Have presets killed control once more?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Re: Have presets killed control once more?

Post by xpander » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:58 am

if it's carried at Guitar Center it's not exactly a boutique synthesizer. the last time i walked into the GC in San José they had a Moog LP and a Prophet 08 right along with the Radias, various Nords, V-synth, Electribes and SH-201. this is in stark contrast to the late FM era when everything new looked like a workstation and the only thing you'd find analog was the sysex-editable 1U Matrix-1000.

i would imagine there has never been a larger selection of control-heavy synthesizers in production as there is today. the sheer volume of the boutique synth makers is staggering. if you compare this to a year like 1991, you're going to see a huge difference.

Gear: TB-303, MC-505, MC-09, V-Synth GT, FR-777, FR-XS, MFB: Synth II, EMU Proteus 2500/CS, FS1R, Supernova II, Fusion 6HD, ER-1 MKII
Band: 23, A23P, Piss Ant

Post by 23 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:30 am

xpander wrote:if it's carried at Guitar Center it's not exactly a boutique synthesizer. the last time i walked into the GC in San José they had a Moog LP and a Prophet 08 right along with the Radias, various Nords, V-synth, Electribes and SH-201. this is in stark contrast to the late FM era when everything new looked like a workstation and the only thing you'd find analog was the sysex-editable 1U Matrix-1000.

i would imagine there has never been a larger selection of control-heavy synthesizers in production as there is today. the sheer volume of the boutique synth makers is staggering. if you compare this to a year like 1991, you're going to see a huge difference.
That's not the norm of most guitar centers.
Trust me when I tell you, that for example, there are just about as close to NO GT's carried by GC as you can get without actually having NONE. (last count I knew of was 3 within the ENTIRE company)

There's a few GC locations that stand out on their synth selection...
they aren't however the norm (oddly, the biggest GC locations if memory recalls correctly are in central and southern Cali)

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:22 pm

DisasterArea wrote:Worth noting is that the Sequential version is not chalked up to myth in Analog Days because it isn't; I recall reading an interview with Dave Smith in an old synth book from a library years ago in which he expressed frustration over this phenomenon.
Well, the full quote is ""this story has acquired mythical status and is more often told about Sequential's Prophet-5."
While it is certainly likely that many Prophet 5s hadn't evinced a lot of sound authorship, the story makes a great deal more sense in reference to the DX7's less intuitive programming structure and the new synth culture of the early 80s. On top of that, the DX7 was really the first synth where consumers could afford to have the exact sounds their favorite rock stars were using, and wherein the preset itself became the focus of interest instead of making their own sounds.

Personally, I have played a number of Prophet 5s and DX7s, and among them, the Prophet 5s (or JX3ps, or SX-210s, or Juno 106s) always had at least a couple original patches... none of the DX7s ever have (which doesn't prove anything, but certainly informs my perspective). So, I'm inclined to believe the quote in the same way that Pinch and Trocco seem to... as having come from Yamaha, irrespective of a similar feeling that Dave Smith had previously.

Incidentally, I think I've seen this quote in reference to even ANOTHER synthesizer, but I'm having trouble remembering which. My main point is that due to the dubious origin of this quote, it doesn't serve as a strong basis for a point.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:42 pm

griffin avid wrote:As far as in the studio goes, I find I'm in two modes. Sitting and programming or standing and performing/recording. Very few keyboards are in that perfect reach zone for hands on programming where I can access the surface and play it just as easily. Usually it's the newest synth that gets the front and center real estate.
One reason I like workstations is they remove the problem of the gear being out of reach, there's only one machine to deal with.
23 wrote:Korg is nearly a decade old in age and production has been ceased for awhile.
The Radias is still in production and has the same programming interface as the MS2000.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:58 pm

One reason I like workstations is they remove the problem of the gear being out of reach, there's only one machine to deal with.

Unless of course you have more than 1 workstation...
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

Gear: TB-303, MC-505, MC-09, V-Synth GT, FR-777, FR-XS, MFB: Synth II, EMU Proteus 2500/CS, FS1R, Supernova II, Fusion 6HD, ER-1 MKII
Band: 23, A23P, Piss Ant

Post by 23 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:26 pm

meatballfulton wrote: The Radias is still in production and has the same programming interface as the MS2000.
Yeah, I noted the Radias earlier actually.
There's a number of pieces Korg is still producting/touting that they claim as geared towards synthesis, of that bunch the Radias is the exception in regard to hands on control on offer.

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:59 am

23 wrote:There's a few GC locations that stand out on their synth selection...
they aren't however the norm (oddly, the biggest GC locations if memory recalls correctly are in central and southern Cali)
Yup... the Sherman Oaks GC has a Prophet '08, a v-synth GT, and a friggin OASYS. Not a good place to run in to buy cables!

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:29 pm

The small MoPhos, Snows, Blofelds, etc. are probably the money makers for small companies. If that keeps them profitable, then they can produce the bigger and more tweakable synths for the serious sound designer.

MitchK1989

Post by MitchK1989 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:49 am

to a certain extent it puts me off of hardware, since if I'm going to use a software editor, I'd rather just use a softsynth.

The lack of midrange synths with a decent amount of control kind of forces me into the software VS hardware world, instead of being able to mix and match... as any hardware with enough control to provide a differing workflow from software costs enough that I can't have a good software setup as well (especially when I also factor in how much I'd have to spend for enough I/O to use it all)

Sexor
Gear: Prophet6, Jupiter-7, MS25, Juno-50, TR-303, Rhodes 63

Post by Sexor » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:38 pm

tim gueguen wrote:
Syn303 wrote:Give people a digital synth with lots of menus, they won't program it, or will try and give up, or do very little programming.

Give people an analog synth or a modular and they are likely to use it/play it/make new sounds with it.
Perhaps with an analog synth without presets, where the user has no choice, but once presets came in manufacturers like Sequential Circuits found a majority of machines returned to them for repair still had the user presets intact.
If you were to look at the preset banks of my Jup6, Juno106 or whatever, you'd find all the original sounds because I always keep them in manual mode.... ...would it appear the same? Yes.
Monkey business since 2007!

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:06 pm

MitchK1989 wrote:The lack of midrange synths with a decent amount of control kind of forces me into the software VS hardware world, instead of being able to mix and match... as any hardware with enough control to provide a differing workflow from software costs enough that I can't have a good software setup as well
Yeah, unfortunately, it just isn't economical to design a knobby low/mid range synth these days, due to the cost of components. What a halfway decent switch or pot costs these days is obscene, and availability with the less common pot values is a constant problem.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:44 pm

cornutt wrote:
MitchK1989 wrote:The lack of midrange synths with a decent amount of control kind of forces me into the software VS hardware world
Yeah, unfortunately, it just isn't economical to design a knobby low/mid range synth these days, due to the cost of components.
I guess the word midrange means different things to different folks. Nord Lead 2, Radias, SH-201, MFB Synth II, MEK, FR XS, etc. are all in the $500-1500 range which to me is middle of the range.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

zukskywalker

Post by zukskywalker » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:54 pm

For low/mid range knobbage you might want to take a look at a Yamaha AN200 or DX200. Nice knobbage outbound over midi there. As for presets, IMHO it depends upon what the preset calls up. In my case presets call up entire rig configurations, hard and soft with good knobbage to both. It can get a bit unwieldly though if theres a glitch.

(PS: Beware- the main data knobs on the Yamaha "grooveboxes" are grunge magnets and act up BADLY if not taken good care of.)