Moog might be considering a new polysynth...

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Re: Moog might be considering a new polysynth...

Post by StepLogik » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:06 pm

the folks at Moog must be having quite a laugh right now :lol:

Carey M
Gear: Akai Miniak, Fender Chroma Polaris, Moog Sub Phatty, Roland SH-101, Roland Jupiter-4, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Komplete 8, Reaper, iPad, beer
Band: Nightsatan

Post by Carey M » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:18 pm

Johnny Lenin wrote:And, noting that the original post that sparked this whole thread was a fire-and-forget, without any source, I think we can assume that it's a troll. A delightfully entertaining troll, but a troll nonetheless.
NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! :sad5:

- CM

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:45 pm

Let’s think about a few things here. For the sake of argument, let’s say this is an updated memorymoog. The memorymoog featured some Curtis chips rather than all discrete components, this makes a significant difference in cost. Chips are the reason a lot of the classic and modern analog polysynths were/are “affordable”. I mean essentially a memorymoog is not all that different from a Jupiter 8 or Prophet 5 and a prophet ’08 is more or less the same idea as a prophet 5 using modern technology which also cuts costs. This would also separate the poly from the Voyager and LP making price-point comparison less applicable

If they were to do an all discrete polysynth it would probably have an astronomical price tag but few would buy it and it would probably not be worth their time to develop in the first place. No, I think if they were to develop a poly it would be in the same vein as the memorymoog which should keep costs down somewhat. You also have to consider other factors such as the price of vintage synths in comparison. Will many people pay an excessive amount for a new Moog poly when they can get a Memorymoog, Prophet 5, Jupiter 8, OB-Xa, 8 etc. for cheaper? I mean undoubtedly people will complain that is isn’t a classic synth and doesn’t quite sound the same. Thus people would be more inclined to stick to the classics, particularly if this synth costs more. No, I think the reason Moog might be contemplating a poly is that vintage prices have reached the realm in which it could be feasible for them to release a new product…
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

killanator
Gear: Alesis Quadrasynth, Roland SH-201, Various MIDI things, Samson MediaONE 5a Active Studio Monitors
Band: Solo

Post by killanator » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:16 am

i wonder what would happen if i made a thread called "Korg might be considering a new monosynth"

theglyph

Post by theglyph » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:38 am

.......? NO!
Last edited by theglyph on Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Eurorack modular, Voyager w/351,MF101.102.104.105B, LP Stage, Juno-106, Siel DK600, Paia 9700, Nord Electro 2, Ensoniq MR76

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:45 am

Johnny Lenin wrote: And, noting that the original post that sparked this whole thread was a fire-and-forget, without any source, I think we can assume that it's a troll. A delightfully entertaining troll, but a troll nonetheless.
Blast fooled again!! they knew our weakness and took advantage! However, if this thread reaches 10 pages by weds, it will have been worth it though.
Do you even post on vse bro?

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:19 am

killanator wrote:i wonder what would happen if i made a thread called "Korg might be considering a new monosynth"
yeah i also wanna see korg or roland release sth analog :lol:

Hair

Post by Hair » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:04 pm

Johnny Lenin wrote:I would imagine that any new R&D would require new hires -- maybe even poaching someone from DSI.
Haha didn't DSI just hire their fourth employee?

japan

Post by japan » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:23 pm

If Moog doesn't want to keep living from he past, has to develop a polysynth soon...

Moog remembers me somehow to Porsche...the Minimoog is like the 911, but Moog must learn from Porsche, and develop its own Cayenne and Cayman...the Little Phatty is like a Cayman. The Moog's Polysynth should be like a Porsche Panamera: Poly-Doors is the same that Poly-Phony...adapt or die.
"the simple life is no longer there..."

Johnny Lenin
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: JX8P | AX60 | Little Phatty Stage II | DW8000 | Vox Jag | Fantom X6 | Juno-G | P-Bass | AS-120 | Double Jet

Post by Johnny Lenin » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:20 pm

Hair wrote:Haha didn't DSI just hire their fourth employee?
Which makes me wonder, where are P08s actually made?

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:43 pm

Johnny Lenin wrote:
Hair wrote:Haha didn't DSI just hire their fourth employee?
Which makes me wonder, where are P08s actually made?
[youtube]2xPaBpwxB2U[/youtube]
I assume the four employees refers to people who work on the design of DSI products and doesn't include the assemblers. Although the process seems pretty thoroughly automated.
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

japan

Post by japan » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:50 pm

Interesting Tour...more than 4.
"the simple life is no longer there..."

Johnny Lenin
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: JX8P | AX60 | Little Phatty Stage II | DW8000 | Vox Jag | Fantom X6 | Juno-G | P-Bass | AS-120 | Double Jet

Post by Johnny Lenin » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:00 pm

That is cool. I wonder if Moog uses the same production technology, and how quick the retooling process is -- I mean, can you build Phatties circuit boards for a week, then quickly switch over to build poly circuit boards, and back again, or would Moog need to keep separate lines running? In the former case, the costs would be greatly reduced if the retooling process is quick. There's be no need to hire new line staff or invest in new manufacturing equipment. Depending on the speed of production, Moog could build up backlogs of circuit boards to keep the assemblers busy while it switches production... And since there would be a fair amount of interchangeability between manually-assembled parts, maybe it would be possible for Moog to bring a cost-effective poly to market...

Interesting.

ronP
Gear: BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO MT-70; KORG EA-1 mkII, MicroKorg, microSTATION, MicroX, Mini-KP, Monotron; ROLAND Micro Cube; ZOOM FS01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B
Band: Keyfish

Post by ronP » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:31 pm

oo

:D

The MOOG-LE

:D

oo
BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO Casiotone MT-70; KORG Electribe EA-1mkII, microKORG, mini-KP; QUIKLOK T20 T-REX Series X;
ROLAND Micro-CUBE; YAMAHA PSS130, PSS140; ZOOM FS-01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B

Wanted: BOSS DR-110; CASIO CZ-101; YAMAHA CS-01, DX-100

seamonkey

Post by seamonkey » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:14 pm

DIGITAL SCREAMS wrote:Moog are in talks with some big named artists about the possibility of a new polysynth.

Apparently they are already looking into the spec, layout and design.

Cheers

DS
I don't consider DIGITAL SCREAMS a troll, he's posted on here off and on and I've seen his posts on other forums, none of them worthy of Troll status, why he's chosen to drop this Topic here and not become involved in the discussion is curious.

I think the key words we need to look at are...MIGHT and POSSIBILITY....lots of wiggle room when using those words. :wink:
At any rate, I think an 8 voice poly Moog would be too expensive for the masses, perhaps something more like a 4 voice.
I think Moog realizes they need to broaden the Moog landscape with exciting products such as an updated Taurus pedal...who would've ever thought they'd be offering a Moog guitar? :shock:
Moog Voyager Roland D50 Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Wavestation Emulator II, Emax SE Plus, Korg King Korg, Korg Arp Odyssey(Whiteface), Minibrute, Takamine Acoustic Peavey Falcon electric