Your Favorite Arpeggiator In A Synth?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
sacredcow

Re: Your Favorite Arpeggiator In A Synth?

Post by sacredcow » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:43 pm

stephen wrote:The nova has a wicked arp.

And don't discount the microkorg's either.
Do you have any idea if it's possible to trigger the arp from the nova itself without sending a midi message from something else? I tried to get it to do this for around an hour yesterday, but no luck. The manual is not much help about this in particular. :\
PowerMac G4 dual, DSI MoPho, E-MU XL-7, Korg ES-1mkii, Korg EA-1, Novation Nova, Kawai K4, Casio vz10m, Casio ht700, Yamaha PSS-480

(5 good trader references and counting)

chordmemories

Post by chordmemories » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:45 pm

I am really curious about the Kawai K5000s. Some reviews say it is an afterthought, others say it is great. Anyways, I think this is going to be my first purchase after the DX100 I bought 10 million years ago.

killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Electribes x 6
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!
Band: killedaway/allyourblood

Post by killedaway » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:03 pm

i should add that my Fantom-S has a really deep arp, but i found programming them to be a chore. pretty versatile though, if you can get into it.

Johnny Lenin
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: JX8P | AX60 | Little Phatty Stage II | DW8000 | Vox Jag | Fantom X6 | Juno-G | P-Bass | AS-120 | Double Jet

Post by Johnny Lenin » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:13 pm

I have to agree. The Fantom-X arpeggiator is pretty good. I don't find the programming matrix all that difficult, but it could be that the Fantom-X display makes it somewhat easier.

The funy thing is that I don't use it as an arpeggiator, so much as a random note sequencer... Which is an apreggiator, I guess...

ronP
Gear: BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO MT-70; KORG EA-1 mkII, MicroKorg, microSTATION, MicroX, Mini-KP, Monotron; ROLAND Micro Cube; ZOOM FS01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B
Band: Keyfish

Post by ronP » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:18 pm

polardark wrote:The microKorg arpeggiator is really good. It offers a lot of different synchronization modes. At least it blows my Little Phatty out of the water.
oo

I agree the KORG microKorg's arp is great, especially the Random setting, which can emulate all of the early Duran Duran patterns pretty well.

I also loved the arp on the KORG PolySix. You can latch that one, too, and then tweak the effects or filter for some great sequences. This technique always raised eyebrows during the early 1980's when such approaches to live synth play were still considered esoteric in the world of local gigs.

oo
BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO Casiotone MT-70; KORG Electribe EA-1mkII, microKORG, mini-KP; QUIKLOK T20 T-REX Series X;
ROLAND Micro-CUBE; YAMAHA PSS130, PSS140; ZOOM FS-01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B

Wanted: BOSS DR-110; CASIO CZ-101; YAMAHA CS-01, DX-100

Gear: TB-303, MC-505, MC-09, V-Synth GT, FR-777, FR-XS, MFB: Synth II, EMU Proteus 2500/CS, FS1R, Supernova II, Fusion 6HD, ER-1 MKII
Band: 23, A23P, Piss Ant

Post by 23 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:19 pm

Tied at number 1:
Korg Karma, Triton, and M3 (all of which roll with the Karma system....the Oasys probably does to for that matter)
Alesis Fusion (which is an obvious take on the Karma system)

Number 2:
Novation Supernova II \ Supernova \ Nova II \ Nova

Number 3:
Roland V-Synth\XT\GT

Number 4:
EMU P200\P2500\CS\_K6

Number 5:
Roland JV and XV

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:20 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:The V-Synth programmable one is pretty awesome too, almost more like a little loop sequencer than an arp.
I'll have to admit that I've never had a lot of use for arpeggiators; I didn't own a synth with one, because it wasn't a factor in deciding what to buy. But now that I'm starting to play with the one on the V, I'm beginning to see the usefulness of it. I've already done a couple of things with it that I would not have done, or thought to do, on the computer. And I still have a lot of digging to do.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

Christopher Winkels
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Christopher Winkels » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:29 pm

For functionality, the Fantom-Xa has a really good arpeggiator, but I far and away prefer (as a combination of synth engine and arpeggiator) the one on the Juno-6; it's just such a classic sound.
Last edited by Christopher Winkels on Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: it's all being sold to fund new gear

Post by wiss » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:38 pm

Korg Mono/Poly and Roland Juno 6/60
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Electribes x 6
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!
Band: killedaway/allyourblood

Post by killedaway » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:53 pm

oh, and for one of the worst apeggiators ever? Alesis ion. dreadful. horrible. not editable, and lacking some of the most basic patterns.

stephen
Gear: Laptop
House Brick
Renoise
Loomer Aspect
FM8

Post by stephen » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:56 pm

sacredcow wrote:

Do you have any idea if it's possible to trigger the arp from the nova itself without sending a midi message from something else? I tried to get it to do this for around an hour yesterday, but no luck. The manual is not much help about this in particular. :\
Hmmm, I don't think that's possible, but it's something that would be very useful. That would turn the nova's arp pretty much into more of a sequencer than an arpeggiator!
Stephen(2)

Gear: TB-303, MC-505, MC-09, V-Synth GT, FR-777, FR-XS, MFB: Synth II, EMU Proteus 2500/CS, FS1R, Supernova II, Fusion 6HD, ER-1 MKII
Band: 23, A23P, Piss Ant

Post by 23 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:27 am

stephen wrote:
sacredcow wrote:

Hmmm, I don't think that's possible, but it's something that would be very useful. That would turn the nova's arp pretty much into more of a sequencer than an arpeggiator!
Oddly enough, theres appregiators out there that at worst, arguably come VERY close to this.
and at best, straight out do this.

This is part of why I was saying that at times it really gets to be mind bending in regards to where an appregiation stops and a sequencer begins.

Of note on this, I'd say the entire KARMA holding systems, Supernova II (NOT THE NOVA or NOVAII), Fusion, V-Synth, and even the Q (if memory serves correct, I haven't dealt with that synth in close to a decade) are all prime examples.
I actually did a jam with the Supernova II as an experiment once using it's appregiator where I wanted to see how quickly I could lay down a basic foundation of an idea with JUST the Supernova II.
Literally was within a few seconds able to get a bass drum, high hat, snare, "appregiated lead", and pad line all going with relative ease. Once they were all going, I could even begin dropping them out and starting them again at will.
Things like the Fusion and Karma systems go even further....doing drum fills and all sorts of c**p.
AND THIS IS WITH APPREGIATORS!

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:31 am

hyphen nation wrote:did we determine if it is a sequencer or an arp if the root note of the sequence changes based on key press? if it is an arp, the Evolover has a pretty lovely, complex arpeggiator...
Nah you couldn't call the Evolver's sequencer an arpeggiator, if you hold down two notes it won't cycle between them.

audible
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by audible » Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:43 am

wiss wrote:Korg Mono/Poly and Roland Juno 6/60
Yeah the Mono/poly's arp is quite effective and straightforward. But why does it retrigger with every new note? Does it have any musical application? It doesn't make sense to me.
"The concern of the musician is music. The concern of the professional musician is business. Only become a professional musician if there is no choice." Robert Fripp.

zmd
Gear: ion, djx, su200, fb01, sk50d, dotcom, kodyssey, volcas, minibrute, minilogue, tg33, 522, streichfett, monotrons, cp35
Band: Shrimp ring/usse/wrote/usurper

Post by zmd » Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:53 am

killedaway wrote:oh, and for one of the worst apeggiators ever? Alesis ion. dreadful. horrible. not editable, and lacking some of the most basic patterns.
couldn't agree more. why is there no up, or down, or up/down, or random???

i only have two synths with arps...the ion and the yamaha djx. the djx is fine for basics, up/down and random stuff. it has a couple of other ones too..maybe 1/2 dozen or so that are good. and, at least it sends notes.
that's not dirt, that's chili sauce!