What was the ultimate drum machine of the '80's?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: it's all being sold to fund new gear

Re: What was the ultimate drum machine of the '80's?

Post by wiss » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:01 pm

Rick Allen's drum kit may have been the ulitmate drum kit of the 1980's......
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

waveterm
Gear: A lot more than you

Post by waveterm » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:52 pm

1. Linn LM-1
2. Linndrum
3. Oberheim DMX
4. Roland TR-808
5. Linn 9000
6. Simmons SDSV
7. Emu SP-12
8. Roland TR-707
9.Yamaha RX-5
10. Roland CR-78

WT
Just a guy with a bunch of blue things.......now, move on !

Cam VanDerHorst
Gear: Roland JV-80, Reason 4, Moog Little Phatty Stage II, KORG DS-10

Post by Cam VanDerHorst » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:37 am

D-Collector wrote:I would have to go with the Fairlight, with the various LinnDrum incarnations on second.
So many of my favourite 80's records were made with the Fairlight.
chordmemories wrote:Not including the original poster on this thread, but if I read of another person looking for more "cheesy" 80s sounds to add to their productions or one more indie act with "ironic" 80s influences I am going to take my forthcoming 1996 Kawai synth and beat people over the head.
I agree with you, but I will also ask this: Why do many people call music and culture from the 80s "cheesy"? And why is using typical 80's sounds in modern productions considered "ironic"? It just sounds stupid to me. Does modern popular music and culture have such a strong hold on people that they have to find an silly "excuse" to listen to old music, like "it's just for laughs" or something? Is the musical culture of today so much more advanced and developed than in the 80s? Technically maybe, but creatively it's quite the opposite I would say.

And what the f**k does "cheesy" even mean??
If today's pop music is so great, why do my contemporaries feel the need to go back and listen to "cheesy old records?" Just to be ironic? A decade ago, maybe, but not now. It's about as unique as buying a microKORG. So why do people listen to it? It's great pop music, that's why. It was hands down the most creative and unique era for pop & alternative music ever, and there will never be another time like that again, at least not at the rate we're going.

Anyway, my vote goes to the DMX. As far as pop, alternative, hip-hop and dance music goes, it was the decade of the handclap, and the DMX has the world's greatest handclap sound ever.
Roland JV-80, Reason 4, Moog Little Phatty Stage II #SE04074, KORG DS-10
http://metarract.blogspot.com/
You've caught me at a bad bad time, so why don't you piss off.

scope4live

Post by scope4live » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:58 am

My drummer played along to the Oberheim and even had the Prommer.
He used an SP12 also.
The reason why these were so poplular is the outputs on the machines were way hot, and the drums were very powerful for that time period.
What I liked was the way they forced drummers to tune their drums bvetter and get tighter chops, or be replaced by the " Attack Of The Machines ".
I listen to new Electro synth artists and like other styles must wade through tons of c**p to find tunes I like. But these guys are at least being creative.
Pop music in General sucks, and I grow so weary of the guys with the Mr. T Starter kits and Bikini clad videos.
I need fresh ideas to help me evolve and don't seem to find them anywhere else except in the Electro synth styles.
But the funny thing is I hear the 808's and DMX's all the time. :wink:
Jimmy V.

Scope DSP cards x 6
Lexicon PCM81/PCM91
Studio Electronics Synths
Creamware ASB B4000 w/ Pro3t Rotary

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:20 am

LinnDrum, 808, DMX

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:48 am

wiss wrote:Rick Allen's drum kit may have been the ulitmate drum kit of the 1980's......
You mean Mutt Lange's drum kit. :mrgreen:
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:56 am

D-Collector wrote:I agree with you, but I will also ask this: Why do many people call music and culture from the 80s "cheesy"? And why is using typical 80's sounds in modern productions considered "ironic"? It just sounds stupid to me. Does modern popular music and culture have such a strong hold on people that they have to find an silly "excuse" to listen to old music, like "it's just for laughs" or something? Is the musical culture of today so much more advanced and developed than in the 80s? Technically maybe, but creatively it's quite the opposite I would say.

And what the f**k does "cheesy" even mean??
This man for President. =D>
Last edited by OriginalJambo on Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:15 am

Cam VanDerHorst wrote:It's great pop music, that's why.
And you for Vice. =D>

chordmemories

Post by chordmemories » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:21 am

The 80s were a great decade for music, but that is because people were challenging themselves to try something new. I am not crapping on bands that try and sound like the 80s because the 80s sucked, but because the only way to try and make this decade, or any decade, and good, is to do exactly what they did in the 80s, which is, as I said, try to do something new. In a way, by reviving the 80s instead of creating a new one, today's artists are actually very much against what the bands they are copying stood for. Now THAT is irony!

hyphen nation
Gear: boxes that make noises

Post by hyphen nation » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:35 am

phil collins was the ultimate drum machine of the 80's

code green
Gear: prophet 600/evolver/juno 6/alpha juno 2/bassst'n/crumar performer/jv1010/suitcase rhodes 73/ '78 gibson l6-s/'73 guild mahogany/'69 fender princeton
Band: thermite zapruder

Post by code green » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:18 am

sci drumtraks doesn't even rate in this discussion? just asking....

hyphen nation
Gear: boxes that make noises

Post by hyphen nation » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:53 am

code green wrote:sci drumtraks doesn't even rate in this discussion? just asking....
I love mine, don't get me wrong, I just happen to agree with the others that the ultimate, the signature drum machine used across the most recognized and influential music of the decade will be somewhere between a Linndrum, an 808 and a DMX, more or less depending on your flavor of the 80's

and what I wouldn't do to have those three drum machines in my house...

Computer Controlled
Gear: SH-101 . TB-3 . TR-8 . Juno-1 w/PG-300 . TT-303 . Korg ES2 . Beatstep Pro . Pioneer RMX-500
Band: Computer Controlled

Post by Computer Controlled » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:54 am

Yeah, i'd say the LM-1 and DMX. Also the Fairlight. Can't forget the SP1200 though!
Synths:
Avalon Bassline . TB-03 . JU-06 . MX-1 . Blofeld . MicroMonsta . Akai S5000
Drum Machines:
TR-09 . TR-8

code green
Gear: prophet 600/evolver/juno 6/alpha juno 2/bassst'n/crumar performer/jv1010/suitcase rhodes 73/ '78 gibson l6-s/'73 guild mahogany/'69 fender princeton
Band: thermite zapruder

Post by code green » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:00 am

hyphen nation wrote:
code green wrote:sci drumtraks doesn't even rate in this discussion? just asking....
I love mine, don't get me wrong, I just happen to agree with the others that the ultimate, the signature drum machine used across the most recognized and influential music of the decade will be somewhere between a Linndrum, an 808 and a DMX, more or less depending on your flavor of the 80's

and what I wouldn't do to have those three drum machines in my house...
oh absolutely and i'm with you on those choices...was just noting that, among the many machines being mentioned, no one dropped the drumtraks. and as one who genuinely doesn't know, i was asking whether this was communal oversight or was because it just wasn't a big enough presence.

Cam VanDerHorst
Gear: Roland JV-80, Reason 4, Moog Little Phatty Stage II, KORG DS-10

Post by Cam VanDerHorst » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:09 am

chordmemories wrote:The 80s were a great decade for music, but that is because people were challenging themselves to try something new. I am not crapping on bands that try and sound like the 80s because the 80s sucked, but because the only way to try and make this decade, or any decade, and good, is to do exactly what they did in the 80s, which is, as I said, try to do something new. In a way, by reviving the 80s instead of creating a new one, today's artists are actually very much against what the bands they are copying stood for. Now THAT is irony!
I disagree with you slightly. Pop music sucks now because no one is trying anything new at all. The biggest problem is that the 1980s and everything that represents it is almost universally panned, especially by people who didn't even live through it, while those same people are trying their damndest to make another Rio, 90125, or Power, Corruption, and Lies. But we still need to revisit it. By re-creating those trademark "'80s" sounds, we begin to understand the creativity that drove those sounds into our consciousness. Only then, when we take the music and the art seriously, can we truly move forward and make great music again.
Roland JV-80, Reason 4, Moog Little Phatty Stage II #SE04074, KORG DS-10
http://metarract.blogspot.com/
You've caught me at a bad bad time, so why don't you piss off.