Your Favorite Arpeggiator In A Synth?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
chordmemories

Your Favorite Arpeggiator In A Synth?

Post by chordmemories » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:18 am

Did a search and this didn't come up. So I hope I, the newb, am not posting a redundant thread.

Anyways, I am curious as to what you think?
I know there are a lot of different ways to integrate an arp in a synth, so, if your experience allows, mention both easiest and deepest, or come up with your own category!

Cheers.

Char-El
Gear: 2 Emu E4Ks,VK6,Classic Keys,, Korg Wavestation EX,DW-8000 Turbo,Roland P330,,Roland MC 50 MK2,Mellotron Archives CD Rom

Re: Your Favorite Arpeggiator In A Synth?

Post by Char-El » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:37 am

until I got my Emu VK6, I always thought the Sequential Prophet VS had the coolest arpeggiator ever. The VK 6 has 16 seperate arpeggiators that can all be synched together. It's so deep and programmable i have yet to even explore it's depths.

stephen
Gear: Laptop
House Brick
Renoise
Loomer Aspect
FM8

Post by stephen » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:54 am

The nova has a wicked arp.

And don't discount the microkorg's either.
Stephen(2)

Analogue Crazy
Gear: Alesis Andromeda
Korg MS20 Mini
Korg Micro Preset
Korg DS-8
Yamaha Motif 7
Yamaha DX11

Post by Analogue Crazy » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:55 am

The Jupiter-4's arpeggiator is stunning! many complain about it having no range control and running up all 4 octaves BUT actually it runs up whatever notes are left above the ones you hold. And if that aint unique enough it works differently depending on the order you press and hold the notes. This can result in some amazing stuff, which sounds more like a sequence than an arpeggio. Its amazing, the range limitation makes it so special.
A6 Andromeda, MS20 Mini, M500SP, DS-8, Motif 7, DX11,

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:22 am

The E-Mu modules based around the Proteus 2500 (XL-7, MP-7, etc.) have pretty amazing arpeggiators. The V-Synth programmable one is pretty awesome too, almost more like a little loop sequencer than an arp.

Dr8Ve

Post by Dr8Ve » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:40 am

Roland V-Synth

chordmemories

Post by chordmemories » Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:28 am

V Synth wins in almost every thread I start. I wish I could afford it.

Pilot352

Post by Pilot352 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:38 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:The E-Mu modules based around the Proteus 2500 (XL-7, MP-7, etc.) have pretty amazing arpeggiators. The V-Synth programmable one is pretty awesome too, almost more like a little loop sequencer than an arp.
Isn't a programmable arpeggiator also called a "sequencer"???

What's the difference? An arpeggiator plays arpeggios. Play the notes on the keyboard and the arpeggiator cycles the notes. What's to program? Please help an old fool understand!! :? :?

Edit: I should have read your full post. You even said it's like a sequencer!! :mrgreen:
Analog: Mono/Poly, Prophet '08, Juno 106
Digital: Kurzweil SP88, Yamaha DX11, Kawai K4, MS2K, AN1x
Modules: Triton (loaded), Motif ES, MS2KR, E-Mu Proteus 2K, TR626 DM, Roland U220
New Addition: Fender Rhodes 73 Mark I
So much gear... So little time!!!

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:45 am

Pilot352 wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote:The E-Mu modules based around the Proteus 2500 (XL-7, MP-7, etc.) have pretty amazing arpeggiators. The V-Synth programmable one is pretty awesome too, almost more like a little loop sequencer than an arp.
Isn't a programmable arpeggiator also called a "sequencer"???

What's the difference? An arpeggiator plays arpeggios. Play the notes on the keyboard and the arpeggiator cycles the notes. What's to program? Please help an old fool understand!! :? :?

Edit: I should have read your full post. You even said it's like a sequencer!! :mrgreen:
:D

The programmable aspects mean instead of just having up/down/whatever and choosing 16ths/8ths/etc you can program different intervals and have more interesting rhythmic variations in the arpeggiator. It also can work polyphonically if you want. If you set it to latch and not transpose though it is like a sequencer, but that's not the most fun way to work it.

A lot of other synths have arpeggiators that are as powerful as the V-Synth's but I think the reason it's so good is because editing it on the touch screen works really well. It's much easier than editing the arps on the XL-7.
chordmemories wrote:V Synth wins in almost every thread I start. I wish I could afford it.
They're crazily cheap at the moment, I've heard of them going for under US$800. :shock: When you look at what else you can get for that price it's a surprise everyone doesn't own one.

polardark

Post by polardark » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:16 am

The microKorg arpeggiator is really good. It offers a lot of different synchronization modes. At least it blows my Little Phatty out of the water.

hyphen nation
Gear: boxes that make noises

Post by hyphen nation » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:47 am

did we determine if it is a sequencer or an arp if the root note of the sequence changes based on key press? if it is an arp, the Evolover has a pretty lovely, complex arpeggiator...

audible
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by audible » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:33 am

Waldorf Blofeld.
"The concern of the musician is music. The concern of the professional musician is business. Only become a professional musician if there is no choice." Robert Fripp.

killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Electribes x 6
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!
Band: killedaway/allyourblood

Post by killedaway » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:38 am

i choose the microKORG's arp right now, since it's so easy to program and it's fun. also, it's not an arp, but sure i miss the MS2k's mod sequence function. wish they'd stuck a trimmed down version in mK.

Johnny Lenin
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: JX8P | AX60 | Little Phatty Stage II | DW8000 | Vox Jag | Fantom X6 | Juno-G | P-Bass | AS-120 | Double Jet

Post by Johnny Lenin » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:09 pm

I gotta say, I'm not enjoying the Little Phatty 2 arpeggiator. Apart from a few options, it is not programmable at all, and I am annoyed that, set to one octave, it goes to the octave of the lowest note (A3-C4-E4-A4) rather than playing within the octave. It's probably too much to ask, but I'd love Moog to add some more programming possibilities in the next firmware rev.

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:25 pm

Of my own gear, the Virus b is the best, having two dozen or more variations programmed, then it also has the random, as-played and chord functions. Beats any Roland Jupiter for sure, not to mention, JP8's have this timing issue that causes random latency on new notes while others are held.

Now I want to check out the arpeggiators of the V-Synth, MicroKorg and Emu's mentioned.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.