Depeche Mode Blasphemous Rumours Pad Sound

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
sandwich

Re: Depeche Mode Blasphemous Rumours Pad Sound

Post by sandwich » Thu May 04, 2017 1:42 pm

madtheory wrote:
sandwich wrote:The Hohner Melodica and Shawm samples are two completely different parts in the song. The Shawm is the two note part after the marimba type part with a trill at the start of the second line, and the melodica is in the middle 8 and end sections :)
Completely different parts in the song yes, but both are reed instruments that sound very alike, because the shawm despite being a double reed has a presence peak like the Hohner, due to its shape. Plus there's a helluva lot of forward and reverse reverb. Such a simple reedy sound is going to end up quite "blurred".

Anyway, the point I was making is that it's not a synth!
Oh agreed it's definitely no synth in Blasphemous Rumours, in fact I'm sure I remember Alan once saying that it was a backwards oboe! I just wandered off topic there in response to the comment about the Shawm being a rumour in Everything Counts. Yeah the two sounds are similar in type, but to my ears they do sound quite different ;)