -> Seller digs basement -> Price goes up.
Also:

Underrated instrument is mentioned on enthusiast's forum -> Instrument is discussed on several other enthusiast's forums -> Magically, price goes up.

That has yet to be proven.
If it were guaranteed true, the CS-15 would be sought after! :wink:
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

john909kid
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by john909kid » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:38 am

Dividedbyzero wrote: I love it because its so compact too. Oh and "Solid Bass" and "Wood Piano" can't be beaten for basslines.
+1 for "Wood Piano" :D

One of my fav bass sounds, so loved by early Detroit Techno artists.
Here it is on Derrick May classic track "Nude Photo"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nGVWxKhCXE

Clavier
Gear: A distraction.
Band: Rhode Out West

Post by Clavier » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:51 am

Yoozer wrote:
Also:

That's what happened to the AX60 and the Micromoog.
Hammond RT-2, Hammond M3, Hammond L-102, Rhodes mk1 suitcase 88, Sequential Circuits Prophet-5, Yamaha TX-802, Fender Twin Reverb, Leslie 45

Mooger5
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Mooger5 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:35 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:
Yoozer wrote:
Also:

That has yet to be proven.
Whats dis cs14?
Is it a syntaciser??
Does it sound like a virous?
Do you know of anyone famous who played it?
Do you think I could get signed to a major label if I played it?
How much does it cost? h**l I don´t care. I´ll take two!
Herrare umanum est.

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:55 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:That has yet to be proven.
A while back there was a thread on Gearslutz where people were trying to talk down certain synths to make their market value go down. :D

Oh, and by the way, the Jupiter-8 really sucks. :lol:
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

chordmemories

Post by chordmemories » Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:16 pm

The worst synths, in order of suckiness:

Prophet 5 rev 2: Goes out of tune constantly, the knobs always fall off, sounds horrible, and it is going down in value; a bad investment.
Oberheim OBXa: There is a little-known piece of code in the chips that ensures that after July 4, 2009, none of the functions will work and the synth will only play the "Jump" patch. Do you really want to lay out $3,000-4000 grand just to joke around with your friends when the Alesis Ion can get close enough to make your friends and youtube friends laugh? Buy an Ion instead.
Oberheim Matrix 12: Dude, you are never going to learn how to program it. Anyways, it is not "thick" or "phat".
Roland Jupiter 8: Dude, the 80s revival is SO uncool. I live in Brooklyn so I know what I am talking about. 90s synths are the new thing. Get an M1 instead.

CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Post by CS_TBL » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:55 am

Judging the algorithms, it makes a fine Tetris machine.

http://www.vintagesynth.com/yamaha/dx100.shtml
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids

eumir

Post by eumir » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:53 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:
eumir wrote:The talkbox is very important in the rising prices of the DX100.
@ madtheory, here's an example of if:

I didn't see anything in that video that couldn't be accomplished (and perhaps more easily) with ANY synthesizer with a pitch wheel.

I suppose someone might say "sound," but come on... the sound of the DX is forced into a chamber and then through a tiny tube, and then into the mouth of the user... are you really going to tell me it is discernable as specifically a DX100 after all of that? What's more... why does it need to be portable? This person is sitting in front of it just like any synth. I suppose these issues only become relevant if one is to directly mimic the artists worshipped?
Exactly.
I got my DX100 'cause it was really cheap and those are the only synths I can afford, but people want instruments just because some famous overrated artist uses them. I hope dx100 prices rise to heaven so i can sell mine and get me something decent (don't get me wrong, I love my dx100, but if you give me $400 for it it's yours).
Yamaha DX100, TQ5, TG33, RM1X
Evolution EVS-1