What specifically is special about the DX100?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
chordmemories

Re: What specifically is special about the DX100?

Post by chordmemories » Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:22 pm

This thread is turning out awesome! Thanks for all of the information!

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Jupiter-6, DX7, TX7, Juno-106, AX60, Pro One, S1000, M1r, Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:58 pm

nathanscribe wrote:
r33k wrote:LatelyBass and SolidBass are NOT the same sound.
What's the difference?
The main difference between the two that I can tell is that LatelyBass is a bit buzzier with the feedback parameter set at 7 I think, while Solid Bass is smoother, with no feedback that I can hear. They are similar, and while I wouldn't be surprised if LatelyBass is somehow based on Solid Bass, they're still different sounds. I have both loaded into my TX81z and I can definitely hear the difference.
soundcloud.com/vectron

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:03 pm

I've seen the DX100 go for $800 about a year ago... just because it supposedly had a roger troutman patch... I did sell mine for $450 a few weeks earlier...and it even had a fault out.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:23 pm

JSRockit wrote:I've seen the DX100 go for $800 about a year ago... just because it supposedly had a roger troutman patch... I did sell mine for $450 a few weeks earlier...and it even had a fault out.
I sold mine in 2002 or so, because people were really getting excited about FM at that point, and DX7 and DX100 prices were rising. Even in the midst of that, the DX100 went for less than $200... because it just doesn't do that much (and those who wanted it only wanted it for the presets, not as a synthesizer)... unless, of course, there is an association with a genre or artist.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Syn303
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Quite a bit...
Band: Syn303

Post by Syn303 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:46 pm

The DX100 along with the Korg M1, Kawai K10 Spectra was the sound of Detroit Techno
| syn303.bandcamp.com | soundcloud.com/syn303 |

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:53 pm

Syn303 wrote:The DX100 along with the Korg M1, Kawai K10 Spectra was the sound of Detroit Techno
Yeah, exactly. That sort of thing.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:07 am

Alex E wrote:
nathanscribe wrote:
r33k wrote:LatelyBass and SolidBass are NOT the same sound.
What's the difference?
The main difference between the two that I can tell is that LatelyBass is a bit buzzier with the feedback parameter set at 7 I think, while Solid Bass is smoother, with no feedback that I can hear. They are similar, and while I wouldn't be surprised if LatelyBass is somehow based on Solid Bass, they're still different sounds. I have both loaded into my TX81z and I can definitely hear the difference.
IIRC, on the TX81Z, LatelyBass has velocity sensitivity routed to the feedback, so the harder you hit it, the more it has that punch. I don't know if the DX100 is velocity sensitive, so perhaps that's something to do with it.

chordmemories

Post by chordmemories » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:15 am

AFAIK the DX100 can respond to velocity through MIDI but the keyboard is not.

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Yoozer » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:51 am

Dividedbyzero wrote:Supposedly the DX100 can't be beaten for talk box fans. Why they don't buy a DX27 and save some money I don't know.
The 21 is an even better option - bigger display, layering/splitting and chorus ;). I think it's exactly that talk box myth that has launched it up high - it'll only take a few Youtube videos of talkboxers who'll do a comparison between a DX100 and a DX21, and all bets are off.

Hope nobody does this - the more obscure and underrated synths, the better for my (or anyone else's) wallet it is.
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

Mooger5
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Mooger5 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:53 am

Syn303 wrote:The DX100 along with the Korg M1, Kawai K10 Spectra was the sound of Detroit Techno
I have to say the Kawai Spectra is the worst sounding synth in all History. I had to demo it everyday and it was useless. It said the samples were 16-bit but the quality of the DACs was rubbish. Thin and grey sounds with no expression, no life whatsoever. The K1 mkII and K4 that were in the store were a joy to play, but that one was just a cheap piece of garbage. Whomever thinks the DX-100 is a toy, well next to the Spectra it sounds like a CS-80. Kawai really made a big mistake putting that thing in the market. Sorry if I may sound agressive, but I´m serious here. If somebody finds one on Ebay for 20$ it´s because it´s worth less than that. Well I think you get my point now.

I recall an article about Juan Atkins and when I saw a picture of his studio I immediately thought: He uses an MS10 because he can´t afford an MS20 and kids will see it and run for the 10. Classic story, I guess. It´s the same as saying prog rockers used Mellotrons cause they couldn´t afford real orchestras. I know. Besides, the MS10 has PWM and the MS20 hasn´t, and all that. And while somebody bashes on the Orchestron, I would love to own one even knowing it´s terrible just because my synth heros used it a lot. But it´s got some qualities, something I doubt ever existed in the Spectra.

So someone please post a video or something starring a Spectra and I may be convinced otherwise.

Sorry for the rant. I really hated that stupid thing. :dontknow: :?
Herrare umanum est.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:44 pm

What's this talkbox with DX100 thing? Can someone please enlighten me? Is it exclusive to American music?

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Jupiter-6, DX7, TX7, Juno-106, AX60, Pro One, S1000, M1r, Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:09 pm

madtheory wrote:What's this talkbox with DX100 thing? Can someone please enlighten me? Is it exclusive to American music?
Apparently some guy named Roger Troutman programmed a patch into the DX100 and used it in conjunction with a talkbox. I guess he was famous enough to raise the popularity of the humble DX100 to what it is today. I don't know much else about it though.
soundcloud.com/vectron

grondo2001

Post by grondo2001 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:35 pm

I had the spectra back in 91- it was my first synth. It was pretty bad but was probably the cheapest rompler available to man back then (without speakers that is...). It was ok- I don't hate it as much as you do but actually the key action was s**t! When I went with my dad to get it the seller was trying to convince us to get a D5 or JX1, which regrettably I didn't get.

Moving back to the dx100, I bought it fairly cheaply back in 97 and I still keep it. Here's a noodling vid I made with it.
[youtube][/youtube]

As for the talkbox rubbish- this is a myth. Basically before the microKorg came out, it was probably the most portable mini keys synth with a pitch bend wheel which is essential for talk-boxing. this synth is pretty thin. I had the Casio CZ101 for a short while and it was phatter...

eumir

Post by eumir » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:15 am

The talkbox is very important in the rising prices of the DX100.
@ madtheory, here's an example of if:

chordmemories

Post by chordmemories » Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:32 am

Perhaps I should keep my DX100. That talkbox s**t will get me more girls than the solemn experimental techno I am working on. =P~

[-X

Oh wait, I am an artist. The girls come later. When the DX100 inevitably gets as expensive as an FS1r, that is when I make my move! :D